Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 09:50:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Turok, the dinosaur gun games

Started by Bazooka, April 03, 2019, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

Great bunch of lizard lads, so foggy, great music, and I would argue  the best FPS arsenal(Arsène Wenger and Thierry Henry glory days aside) in gaming history. Discuss the dinosaurs, I've had a real inkling to play the series recently.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

My abiding memory of the second one, other than the graphics seeming impressive for the time, is of the level design being quite poor. Far too repetitive and indistinct.

There were indeed some good weapons, chief among them being the Cerebral Bore (which killed enemies by firing academics at them). I think Painkiller may just have it pipped though.

Kelvin

I loved the first two games at the time, and I'm itching to play the re-releases on Switch.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 03, 2019, 10:29:07 PM
My abiding memory of the second one, other than the graphics seeming impressive for the time

I distinctly remember a picture of two raptors in the pre-release images that I genuinely couldn't believe would ever be topped, graphically. I would stare at it over and over again wondering how it could ever be topped without simply being photo-realistic.

Quotethe level design being quite poor. Far too repetitive and indistinct.

This was actually an even bigger problem with the first game, where most areas were either foggy caves or foggy jungle.

The sequel did at least have some distinct areas - especially in the much superior first half of the game.

It's remarkable how massively the series nose dived in quality with the third game, though. It was a wretched Half Life ripoff, with tedious levels, horrible art design, and enemies that literally faded out running when you killed them.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kelvin on April 03, 2019, 11:20:41 PM
It's remarkable how massively the series nose dived in quality with the third game, though.

The exact same thing happened with another dinosaur related game series; Dino Crisis.

Kelvin

Things also went to shit in the third episode of Denver: The Last Dinosaur.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The third one in any dinosaur thing is often the worst. This is why Triassic Park was bobbins.