Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:16:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists who lose something when recorded

Started by Clownbaby, April 03, 2019, 11:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: imitationleather on April 03, 2019, 12:56:34 PM
You like Huey Lewis and the News? Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humour.

Yes, in '87, Huey released Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Absorb the anus burn

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 04, 2019, 10:20:53 AM
I love DEVO but I've always been secretly disappointed that all their other albums departed so much from what was going on on Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are DEVO cause that is one of my favourite albums of all time, and as much as I like the more electronic songs they did after I just want more debut album and Hardcore DEVO manicness.

I saw them live in 1990 performing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrX5aCYosJY

The "Shout Suite" live is amazing, but in studio (on albums 6 and 7) it comes over flat as a pancake..... Here it is called "Somewhere With DEVO" at 48m15s.

Chriddof

https://americansongwriter.com/2011/02/hes-a-soul-man-an-interview-with-huey-lewis/

QuoteAt the time, did you think the hits would keep coming forever? Why do you think it stopped?

"Small World" was the first single we had that didn't crack the Top 20 in almost 20 singles in a row. The single was an edit. That was a mistake I made.

My dad was a jazzer. Zoot Sims had died and Stan Getz was at the funeral. He said "You're Huey Lewis. Feed me a stray cat." He gave me a card that said, "Stan Getz: Feed Me A Stray Cat."

mrpupkin

Quote from: Glebe on April 03, 2019, 07:31:22 PM
The first Nomeansno album I heard was 'Live+Cuddly' , courtesy of my brother, who saw them live a couple of times... I missed out on that, but I subsequently discovered that their studio albums sounded very staid compared to their incredible live energy on that record.

Whaaaaaat.....Wrong in particular is bursting at the seams from start to finish. Put it on now and tell me it sounds 'very staid', and I will eat my hat! Incredible as they were live I don't feel a lack of energy on the records at all. But that's just like, my opinion man.

samadriel

While being recorded for "Warning Sign", David Byrne dropped his keys and could not find them.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 04, 2019, 10:17:15 AM
Same. Apart from To Bring You My Love, I've always thought her albums are very flatly mixed

Recently I think there was a thread about great albums ruined by shitty production and "Rid Of Me" was the first one that sprang to mind. Albini works well with some bands (eg the Jesus LIzard records he produced in the 90s are fucking flawless), but I think he really messed up the sound on that record.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: mrpupkin on April 04, 2019, 11:27:43 AM
Whaaaaaat.....Wrong in particular is bursting at the seams from start to finish. Put it on now and tell me it sounds 'very staid', and I will eat my hat! Incredible as they were live I don't feel a lack of energy on the records at all. But that's just like, my opinion man.

Yeah, totally. Wrong is a belter. The chorus on "The Tower" in particular makes me want to absolutely scream the heavens down, one of those tunes that has the same effect on you with every listen. "Violence is close at hand. You're damned if you do, and if you don't... DAMNED!!"

Jockice

Bhundu Boys.
Mighty Mighty Bosstones.
The Gargoyles.

All three in my top 20 (or maybe even ten) gigs of all time (with the first of these at number one) but their records were a bit meh. I also saw My Life Story when uncharacteristically absolutely bladdered in the mid-90s and thought they were the greatest band on earth. I think that may have been the drink talking in that case though.

The Who more or less had this problem for their entire career, bar Who's Next and possibly their debut - neither truly capturing their hooligan bombast. Quadrophenia is so flat and drab sounding  I've never managed to sit through the whole thing in one go.

For all their boorishness Led Zeppelin at least knew how to bottle the lightning.

NoSleep

I saw Osibisa live several times and they were always great, however their albums don't convey any of the excitement of the band.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on April 05, 2019, 07:16:00 PM

Mighty Mighty Bosstones.

If we're talking nineties third wave ska bands? The Toasters. Potato 5, Maroon Town, The Loafers, The Hot Knives, Skaos, The Riffs, Skankin' Pickle, The Deltones...I could go on.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on April 06, 2019, 08:50:31 PM
If we're talking nineties third wave ska bands? The Toasters. Potato 5, Maroon Town, The Loafers, The Hot Knives, Skaos, The Riffs, Skankin' Pickle, The Deltones...I could go on.

Blimey!