Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:04:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fleabag - Series 2 [split topic]

Started by shh, March 04, 2019, 11:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 29, 2019, 10:39:52 PM
It's descended into Miranda level dross
There was an episode set in some sort of clichéd silent retreat. I'm amazed they didn't have a "talking stick". That episode made her public school background ruthlessly obvious.

chocolate teapot

Fuck. Well I've been really enjoying it, the glances to camera are going somewhere I didn't expect.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chocolate teapot on March 30, 2019, 01:01:55 PM
Fuck. Well I've been really enjoying it, the glances to camera are going somewhere I didn't expect.

If it was a sci-fi or horror, then yes.

pigamus

I'm surprised there isn't more talk about this on here. Every time it pops up on my Twitter feed it's somebody raving about how incredible it is. (I haven't seen it.)

Z

Season one was mostly fun but the central arc with the friend fell really flat for me. Season 2 isn't really working at all for me atm.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Z on March 30, 2019, 06:07:24 PM
Season one was mostly fun but the central arc with the friend fell really flat for me. Season 2 isn't really working at all for me atm.

it's the fucking "raggedy cool hipster" priest hogging the show

MiddleRabbit

I'm enjoying it.

What I did find a bit egregious was the response of a lot of women on Twitter to the priest who, as far as I could gather, was taking advantage of someone at their lowest ebb and all the majority of the Twitter women had to say about it was 'Phwoar, I wouldn't mind being manipulated and exploited by a man if they looked like him.'

I was surprised at that response and, to be honest, a bit horrified. 

chocolate teapot

If I found him attractive I'd be going along with the phwoarness too which makes me shallow, I don't reckon he is manipulative so far, the fact he is able to encompass Fleabag's world by noticing her talk to camera, who a lot of people are suggesting could be her dead friend, is a connection between each other only soulmates could have.

It sort of transcends normal relationship this man is a saviour trope and it seems like he is as vulnerable and open to manipulation as she is. I dunno, they're both fucked up and flawed and capable of ruining each other's lives but the connection lifts it from automatically going down that road.

BritishHobo

I do think the show's done something really brilliant with that last episode. That turn at the end was fantastic. Even I was thinking 'fucking hell, yes please Andrew' when he tore that curtain away, but the way it's flipped the relationship so quickly and expertly. All series positioning him as a hunky priest on the receiving end of her sexual pushiness, hoping he can help her find some peace with herself - and then watching her in the depths of that confession, and he completely fails in the one thing he's supposed to be doing. Any cunt could offer guidance and counsel in that moment, she's fully open to it, and he fucks up his duty in a deeper way than just giving up celibacy.

It is a bit shit if everyone's just talking about what a fitty he is, although I guess that's Twitter, innit. Quick snappy soundbites.

Blue Jam

I don't get that either. He's Moriarty FFS. Moriarty wasn't fit, and he's a creepy bastard. Also I'm old enough to remember hatewatching Sex And The City and that whole "Friar Fuck" plot.

Loving series 2 all the same. Fleabag herself was never very discerning ("I hate myself"; "You'll fuck anything won't you?") so her attraction to Father Moriarty still works for me.

Dannyhood91

I absolutely love Fleabag. This isn't as good as the first series imo but I'm curious to see where it's going. I like the relationship with her sister a lot.

Glyn

Highlight so far for me this series was the foxes discussion. Wasn't fully convinced about the priest character until that but the look of utter fear on his face was fantastic.

poodlefaker

I think this is far stronger than the first series, which relied too heavily on ooo-er sex lol. bit more depth here. she is skilled enough to pull off really obvious stuff like dropping that glass award and keep it funny

chocolate teapot

Latest episode was shit.. or definitely not as good as 1-4.

Things I kind of like looking back

Clare's haircut turning out to be what she asked for.
Hugh's appearance, things seem to be going well. He took the apron.
Oh god stepmum is going to blow but she was sympathetic. CUUUUNNNNNNNT.
haha clare's massive bunch of flowers and plants, what was that for? Just a pre wedding gift?

I too was worried Clare's husband was going to hurt the gerbil. The lawyer stuff felt like filler.

Yeah the priest plot point has lost it's edge but I think nearing the last ever episode....do we need fleabag and priest love? I don't find him endearing anymore, the relationship now feeling a bit rushed but they have that connection - he seems to inhabit her inner world.

Also I need to learn their names.

BlodwynPig

Jittlebags

I like the 4th wall collapse with the priest. And the lawyer made her spoff 9 times. Maybe they should have concentrated on that.

Clownbaby

Quote from: kalowski on March 29, 2019, 10:38:22 PM
I now have caught a few episodes as my wife's been watching it.

It's worse than I imagined.

And there are even more glances at the camera than I expected.

They're really really pushing this show and in the Radio Times they keep referring to Fleabag as "our heroine"

I've been really put off by the looks at the camera. I've never enjoyed that, characters looking at the camera. Every clip I've seen of this show has annoyed me so I probably won't be catching up at any point. My mam can't stand the clip where she's at the Quaker meeting and she's looking round and whispering about how erotic it is. I can't put my finger on why it's so annoying but it just is.

Clownbaby

Quote from: poodlefaker on March 07, 2019, 09:30:17 AM
The trouble with the asides to camera is that she often uses them to explain the joke, or worse, tell you what the next joke's going to be. Something like:

1. Voice over: "My boyfriend always cleans the flat when we split up"

2. To camera: "sometimes I dump him because the flat's looking a mess"

3. Next shot: she's lying  in bed, running her finger along the top of a dusty bedside table. Says to him "I don't think this is working..."

Credit the audience with the ability to link 3. back to 1. without 2. in the middle to show us the way.

This is a recurring problem I'm finding with a lot of comedies from the past few years. They never seem confident in their jokes to just let them breathe without coming across as overwritten. Something I also hate is in smart-arsey sort-of-inspired-by-the-Office US-and-Community shows (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, New Girl) where every character has the same smug overly wordy way of explaining the shit out of things the other characters have said with a pithy remark or just responding to their quirkiness instead of just reacting with a look. It's hard to describe bit I know what I mean.

Chollis

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 03, 2019, 11:43:23 AM
My mam can't stand the clip where she's at the Quaker meeting and she's looking round and whispering about how erotic it is. I can't put my finger on why it's so annoying but it just is.

Yeah that clip strengthened my resolve to never watch this show.

phes

is this an Anna from This Life spin-off. I like Wotsit Jones she seems to be naturally funny which helps this otherwise unremarkable and dated sitcom

mrpupkin

I went to one of those silent Quaker meetings in that same room a while ago. All I remember is an old man's silent fart. Was not erotic.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: mrpupkin on April 03, 2019, 01:31:18 PM
I went to one of those silent Quaker meetings in that same room a while ago. All I remember is an old man's silent fart. Was not erotic.

Phwoaaaaar.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 03, 2019, 11:48:31 AM
This is a recurring problem I'm finding with a lot of comedies from the past few years. They never seem confident in their jokes to just let them breathe without coming across as overwritten. Something I also hate is in smart-arsey sort-of-inspired-by-the-Office US-and-Community shows (Parks and Rec, Brooklyn Nine Nine, New Girl) where every character has the same smug overly wordy way of explaining the shit out of things the other characters have said with a pithy remark or just responding to their quirkiness instead of just reacting with a look. It's hard to describe bit I know what I mean.

Steven Wells nailed it when he reviewed the US version of the Office

QuoteWhere the original is nail-bitingly excruciating, the US Office - dumbed down to the point of being insulting - is comfort food for liberals.

Steve Carell's character (a cuddly, clownish version of Ricky Gervais' David Brent) makes a clumsily off-colour comment about race, the camera cuts to the black guy. Just in case you missed the fact that Steve Carell's character has said something about black people that the makers of the show think is wrong. Because you're stupid, presumably.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 03, 2019, 11:43:23 AM
I've been really put off by the looks at the camera. I've never enjoyed that, characters looking at the camera. Every clip I've seen of this show has annoyed me so I probably won't be catching up at any point. My mam can't stand the clip where she's at the Quaker meeting and she's looking round and whispering about how erotic it is. I can't put my finger on why it's so annoying but it just is.

My girlfriend hates that clip too! It provokes a very visceral reaction in her and every time it's popped up, she ends up shouting her annoyance at the screen.

NoOffenceLynn

It just try's too hard to be the "Honest" and only female narrative that goes on in all women's heads.

It's a middle class and Guardian five star approved version of what women go through that puts me off.

WITH LOOKS TO CAMERA

An edgy anal sex experience of life, death and everything in between. But it isn't. And worst of all, it's  just not that funny.

neveragain

Quote from: sevendaughters on April 03, 2019, 02:40:44 PM
Steven Wells nailed it when he reviewed the US version of the Office

The UK Office isn't subtler in that regard. Case in point: black man's knob joke.

jsgibble

Quote from: neveragain on April 03, 2019, 04:50:18 PM
The UK Office isn't subtler in that regard. Case in point: black man's knob joke.

It's not the subject in a vacuum that's subtle, it's how it's delivered.

olliebean

Quote from: Clownbaby on April 03, 2019, 11:43:23 AMI've been really put off by the looks at the camera. I've never enjoyed that, characters looking at the camera.

Has she been doing it more this series than in the first series? It feels like she has.

NoOffenceLynn

Quote from: olliebean on April 03, 2019, 05:40:02 PM
Has she been doing it more this series than in the first series? It feels like she has.

NO.

*looks to camera*