Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:26:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Directors: cunts and GBOLs

Started by Twit 2, April 02, 2019, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rasta-spouse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 03, 2019, 03:43:39 PM
....as there's nothing about him or in his childhood that would logically result in the sickness he puts on screen.

Read somewhere about a study on children's stories in the US. It was found that the kids from most stable backgrounds wrote the most disturbing stories, and kids with difficult home lives wrote stories that were about happiness and normality. Obs, it was the kids' backgrounds that were looked at not their personalities, but it's something to chew on, isn't it?

magval

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2019, 03:51:19 PM
From all the anecdotes about Allen on set I've heard I get the feeling he doesn't push or give direction. Perhaps one of the reasons his last 20 or so years of work have been quite nondescript.

The funniest Allen-directing anecdote was from one of the League of Gentleman guys on Herring's Podcast.

Share!

rasta-spouse

Quote from: magval on April 03, 2019, 06:20:57 PM
Share!

I'm concerned that I'll mangle it if I try and type it out. But it's there on download, I think its one of his main pods and not an Edinburgh one. Basically, it's an anecdote about Allen not being able to direct on Match Point (I think) told in a refreshing way that has very little reverence for the man. 

grassbath

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2019, 03:27:40 PM
There's definite evidence on Trier being a bellend. But none as far as I know on Haneke and Noe, it's unfair to put them in the c-box because they make distasteful, trangressive cinema.

Yeah fair play, was shooting from the hip a bit there, especially regards Haneke. I was really intensely put off Noe though after someone on here was critical of that creepy music video he shot (can't remember the song or artist now).

garbed_attic

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 03, 2019, 12:21:07 PM
Lynne Ramsay

A colleague who worked with her on a film has claimed she spent much of the time directing on crack, though I don't feel this automatically disqualifies her from being a GBOL (he also may have been speaking bollocks!)

garbed_attic

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2019, 03:27:40 PM
There's definite evidence on Trier being a bellend. But none as far as I know on Haneke and Noe, it's unfair to put them in the c-box because they make distasteful, trangressive cinema.

Haneke is irritatingly smug about his tendency towards shooting real animal death and abuse in his films, I find - the fish in The Seventh Continent; the horse being stabbed in the throat in Hour of the Wolf; the chicken having its head lobbed off in Caché... of course once feelings on whether this qualifies him as a cunt may defend somewhat on whether you're a vegetarian/vegan and your feelings about the morality of making animals suffer.

chveik

Cunt: Riefenstahl. self-explanatory really, but by god she really knew how to film. pity she's dead thought, she would have been perfect to direct one of those Marvel filums.

Sin Agog

I'm a vegan and, while it's not fun to watch and I'd recommend finding any other means available, I do find it hard to get too riled up about a single animal's death while abattoirs still exist.

Kenneth Anger opened up Hollywood Babylon talking about D.W. Griffith's paedophilic tendencies, particularly with Lillian Gish and her sister.  This is Hollywood Babylon we're talking about so either he's lying and the director Kenneth Anger's a cunt, or he's not and the director D.W. Griffith's a cunt.

greenman

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 03, 2019, 03:50:31 PM
I don't really agree with this.  It implies that horror directors don't view their work as being important; that they consider horror to be rather frivolous.  I don't think that's the case at all.

I don't think it implies they don't see value in their work just that they don't tend to take it to the extremes that many self styled auteurs mentioned so far likely do/did. That's also not a judgement on the actual quality of their work, moreso the mindset of the director.

magval

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2019, 06:28:30 PM
I'm concerned that I'll mangle it if I try and type it out. But it's there on download, I think its one of his main pods and not an Edinburgh one. Basically, it's an anecdote about Allen not being able to direct on Match Point (I think) told in a refreshing way that has very little reverence for the man.

I'll listen to the pod (episode 11 so it's before he was filming them) again soon and see if it's worth uploading that segment. Thanks for the recommendation.

garbed_attic

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 03, 2019, 07:40:53 PM
I'm a vegan and, while it's not fun to watch and I'd recommend finding any other means available, I do find it hard to get too riled up about a single animal's death while abattoirs still exist.

Kenneth Anger opened up Hollywood Babylon talking about D.W. Griffith's paedophilic tendencies, particularly with Lillian Gish and her sister.  This is Hollywood Babylon we're talking about so either he's lying and the director Kenneth Anger's a cunt, or he's not and the director D.W. Griffith's a cunt.

There's a whole season of the podcast You Must Remember This just on fact checking Hollywood Babylon. Anger's entertaining but he is definitely a cunt!

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes?category=Hollywood%20Babylon

Ignatius_S

Quote from: gout_pony on April 03, 2019, 08:00:18 PM
There's a whole season of the podcast You Must Remember This just on fact checking Hollywood Babylon. Anger's entertaining but he is definitely a cunt!

Ah, thanks for the heads-up - I'm so behind with that podcast. Getting back on track, so much of Hollywood Babylon has been throughly debunked it's not practical to take any of it on trust.

There's a biography of Lupe Velez that I've got, which does a great job demolishing what Anger wrote but it's sad to think that its the latter that people will be mostly aware of now.

Sin Agog

I'd say she ended up verifying more stories were true than I expected when I first read it as some lurid poolside trash written by a mad but endlessly entertaining queen who drove Bobby Beausoleil to the comfort of Charles Manson's bosom to escape from his Uncle Monty-esque advances.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 03, 2019, 10:36:26 AMOne of Kubrick's daughters was on set and protested about the way they handled snakes. That was one incident, along with the situation during the shooting of Heaven's Gate, which resulted in monitors from American Humane being brought on sets to supervise scenes with animals.

And everyone's fine with American Humane using lizards as supervisors?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gout_pony on April 03, 2019, 07:13:28 PM
A colleague who worked with her on a film has claimed she spent much of the time directing on crack, though I don't feel this automatically disqualifies her from being a GBOL (he also may have been speaking bollocks!)

Admittedly I've never worked for her, or even met her, but I've been following her career VERY closely since her pre-Ratcatcher shorts days, and I call absolute bollocks on that.

But, like you say, it doesn't mean she's a cunt.

Besides, she's a weegie, so it would be heroine or street methadone.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on April 04, 2019, 12:46:43 AM
And everyone's fine with American Humane using lizards as supervisors?
Hahahaha!

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on April 04, 2019, 08:54:10 AM
Besides, she's a weegie, so it would be heroine or street methadone.

Smack's more an embra thing.

Petey Pate

Add Alejandro Jorodowsky to the list of film directors with little concern for animal rights, with this scene from The Holy Mountain being the first which comes to mind.

Bronzy

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 04, 2019, 03:31:22 PM
Add Alejandro Jorodowsky to the list of film directors with little concern for animal rights, with this scene from The Holy Mountain being the first which comes to mind.

How do you know that lizard didn't want to wear that?

Maybe the lad/lass was just very keen on being fashionable?

Goldentony

He's best mates with Satan isn't he? That kind of sway will drive anyone to just cut about being a tosser

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Petey Pate on April 04, 2019, 03:31:22 PM

Jod already mentioned earlier in the thread, however, like Ruggero Deodato, in retrospect he regretted all that - "times were different then" and all that, ditto Monte Hellman (and I would defend Cockfighter because it's basically a documentary about cockfighting), so I, personally, wouldn't put any of them in cunt category for that alone.  Your mileage will no doubt vary.

phantom_power

I felt a bit uneasy watching Wake In Fright and all the Kangaroo murder in it but apparently the director is very pro animal rights and just filmed a real Kangaroo hunt, in part to show just how brutal and barbaric it was. So Ted Kotcheff, seemed like a cunt, actually GBOL

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: phantom_power on April 04, 2019, 04:21:59 PM
I felt a bit uneasy watching Wake In Fright and all the Kangaroo murder in it but apparently the director is very pro animal rights and just filmed a real Kangaroo hunt, in part to show just how brutal and barbaric it was. So Ted Kotcheff, seemed like a cunt, actually GBOL

Yes - early on in the editing process he actually cut quite a lot out himself from the 'roo hunt (he originally intended to include the whole thing) because of how barbaric it got.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I never resist an opportunity to mention Jerry Lewis on this site, but this is probably relevant.

Despite being a notorious mega-cunt in real life, his sets were apparently very harmonious. He respected his actors and crew - he was always very generous in his praise for the latter, they taught him how to make films - and I've never read any reports of him losing his rag while directing. On the contrary, he was apparently very open to collaboration and improvisation.

Not a very nice man otherwise, though. A complicated cat, a cunty GBOL.

Mr Banlon

Billy Wilder stood up for those blacklisted during the McCarthy witch hunts, so he's a GBOLs in my book.

Sebastian Cobb

Ida Lupino seemed like a GBOL.

Bronzy

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 04, 2019, 10:25:38 PM
I never resist an opportunity to mention Jerry Lewis on this site, but this is probably relevant.

Despite being a notorious mega-cunt in real life, his sets were apparently very harmonious. He respected his actors and crew - he was always very generous in his praise for the latter, they taught him how to make films - and I've never read any reports of him losing his rag while directing. On the contrary, he was apparently very open to collaboration and improvisation.

Not a very nice man otherwise, though. A complicated cat, a cunty GBOL.

This interview pushes me towards thinking he's more of a cunt.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s8SfWiNhTJo

I feel sorry for the interviewer, but it's fucking hilarious to watch.

"You tell 'em you're playing there and they show up" kills me every time.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

As I said in my post, Lewis was a notorious cunt. I was talking specifically about his behaviour on set, which was apparently fine by all accounts.

Also, I don't feel sorry for the interviewer at all there, his questions are asinine. Lewis could've handled the interview more graciously, no doubt about that, but I'm sort of on his side for once.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Bronzy on April 05, 2019, 03:42:30 AM
This interview pushes me towards thinking he's more of a cunt.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=s8SfWiNhTJo

I feel sorry for the interviewer, but it's fucking hilarious to watch.

"You tell 'em you're playing there and they show up" kills me every time.

It didn't really help that the interviewer's questions kept referring to Jerry Lewis being 90. He may as well have said " DEAD SOON, EH ? " to him.