Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:46:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Directors: cunts and GBOLs

Started by Twit 2, April 02, 2019, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greenman

Quote from: rasta-spouse on April 03, 2019, 06:28:30 PM
I'm concerned that I'll mangle it if I try and type it out. But it's there on download, I think its one of his main pods and not an Edinburgh one. Basically, it's an anecdote about Allen not being able to direct on Match Point (I think) told in a refreshing way that has very little reverence for the man.

Although I think ironically Match Point would probably be the best example of recent Allen making a film that shows conventional directing ability. Again though I do often get the sense that his films aren't really pushing those involved, actors generally give decent performances but it seems he and they are happy to go along with the script in that fashion. In Blanchet's case it seemed like she was going beyond that comfort zone were the film would be about an arrogant dislikeable socialite brought low and actively trying to make the character far more pitiable.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gout_pony on April 03, 2019, 08:00:18 PM
There's a whole season of the podcast You Must Remember This just on fact checking Hollywood Babylon. Anger's entertaining but he is definitely a cunt!

http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes?category=Hollywood%20Babylon

I've been meaning to get into these since someone mentioned one in a chat about noirs. Can you recommend some episodes to get going with?

Sin Agog

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 05, 2019, 01:57:25 PM
I've been meaning to get into these since someone mentioned one in a chat about noirs. Can you recommend some episodes to get going with?

The Blacklist and the Manson runs would be a good start.  The former in particular, what with you being a Noir-head and everything.  Must admit, it did take a few eps for me to get over the host's mild vocal fry.

Keebleman

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 05, 2019, 07:17:29 AM
It didn't really help that the interviewer's questions kept referring to Jerry Lewis being 90. He may as well have said " DEAD SOON, EH ? " to him.

But this was one of a series of interviews with nonagenarian celebs that was all about working in the industry at 90-plus.  Betty White, Dick Van Dyke and Tony Bennett were among the others interviewed.  Lewis knew what the theme would be when he agreed to it.  The only allowance I can make for him is that by being so unhelpful he hoped the piece would have been amusing, but even if that was the case as soon as it became clear the poor kid was scared to death he should have relented.

Blumf

The interviewer was terrible though. Such limp questions that show almost zero preparation.

Bronzy

I have a little bit of sympathy for him because it seemed to me that he was extremely nervous, that may have been because he was just excited to meet a comedy legend or because he was thrown off by Lewis' dry, sarcastic nature.

The bit where Lewis mocks the interviewer's laugh is great though. I guess comedic timing never leaves you.

Bazooka

He's always seemed nice in interviews, but Spielberg just sat by idly whilst Robert Shaw was devoured by that shark, doesn't sit right.

greenman

Quote from: Bazooka on April 06, 2019, 10:54:18 AM
He's always seemed nice in interviews, but Spielberg just sat by idly whilst Robert Shaw was devoured by that shark, doesn't sit right.

That and he's so cheap he wears freebee merchandise from his own films.

jobotic

Quote from: Blumf on April 05, 2019, 03:45:40 PM
The interviewer was terrible though. Such limp questions that show almost zero preparation.

Is one of the questions about his jumper changing colour?