Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:36:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fleabag - Series 2 [split topic]

Started by shh, March 04, 2019, 11:54:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poodlefaker

The male characters are all terrible people too - her dad, the brother-in-law, Prince William, the twat with the teeth, Father Moriarty. Milky Milky seems alright, so I guess she'll end up with him.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

BlodwynPig

Blue Jam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2019, 12:07:18 PM
He's marrying a cunt

...a cunt who openly hates his daughters and who constantly plays nasty and very obvious mind games with them like she's competing with them for his affection, while he meekly enables her because she's his priority and he's selfish and spineless.

At the end of series 1, she humiliates Fleabag by putting her on canape duty, and instead of comforting his upset daughter afterwards all he can say is "Why can't you just let me be happy?"

Blue Jam

Quote from: Josef K on April 04, 2019, 11:45:30 AM
Anybody else feeling like the sexy priest is going to turn out to be an absolute wrong-un?

There's little flashes of him being controlling, plus interrupting a confession by a woman exhibiting signs of mental illness (talking to voices) to initiate sex would 100% be labelled abuse outside of a comedy show.

Quote from: Z on April 04, 2019, 11:11:17 PM
Is the priest not an alcoholic? Is that just the way yer man acts in general?

Perhaps it's just me*, but I get the impression that Father Moriarty's relationship with God is at least partly an addiction displacement. I suspect that he may have had the hare-brained idea that joining the priesthood sounded like a great way to escape his demons (drink, self-destructive behaviour in relationships, being a wrong 'un sexually) and find a direction in life and some inner peace. Instead all his problems are still there, except now he's a priest he has to suffer them in silence, and he's realised he's taken on a huge commitment he just isn't cut out for. All the swearing, drinking and lusting after vulnerable women aren't him being a cool priest, they're him being a bad priest.

A "bad priest" is exactly Fleabag's type, of course... and as for Claire suggesting she was throwing herself at him in a bid to stop their dad marrying a cunt, of course that was part of the attraction! I can't believe I didn't pick up on that earlier...

*As an undergraduate I had a flatmate, an engineering student, who was a bit of a sleazebag and a definite alcoholic. A few years back he popped up on my Facebook under "People you may know" and I was absolutely stunned to find he'd packed in the lucrative engineering career, gone to theology college and was now working overseas as some kind of pastor. His profile consisted entirely of Bible quotes and pictures of him wearing a big white cassock...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2019, 12:46:30 PM
...a cunt who openly hates his daughters and who constantly plays nasty and very obvious mind games with them like she's competing with them for his affection, while he meekly enables her because she's his priority and he's selfish and spineless.

At the end of series 1, she humiliates Fleabag by putting her on canape duty, and instead of comforting his upset daughter afterwards all he can say is "Why can't you just let me be happy?"

Oh yes. A match made in cunt

Blue Jam

"Parent divorces/is widowed, parent finds new partner, kids have good reason to dislike new partner, parent decides to blames kids for the rift because they're thinking with their dick/fanny"- it's a tale as old as time...

What is the deal with the dad and Olivia Colman's character? Isn't she Fleabag's godmother or something? Wasn't there something about her being "one of his students" and "hovering around waiting to pounce as soon as his wife died" or something? I seem to have missed a lot of that detail.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2019, 02:02:55 PM
"Parent divorces/is widowed, parent finds new partner, kids have good reason to dislike new partner, parent decides to blames kids for the rift because they're thinking with their dick/fanny"- it's a tale as old as time...

What is the deal with the dad and Olivia Colman's character? Isn't she Fleabag's godmother or something? Wasn't there something about her being "one of his students" and "hovering around waiting to pounce as soon as his wife died" or something? I seem to have missed a lot of that detail.

I don't remember the godmother bit, but the last episode mentions the rest in a flashback to the mother's funeral.

Blue Jam

Olivia Colman's character is actually called "Godmother"- IMDB doesn't list any other name for her and I don't think any of the characters ever say her name, just as we never hear what Fleabag or Dad or the Priest or Bus Rodent are really called. I also can't remember what Dad is supposed to do/have done for a living- I'm guessing he's an art teacher? An art history lecturer?

I guess the whole "Godmother" thing is meant to make it all seem creepy and inappropriate and a little bit incesty, just another creepy thing about that dysfunctional family. EDIT: Just found the quote on TV Tropes: "Dad's way of coping with two motherless daughters was to buy us tickets to feminist lectures, start fucking our godmother and eventually stop calling".

Olivia Colman's great in this isn't she? Actually I think I hate Godmother even more than Martin the creepy husband.

Blue Jam

BlodwynPig

BritishHobo

Quote from: poodlefaker on April 05, 2019, 11:20:32 AM
The male characters are all terrible people too - her dad, the brother-in-law, Prince William, the twat with the teeth, Father Moriarty. Milky Milky seems alright, so I guess she'll end up with him.

They're all terrible people aren't they? I'd say the closest you've got to nice people are the dead friend and Hugh Dennis. That's actually something I really liked about the first series, that it humanized his creepy character as just a bit of a pathetic bloke who wants to be better.

Sad to hear this is the end, but that's a great way to do it. Just mention it in an interview a couple of days before the last episode.

BlodwynPig

Hugh Dennis in the second series was brought back as if he were a FAN FAVOURITE and got the appropriate off-centre send-off with the pinny. Although his character and the actor are good, they didn't earn that - the series is not 27 seasons of Cheers, ffs.

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2019, 04:27:49 PM
Olivia Colman's character is actually called "Godmother"- IMDB doesn't list any other name for her and I don't think any of the characters ever say her name, just as we never hear what Fleabag or Dad or the Priest or Bus Rodent are really called. I also can't remember what Dad is supposed to do/have done for a living- I'm guessing he's an art teacher? An art history lecturer?

I guess the whole "Godmother" thing is meant to make it all seem creepy and inappropriate and a little bit incesty, just another creepy thing about that dysfunctional family. EDIT: Just found the quote on TV Tropes: "Dad's way of coping with two motherless daughters was to buy us tickets to feminist lectures, start fucking our godmother and eventually stop calling".

Olivia Colman's great in this isn't she? Actually I think I hate Godmother even more than Martin the creepy husband.

I love the character of Godmother but can't get it to logically stack up.  She looks about mid-forties, obviously much younger than the mum or dad (one of their students, can't remember which) and in a throwaway comment in that portrait session said she was still 'thinking about' children so no older than 45 surely? so how come she's the godmother to two women in their 30s (and surely Claire's meant to be late thirties)?  Were they christened as teenagers?

Noddy Tomkey

Just to clarify, Godmother was a student of Mother.

mjwilson

Sure but you usually choose as godparents someone around your own age.
Unless it's "godmother" in a crime family kind of way.

jfjnpxmy

Well that was a load of old toot.

BlodwynPig

poo

phes

Mehhhhhhhh. It was alright wasnt it. It's understandable the licence paying public would go a bit crackers when there's not been much half-decent on the box in fifteen years.

jobotic

It was the greatest thing ever

Farewell Fleabag: the most electrifying, devastating TV in years

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/08/farewell-fleabag-the-most-electrifying-devastating-tv-in-years?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Posh Guardian writer says don't worry about the poshness.

Think L might watch it though, I like sound of bits of it and the priest's description of love.

gilbertharding

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2019, 05:49:46 PM
More self-aggrandisement from the BBC. Shameless

TV CHANNEL IN 'PROMOTING OWN PRODUCT' SHOCK!

jimboslice

QuoteA meta break, if you will. I can't remember ever seeing this as a device, and the moment when it came ("Where did you just go?") was the most unexpected television twist in recent years.

It's not really that earth-shattering is it? If that hasn't already been done in a Deadpool comic or some kids TV show or other then I'll chop my cock off.

I really liked S1 of Fleabag, and S2 was enjoyable enough but basically amounted to everyone just farting about. That's my bold and incisive review anyway.

Bently Sheds

I didn't enjoy this as much as the first series. The high point of this second series was seeing Bob Goody on telly for the first time in years.

I did laugh at the bassoon piece being called "Where's Claire?" though.

olliebean

Quote from: jimboslice on April 09, 2019, 09:27:15 AM
It's not really that earth-shattering is it? If that hasn't already been done in a Deadpool comic or some kids TV show or other then I'll chop my cock off.

I mean, the exact same thing happened just last week in the finale of Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, so...

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Couldn't track down that clip from the Tony Marchant -scripted drama series from "Holding On", broadcast in 1997, when Phil Daniels the food critic turns round to speak to the camera , and us, the viewer (as is the occasional wont of his character), and her out of" 'Howard's Way", in the role of his boss, turns round and asks him who he's speaking too, having clearly heard and see him do that thing, soz.

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: jobotic on April 09, 2019, 09:02:33 AM
It was the greatest thing ever

Farewell Fleabag: the most electrifying, devastating TV in years

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/08/farewell-fleabag-the-most-electrifying-devastating-tv-in-years?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Posh Guardian writer says don't worry about the poshness.

Think L might watch it though, I like sound of bits of it and the priest's description of love.

Christ on toast! What is going on in that article and comment section?! Nauseatingly hyperbolic, Americanised, sensationalist shite.

"Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Is everything."

I need a shower after reading that.

the science eel

The show means very little to people outside that London-metropolitan/Guardian bubble. Which is why it isn't great.

I did like the little wave to the camera at the very end. Sort of manipulative, tho'. She (Phoebe) wanted the viewers to fall in love with her. And every single last scene, every comment, worked to that end.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: the science eel on April 09, 2019, 01:56:20 PM
The show means very little to people outside that London-metropolitan/Guardian bubble. Which is why it isn't great.

I did like the little wave to the camera at the very end. Sort of manipulative, tho'. She (Phoebe) wanted the viewers to fall in love with her. And every single last scene, every comment, worked to that end.

Yes, there were plenty of manipulative moments - the Four Weddings/Love Actually Priest Love speech that DEVASTATES A NATION. This series was tonally the opposite of series 1 - this wasn't for the laughs, this was for putting Waller Bridge into the next circle of critical acclaim and prepping her for greater things. 1997 and this would have been ground breaking in a way.