Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fleabag - Series 2 [split topic]

Started by shh, March 04, 2019, 11:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shh

New series has started on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p071bk3f/fleabag-series-2-episode-1

More of the same really, probably more knowing than funny - I do enjoy those 'Miranda' glances at the camera, despite knowing how lazy it is.

Norton Canes

Bad Ambassador

Crabwalk

I'm very worried that Andrew Scott is playing a major character in this series. His unbearable overacting has ruined many a show and film for me.

neveragain

Seconded.
He was good in a five minute snippet of Angels in America at the National Theatre 50 Years thing but apart from that I've always found him irritating.

Small Man Big Horse

I liked this a lot, it's a slow burn initially but the cast and script are so strong it's just fun to spend time with them.

a duncandisorderly

is she also doing the music again? aren't there rules about this sort of thing? I watched the first series & thought 'this is why BBC3 is going away'; it was competent stuff, engaging even, but still felt rather dated & sitcommy. then there's the fact that she has so much input herself, including the music- is this a good thing?

>fires up iplayer<

MiddleRabbit

arpster

quite enjoy this....but at the same time there's something about it that I find really fuckin annoying but cant quite put my finger on...I suspect the relentless worship-wanking over it by a procession of Guardian journo's may have clouded my view...

Jittlebags

Was good. Nice dynamics. Looking forwards to see how this pans out. Should really rewatch S1 really before commencing.

Mango Chimes

Miranda for people who identify with This Life, isn't it?

chveik

Quote from: Mango Chimes on March 05, 2019, 12:29:13 AM
Miranda for people who identify with This Life, isn't it?

what does this even mean?

it's fine really, a bit lazy I suppose.

Virgo76

The first series was superb. I can't really fault it ("lazy" seems a particularly bizarre criticism. How the hell is it lazy?).
Whereas that began funny and grew increasingly dramatic, this seemed more dramatic from the start (and, yes, less funny). Spent most of the episode thinking it wasn't quite as good as the first series. By the end, was less sure. Will see how it pans out.
Was a bit concerned about Andrew Scott's casting at first as it looked a bit like celebrity casting. But he looks like he'll be good in it. And besides, he's no more famous than Colman or Patterson were in series one. Or indeed, than PWB is now.
A good start but a lot to live up to.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on March 04, 2019, 10:13:15 PM
is she also doing the music again? aren't there rules about this sort of thing? I watched the first series & thought 'this is why BBC3 is going away'; it was competent stuff, engaging even, but still felt rather dated & sitcommy. then there's the fact that she has so much input herself, including the music- is this a good thing?

>fires up iplayer<

It was her sister who did the music for the first series, but I don't know if she's back for the second series or not.

Quote from: Virgo76 on March 05, 2019, 08:43:39 AM
Was a bit concerned about Andrew Scott's casting at first as it looked a bit like celebrity casting. But he looks like he'll be good in it. And besides, he's no more famous than Colman or Patterson were in series one. Or indeed, than PWB is now.
A good start but a lot to live up to.

Apparently they've been friends for ages ever since they did a play together ten years ago, and the role was written specifically for him. I thought he was decent too, and fits in with the rest of the cast really well.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: chveik on March 05, 2019, 03:34:03 AM
what does this even mean?

Posh woman in her 30s looks to camera, with sex and drugs?

jsgibble

They've got a few superficial things in common but they're completely different really

Uncle TechTip

Miranda with bumsex?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,54624.msg2892800.html#msg2892800

Miranda glances.

(Scroll up a bit)

Ban multi page threads and ban bumping old threads.

McFlymo

I enjoyed S02E01, but (mildly) irked by a couple of bits:

Fleabag walking away when the priest started talking to her outside. Then grinning charmingly when he said, "Fuck you!" Not sure what this was doing. Highlighting some sort of "edgy" sexual tension? Later, he gives her his number: No attempt at edgy tension, like her rolling her eyes at his obvious attempt to make a connection with her.

neveragain

Fleabag's got a weird taste in men and issues with self image (she'll tell you as much in a filthy to-camera monologue.) As such, she was probably a bit turned on by the "Fuck you".

KennyMonster

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 04, 2019, 04:25:44 PM
I'm very worried that Andrew Scott is playing a major character in this series. His unbearable overacting has ruined many a show and film for me.

Couldn't disagree more, Birdland is one of my all time favourites, he was ace in that and his Hamlet redefined the role for a generation.

I guess different people have different tastes and all but 'overacting'?!?

kalowski

Quote from: shh on March 04, 2019, 11:54:30 AM
New series has started on iplayer https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p071bk3f/fleabag-series-2-episode-1

More of the same really, probably more knowing than funny - I do enjoy those 'Miranda' glances at the camera, despite knowing how lazy it is.
I've not watched a single episode of either series, simply because of those glances at the camera that are shown so regularly in adverts.

Crabwalk

Quote from: KennyMonster on March 07, 2019, 05:42:33 AM
Couldn't disagree more, Birdland is one of my all time favourites, he was ace in that and his Hamlet redefined the role for a generation.

I guess different people have different tastes and all but 'overacting'?!?

For me, he often brings a bag of affectations to his roles that really distract me. I'd call that overacting and it works better on stage than on screen.

For the record, I thought he was fine in that first episode though.

poodlefaker

The trouble with the asides to camera is that she often uses them to explain the joke, or worse, tell you what the next joke's going to be. Something like:

1. Voice over: "My boyfriend always cleans the flat when we split up"

2. To camera: "sometimes I dump him because the flat's looking a mess"

3. Next shot: she's lying  in bed, running her finger along the top of a dusty bedside table. Says to him "I don't think this is working..."

Credit the audience with the ability to link 3. back to 1. without 2. in the middle to show us the way.

rasta-spouse

Some heavy stuff in the first episode of the new season, but it seemed like a step down from s1 (which felt v. fresh)...there's something about it where it feels like it's just coasting along. But the super cast really helps it.

Don't know if it was because of the comments made here, but I did start seeing similarities to Miranda in the first few minutes (something which I'd not really compared it to before).

BlodwynPig

I enjoyed it, but perhaps aimed towards a more knowing and wider audience (i.e., with an eye on the liberal glitterati States side).

kalowski

Quote from: kalowski on March 07, 2019, 06:26:29 AM
I've not watched a single episode of either series, simply because of those glances at the camera that are shown so regularly in adverts.
I now have caught a few episodes as my wife's been watching it.

It's worse than I imagined.

And there are even more glances at the camera than I expected.

BlodwynPig

It's descended into Miranda level dross

jsgibble

The last episode was interesting but I'm not sure on it, I'll probably have to watch it again