Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 10:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 16, 2019, 08:16:41 AM
I wasn't aware of it, partly because our media don't seem to have much interest in properly reporting on European Union politics or events.

Did you watch the debate and what did you think?

As a devoted EU citizen its your responsibility to be aware of it! They're all on social media and seem to have millions of websites, so you can't blame the BBC for your own apathy about something that is meant to be so important to our country that we will dissolve into the sea if we leave.

I almost suspect that some of the people who have relentlessly argued for 3 years how important the EU is, don't really give much of a shit about it (and certainly aren't engaged with its workings), more that they care about their own narrow self interest, whilst demonizing people with different values and self interests doing the same thing.

Paul Calf

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 08:50:20 AM

I almost suspect that some of the people who have relentlessly argued for 30 years how important it is to leave the EU, don't really give much of a shit about it (and certainly aren't engaged with its workings), more that they care about their own narrow self interest, whilst demonizing people with different values and self interests doing the same thing.

Buelligan

You can watch the debate here , it's in English.  Hearteningly, there is more than one candidate that I would feel happy about seeing elected.

jobotic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Buelligan on May 16, 2019, 09:33:18 AM
You can watch the debate here , it's in English.  Hearteningly, there is more than one candidate that I would feel happy about seeing elected.

You already watched it of course, but just forgot to mention it.

Buelligan

I was at work last night but watched some.  Why is it so important to you?  Does it make you feel better about voting for Farage?

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine May's bill won't pass again. So what will happen next, and what should Labour do, if anything? Brexit won't be cancelled, so will we face a no deal?

olliebean

We'll end up getting a second referendum, and whichever way the result goes, somehow it'll end up making things far worse.

Johnny Yesno

As a devoted EU citizen its your responsibility to be aware of it! They're all on social media and seem to have millions of websites, so you can't blame the BBC for your own apathy about something that is meant to be so important to our country that we will dissolve into the sea if we leave.

I almost suspect that some of the people who have relentlessly argued for 3 years how important the EU is, don't really give much of a shit about it (and certainly aren't engaged with its workings), more that they care about their own narrow self interest, whilst demonizing people with different values and self interests doing the same thing.

Fuck off, neo-nazi apologist.

pancreas

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/may/16/labour-brexit-remain-voters-european-elections

Somewhat interesting, YouGov source excepted. The central mistake seems to be to imagine people will vote the same way in the EU elections as a GE.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 16, 2019, 07:13:17 AM
I think the Euro results and a failed deal means The End for May.

Labour should push for another No Confidence vote afterwards.

Mystic Meg, here...never right.

BlodwynPig

I've been to the Parliamentarium and seen Farage's ugly mug with the thousand yard stare on the big wrap-around screen.

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on May 16, 2019, 08:14:01 AM
a forum full of EU-philiacs!

You don't read these threads very well do you.

PS you are voting for Nigel Farage so no longer have a respectable argument in any case.  It's weird how you keep posting in light of this - maybe not very clever?

jobotic

QuoteAndrew Bridgen, the Tory Brexiter, has told the Press Association he expects the leadership contest to conclude well before the end of the summer recess. He said:

We will be able to have the Conservative party leadership concluded well before the end of the summer recess and by September, when we come back, we will have a new prime minister and it needs to be a Brexiteer who believes in Brexit and is willing to get us out on October 31 without a deal, if necessary.

The joy of it is Biggy, you don't even have to vote for Farage, just keep on voting Tory like you always have!

Jumblegraws

Because they didn't bother to watch a campaign debate - a practice that at this point can't even be called tradition, let alone a part of the 'workings' of the EU - or were even aware of it? I don't bother with the GE leader debates either, does that mean I don't give a shit about Westminster?

That you were clearly creaming yourself to unload this little "gotcha!" just shows what everyone already knew, that your priority in these threads is posturing.

It was shown live here in Spain in the news channel at 9pm.

It's hardly surprising, the level of disengagement in the UK over Europe, when the media refuses to give it any prominence. 

Having said that, UK news coverage is extremely insular anyway, compared to Spanish news programmes at least.  Last time I was in the UK (a fair few years ago now), it was when Ronnie Corbett died, and the crazy amount of coverage it got compared to other stuff going on in the world inspired my other half to drily inquire: "Who was he? One of the royal family?".

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Darles Chickens on May 16, 2019, 06:11:22 PM
It was shown live here in Spain in the news channel at 9pm.

It's hardly surprising, the level of disengagement in the UK over Europe, when the media refuses to give it any prominence. 

Having said that, UK news coverage is extremely insular anyway, compared to Spanish news programmes at least.  Last time I was in the UK (a fair few years ago now), it was when Ronnie Corbett died, and the crazy amount of coverage it got compared to other stuff going on in the world inspired my other half to drily inquire: "Who was he? One of the royal family?".

There's an episode of the excellent David Renwick-penned Love Soup where one of the main characters is asked to take part in an obituary video for a national treasure played by Ronnie Corbett. The character is pretty upset until he finds out that the national treasure is actually still alive, and that it is commonplace for news organisations to prepare obituaries ahead of time for celebrities they have identified as likely to kick the bucket.

I admired Corbett for taking the role since Renwick has a great deal of insight into the workings of the BBC, and one such video of him probably existed for real.

Howj Begg

I'm a good-government-a-philliac even though most of the time I don't fancy paying attention to what's going on in Parliament because we all have busy lives and we don't have the time for that. What a stupid fucking "argument".

Excellent work being done by Led by Donkeys again.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Howj Begg on May 16, 2019, 07:23:28 PM
I'm a good-government-a-philliac even though most of the time I don't fancy paying attention to what's going on in Parliament because we all have busy lives and we don't have the time for that. What a stupid fucking "argument".

Excellent work being done by Led by Donkeys again.

https://twitter.com/ByDonkeys

Hahaha! This is the party that is apparently more competent than TingeUK_Now: https://thebrexitparty.com/

Replies From View

biggytitbo agrees with all of those posters.  They won't dissuade him or any of his fellow Nigel Farage supporters.

sevendaughters

Just went to a Euro hustings. In attendance: Green (5th on their list), Change (4th on their list), Con (2nd!), UKIP (1st!), LD (3rd), and Lab (6th). No Brexit Party.

Opening 5 minute pitches were mostly pro-forma. None of them were dumbo idiots really.

- Green was a bad public speaker and looked and sounded like a Green.
- Change was boring corporate "we don't have an ideology, we just want politics to be better", SO insulting FUCK OFF,
- Conservative guy was a former Warks cricketer (8 x List A games his first class career) and was a line-toer but voted Remain.   
- UKIP was a self-made man, bit of a Clarkson boor, his patter was the most amiable but wrong crowd.
- Lib Dem was a quiet woman who spoke sensibly but almost inaudibly.
- Labour was a foetus with a beard, only 24 years old, seemed a Corbynite at heart but something about him rang a bit hollow.

Some lecturer got up and asked a "question" that was like "I don't believe ANY of you. How do you fix that?" Not asking a lot are you pal. Everyone goes into their rehearsed bit about engaging peopzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can't remember how it kicked off when it did but the Green and Labour guy rattled the UKIP fella, who had already had the LD woman chuntering while he spoke, about having Tommy Robinson as advisor and party member (point of order: he's an independent, but yeah, not going to be that guy), but it got nicely tense and the UKIP guy turned on the pub boor WE'RE NOT RACISTS IF YOU LOOK AT THE STATS zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz bullshit.

Oh there was some guy who yelled out HAMAS ARE TERRORISTS apropos of nothing

Green guy overtook me on bike on the way home.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteSome lecturer got up and asked a "question" that was like "I don't believe ANY of you. How do you fix that?

What a smug twat. Stuff like that is an example of the very rare occasions I feel sorry for politicians. Smug little arseholes using them as punchbags in their self-congratulatory games while achieving absolutely fuck all except trying to make themselves King. Hope he falls down a ravine.

Buelligan

and is then slowly eaten by marmots whilst his family and friends picnic above, pretending not to hear his cries.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on May 16, 2019, 09:39:20 PM
What a smug twat. Stuff like that is an example of the very rare occasions I feel sorry for politicians. Smug little arseholes using them as punchbags in their self-congratulatory games while achieving absolutely fuck all except trying to make themselves King. Hope he falls down a ravine.

He's discovered the secret to the Voynich mansucript though!

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on May 16, 2019, 09:41:29 PM
and is then slowly eaten by marmots whilst his family and friends picnic above, pretending not to hear his cries.

I didn't know they were carnivorous - I had a lucky escape then in that cave.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on May 17, 2019, 01:14:57 AM
I didn't know they were carnivorous - I had a lucky escape then in that cave.

Marmots are very slow eaters to be fair.  Anyone who wants to escape is able to.

greencalx

Just worked my way through the election leaflets.

All of them are concerned with matters of UK government competence (including Brexit), bar the Tories who mention the fisheries policy. This is something that gets moaned about a lot, but I don't know much about it. I had always understood the issue with fishing is that fish can't reproduce as fast as you can catch them, something that doesn't respect national boundaries or government policy.

Replies From View

Honestly if you can't have sex faster than some fat bloke with a net it's a wonder you've survived this long in the first place.

Not you - the fish I mean.

Plenty more fish in the sea (provided nations respect agreed EU fishing quotas).