Author Topic: Fleabag - Series 2 [split topic]  (Read 6553 times)

Janie Jones

• And you'll spit on my grave
Re: Fleabag - Series 2 [split topic]
« Reply #150 on: April 10, 2019, 07:06:48 PM »
The Guardian have today published an article entitled "How to survive after Fleabag"., with a welterweight of writers all advising us to listen to St. Vincent and Liz Phair and read Edith Frome, in order to get through these post-mildly interesting sitcom written by a posh bird times.
That was jolly nice of The Guardian, wasn't it?
They've also published this, which tells anyone who wasn't sure on the matter that Hot Priest is actually an 'exploitative muppet'
https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/2019/apr/10/how-should-we-feel-about-andrew-scott-priest-fleabag

BlodwynPig

• Throwing two dogs at a goblin
« Reply #151 on: April 10, 2019, 07:14:38 PM »
Sorry but

Sorry but

Sorry but

Sorry but Hadley Freeman is a failed journalist.

chocolate teapot

• chantepleure
« Reply #152 on: April 10, 2019, 07:41:02 PM »
Sorry but

Sorry but

Sorry but

Sorry but Hadley Freeman is a failed journalist.

Mm I agree with this. There's also a jess philips column on how fleabag should be pm or something. It's all terrible stuff.

BlodwynPig

« Reply #153 on: April 10, 2019, 07:46:41 PM »
When someone writes "such and such should be PM", they should do it and have no right to reply when their life is inevitably ruined by such and such and their uselessness. ... it's how Theresa May became PM, after all.

« Reply #154 on: April 10, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
Yeah, I've  enjoyed this, but was disappointed by the last one, well Richard Curtissy. Could've been Bridget Jones. Whoever mentioned Holding On a few pages back was spot on: this type of TV has been around for ages; it's not radically new.

HO was fantastic in my memory, has it ever been repeated?

« Reply #155 on: April 11, 2019, 08:07:52 AM »
Thought I'd quickly check the Fleabag thread to make sure that this place is continuing to dislike things based on how many other people like it, combined with some thinly-veiled inverse snobbery. Glad to see CaB hasn't let me down. The critique is lame, but points for consistency.

« Reply #156 on: April 11, 2019, 08:21:10 AM »
a napkin is made of cloth and a serviette is made of paper.

That is a perfectly acceptable non-U usage.

« Reply #157 on: April 11, 2019, 08:33:15 AM »
Thought I'd quickly check the Fleabag thread to make sure that this place is continuing to dislike things based on how many other people like it, combined with some thinly-veiled inverse snobbery. Glad to see CaB hasn't let me down. The critique is lame, but points for consistency.

If ever there were a show designed to infuriate CaB's angry sociopathic borderline-incel Class War wing, it's Fleabag.

On another note, I like how the main character is referred to as Fleabag in listings and PR stuff but obviously never as such in the show. Like yer woman Dr Who.

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #158 on: April 11, 2019, 09:52:57 AM »

To read the Fleabag thread fully turn to page 1. To prance in like a nincompoop turn to page 5 and wretch up a big sick at the first sight of a post that confirms your bias

Chose yer own CaBventure

« Reply #159 on: April 11, 2019, 11:44:31 AM »

More like Bryan... Cocks! Eh?

BlodwynPig

« Reply #160 on: April 11, 2019, 02:21:02 PM »

HA!!

Oh for the wings of any bird
Other than, a battery hen

Janie Jones

« Reply #161 on: April 12, 2019, 12:59:00 PM »
Yeah, I've  enjoyed this, but was disappointed by the last one, well Richard Curtissy. Could've been Bridget Jones.
Agreed.

The Guardian has wrung another page of filler out of 'The Fleabag Effect'
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/12/fleabag-effect-sees-surge-in-sales-of-jumpsuits-and-red-dresses

chveik

• NON SERVIAM
« Reply #162 on: April 15, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »

If ever there were a show designed to infuriate CaB's angry sociopathic borderline-incel Class War wing, it's Fleabag.

I really don't care if the writer's a woman and upper-class. most of the best (and the funniest in my mind) British writers belong to this category (Eliot, Townsend Warner, Woolf, Austen etc.). the first series was quite good (still hugely overrated of course), but this one was utter shite.

neveragain

• like those swamp tar pits that bubble and go Gloop
« Reply #163 on: April 16, 2019, 12:26:15 AM »
I don't know how - if you enjoyed the first series - you can say that of the Women In Business Award episode. Loads of funny moments and excellent scenes with Claire and (particularly) Kristin Scott Thomas. The first episode too, basically a little play in the restaurant, was also very nicely written.

« Reply #164 on: April 16, 2019, 03:25:20 AM »
Phoebe Waller-Bridge brought in to liven up new Bond script

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/14/james-bond-script-phoebe-waller-bridge-fleabag-daniel-craig

Q: Bond, you are an expert at getting into tight spots..

Bond smirks directly at the camera

Bond: Well, I do have a reputation I suppose.

Q: Oh James, you must take this seriously. I have a new gadget and as you do like a close shave it might help.

Bond whispers to camera

"Close shave? I prefer a Brazilian to be honest"

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

• a hopeless vanity... a stupefyingly futile conceit
    • Me Twitter
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2019, 04:04:54 AM »

You should probably read the thread properly, then. Idiot.

Vitalstatistix

• Photocopies are not admissable as memories
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2019, 04:12:07 AM »
I really liked the first series but ended up hating the second, despite a few good moments early on.

I refuse to believe I've changed, so must conclude that, despite the breathless hyperbole of the critics, there's been a drastic plunge in quality.

For the record, I don't hate women or posh people. It just got crap.

« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2019, 08:49:51 AM »
I felt the first series was a bit all over the place but had a strong ending that tied it all together and explained a few ongoing character traits in a satisfying way.

The second series was, again, all over the place with some strong episodes, but the ending didn't really wrap things up in the same way - it mostly just tied off a few plot threads that could have easily been unresolved. The whole "I've learned to love again" aspect was presumably meant to be the reverse of the first series' ending but it had nowhere near the same impact. It wasn't like she spent the series bereft and trying to rebuild her life, and her relationship with the priest mostly (confession scene aside) felt like a bit of flirty fun rather than a soul-shattering event that changed everything for her.

« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2019, 09:41:31 AM »
Just in Dutch news that Phoebe Waller will be helping with the new Bond movie.

Janie Jones

phes

• operating as a shape
« Reply #170 on: April 16, 2019, 10:03:12 AM »
Just make her the lead. I'd watch a Bond that was a public transit using drunken fuckgirl with a rucksack full of guinea pigs. God James Bond is such dross

« Reply #171 on: April 16, 2019, 10:06:13 AM »
Hasn't Cleese been sent the Bond scripts for the last twenty years to "sprinkle magic" on them (in his words)? It's completely unnoticeable if he has.

And now Waller-Bridge's pipped him to the post he'll have even more things to complain about. Oh, Cleese.

BritishHobo

• That is a really reductive impression
« Reply #172 on: April 16, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
Have they tried not making any more fucking James Bond films

ZoyzaSorris

• if you can smell me it's too late
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2019, 07:55:30 AM »
Am I missing something? We watched the first couple of episodes of first series and couldnt be bothered with it. Privileged woman played by a privileged woman says rude words a lot and breaks the fourth wall like Miranda doesnt seem like a hefty concept on which to hang a series. Maybe its not meant for me, as I cant stand the Guardian and find the lives of upper middle class North Londoners pretty dull.

« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2019, 08:10:28 AM »
Phoebe Waller-Bridge brought in to liven up new Bond script

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/14/james-bond-script-phoebe-waller-bridge-fleabag-daniel-craig

Q: Bond, you are an expert at getting into tight spots..

Bond smirks directly at the camera

Bond: Well, I do have a reputation I suppose.

Q: Oh James, you must take this seriously. I have a new gadget and as you do like a close shave it might help.

Bond whispers to camera

"Close shave? I prefer a Brazilian to be honest"

Made me laugh more than any line in the second series.

« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »
So this is Girls but about one Girl in Eng-a-land?

« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2019, 09:03:14 AM »
Am I missing something? We watched the first couple of episodes of first series and couldnt be bothered with it. Privileged woman played by a privileged woman says rude words a lot and breaks the fourth wall like Miranda doesnt seem like a hefty concept on which to hang a series. Maybe its not meant for me, as I cant stand the Guardian and find the lives of upper middle class North Londoners pretty dull.

Probably best avoid watching anything with anyone who might have any money on ever then. Good luck!

Not sure The Guardian is ever mentioned in any episodes?

Loved both series. Because they're good.

« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »
I think ZoyzaSorris was referring to the Guardian's recent odd behaviour, that is to say having the same attitude to "Fleabag" and Phoebe Waller-Posh as "Jackie" Magazine had towards David Cassidy in the 1970s. Were any pull out posters or free iron-on transfers involved in their recent "Fleabag" reportage? Wouldn't surprise me if there had been, no sir, no surprise at all.

icehaven

• I will be in the bar, with my head on the bar
« Reply #179 on: April 17, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
I think ZoyzaSorris was referring to the Guardian's recent odd behaviour, that is to say having the same attitude to "Fleabag" and Phoebe Waller-Posh as "Jackie" Magazine had towards David Cassidy in the 1970s. Were any pull out posters or free iron-on transfers involved in their recent "Fleabag" reportage? Wouldn't surprise me if there had been, no sir, no surprise at all.

Yep I've not watched Fleabag but I have a look at the Guardian website most days and I seriously thought it must be the televisual equivalent of the Lord Jesus Christ's return. It doesn't really look like my kind of thing anyway so I don't think I'll be bothering but there's no way in hell it could possibly live up to how they've described it. They do this though, I absolutely loved Mad Men, loved it to bits, but the Guardian, my god half their writers must have had to take the day off to calm down after each episode.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 05:47:46 PM by icehaven »