Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Justin smiley face anyone can be a corrupt dynastic patrician Tory cunt like me and get away with it if you smile and hug children and minorities Trudeau, yes, what a hero of the left. Yet another acceptably bland placeholder smokescreening privilege and corruption

Buelligan

Replies From View

Buelligan

Soon they will be ours.  They'll go very well with the others. :D

Replies From View

Yes but surely there is a physical limit to how many adult teeth can be crammed down a urethra?

There's a reason we normally stick to milk teeth.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Replies From View on May 20, 2019, 12:40:38 PM
surely there is a physical limit to how many adult teeth can be crammed down a urethra?

Not a question anyone ever expected to be asked.

Replies From View

Quote from: DrGreggles on May 20, 2019, 02:57:26 PM
Not a question anyone ever expected to be asked.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't revise just in case.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on May 20, 2019, 07:44:00 AM
It's not just the Tories though; if The Brexits get enough votes it could be enough to get old-skool fascism into the mainstream in Britain and the rotting corpse of UKIP is staggering on with the energy of the racists and palaeoconservatives who've colonised it, waiting for an opportunity to discard the mask.

Once its out in the open, it will be easy to crush. I'm not abiding any fucking laws from a fascist government.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Buelligan on May 20, 2019, 10:23:59 AM
Nice teeth though.

From what I hear here, he is the male equivalent of Theresa May crossed with Macron.

canadagoose

Who should Canadians vote for? I heard the NDP were good. If I lived in Québec I'd probably vote Parti/Bloc Québécois just to confuse people. But you're an Anglophone!!11

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on May 20, 2019, 11:09:03 PM
Who should Canadians vote for? I heard the NDP were good. If I lived in Québec I'd probably vote Parti/Bloc Québécois just to confuse people. But you're an Anglophone!!11

The NDP are incompetent, the conservatives are conservatives, and the liberals are laughably corrupt (at both federal and provincial levels). BQ are mentalists, it's like voting for Sinn Fein.

I typically vote Liberal just because they get good things done in between the cartoonish corruption (like my citizenship, cutting my taxes, and legalizing that good herb). Don't particularly like any of them though.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 20, 2019, 11:28:52 PM
BQ are mentalists, it's like voting for Sinn Fein.
You say that as if I wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein...

;)

Edit: But seriously, I seem to get the impression that Anglophones in Québec seem to always vote for centrist dogshit, which is irritating. Can't they vote for something decent?

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 20, 2019, 11:28:52 PM
BQ are mentalists, it's like voting for Sinn Fein.

they're not, as far as I can see. they're quite left wing for a nationalistic party.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on May 20, 2019, 11:55:38 PM
You say that as if I wouldn't vote for Sinn Fein...

;)

Edit: But seriously, I seem to get the impression that Anglophones in Québec seem to always vote for centrist dogshit, which is irritating. Can't they vote for something decent?

There's about 3 of them so they're not really a voting bloc. Otherwise, they have the chance to vote for the 3 main parties.

The liberal majority in 2015 was only possible (and surprising) because those pinkos on the east coast (I can say this because they're my family) ditched the NDP under Mulcair, enough pseudo Americans out west were sick of the PCs (or voted for the Wild Rose party like idiots), and the BQ went through the floor because Trudeau is from Quebec. Plus everyone was really fucking sick of Harper.

That won't happen this year - prairies will go back to voting PC, Ontario will be more divided, and the Atlantic provinces are as disillusioned with the liberals as they were with the other parties.

Minority Liberal government incoming, I reckon. PCs would be closer if they didn't have a human shrug leading them. Yer man Scheer is worse than Theresa May.

Ferris

Quote from: chveik on May 21, 2019, 12:10:49 AM
they're not, as far as I can see. they're quite left wing for a nationalistic party.

They certainly like spending federal money at the provincial level to shore up their base. They were pushing for QC independence and blowing things up in the '70s. They also forced a lot of silly QC exceptions into federal law which don't sit well with everyone else - for example, immigrants aren't allowed to move to Quebec without declaring it and submitting to extra vetting. Not the most liberal bunch, unless you speak French and are white and native born in the province.

imitationleather

Sinn Fein are a legitimate left-wing political party.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:18:46 AM
There's about 3 of them so they're not really a voting bloc. Otherwise, they have the chance to vote for the 3 main parties.

The liberal majority in 2015 was only possible (and surprising) because those pinkos on the east coast (I can say this because they're my family) ditched the NDP under Mulcair, enough pseudo Americans out west were sick of the PCs (or voted for the Wild Rose party like idiots), and the BQ went through the floor because Trudeau is from Quebec. Plus everyone was really fucking sick of Harper.

That won't happen this year - prairies will go back to voting PC, Ontario will be more divided, and the Atlantic provinces are as disillusioned with the liberals as they were with the other parties.

Minority Liberal government incoming, I reckon. PCs would be closer if they didn't have a human shrug leading them. Yer man Scheer is worse than Theresa May.
Sounds like shite to me. Good to see that people voting for useless crap isn't localised to the UK or Europe in general. No idea where you live (is it Ontario?) but what do you think of Québec solidaire in Québec? Are they big enough to make any changes or are they just like if Fife decided to put up a revolutionary party and nobody else gave a crap?

edit: putain merde put the wrong party in

chveik

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:21:19 AM
They certainly like spending federal money at the provincial level to shore up their base. They were pushing for QC independence and blowing things up in the '90s. They also forced a lot of silly QC exceptions into federal law which don't sit well with everyone else - for example, immigrants aren't allowed to move to Quebec without declaring it and submitting to extra vetting. Not the most liberal bunch, unless you speak French and are white and native born in the province.

maybe you're right, I'm not that well informed.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:21:19 AM
They certainly like spending federal money at the provincial level to shore up their base. They were pushing for QC independence and blowing things up in the '70s. They also forced a lot of silly QC exceptions into federal law which don't sit well with everyone else - for example, immigrants aren't allowed to move to Quebec without declaring it and submitting to extra vetting. Not the most liberal bunch, unless you speak French and are white and native born in the province.
The last bits sound a bit funny. What extra vetting is involved? Thought they'd be wanting folk that can speak French from anywhere tbh. Lot of Africa speaks French, though, and if they're racist, well, they're probably fucked there unless they put in extra clauses.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on May 21, 2019, 12:25:20 AM
Sounds like shite to me. Good to see that people voting for useless crap isn't localised to the UK or Europe in general. No idea where you live (is it Ontario?) but what do you think of Québec solidaire in Québec? Are they big enough to make any changes or are they just like if Fife decided to put up a revolutionary party and nobody else gave a crap?

edit: putain merde put the wrong party in

I live in Toronto (though spend a lot of time on the east coast, where I type this missive to you now!). Political parties are shit everywhere, it's not a UK only problem!

I don't know much about Quebecois provincial politics really, only in the context of federal politics. The provincial stuff has a lot less nationalism than it did 20 years ago but it is still a very culturally different place. It feels like a foreign country. I've had 3 separate friends from Paris who found Quebec too alienating and ended up settling in Toronto which they say is nicer and more tolerant. Made fun of their Parisienne accents etc. Anecdotal, but there you go.

If you're interested, can I recommend the film C.R.A.Z.Y? It's about a man coming to terms with his sexuality and his family's reaction, set in Quebec during "the quiet revolution" of the '70s and '80s. It's a great bit of cinema, and it feels uniquely Quebecois rather than "Canadian".

I'll stop clogging up the thread now. Sorry.

Ferris

Quote from: canadagoose on May 21, 2019, 12:31:42 AM
The last bits sound a bit funny. What extra vetting is involved? Thought they'd be wanting folk that can speak French from anywhere tbh. Lot of Africa speaks French, though, and if they're racist, well, they're probably fucked there unless they put in extra clauses.

Yes, and they don't play well together. It's anecdotal of course, but it can be a parochial place. A white Anglo like me occasionally feels a bit uncomfortable in a huge metro city like Montreal. How someone who looks and sounds different to me handles being in small town Quebec, I don't know.

Basically, you can become a Canadian permanent resident through an arduous process in the rest of Canada, or! You can invest $800k in Quebec, they'll give you federal residency, then you can go wherever you like in Canada the next day and earn citizenship in 3 years. Lots of shady shit ends up running through Quebec for this reason.

I feel like I'm really having a pop at Quebec, but I'm not - everywhere has its share of positives and negatives. It's lovely and worth visiting! The food is incroyable.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:36:13 AM
I live in Toronto (though spend a lot of time on the east coast, where I type this missive to you now!). Political parties are shit everywhere, it's not a UK only problem!

I don't know much about Quebecois provincial politics really, only in the context of federal politics. The provincial stuff has a lot less nationalism than it did 20 years ago but it is still a very culturally different place. It feels like a foreign country. I've had 3 separate friends from Paris who found Quebec too alienating and ended up settling in Toronto which they say is nicer and more tolerant. Made fun of their Parisienne accents etc. Anecdotal, but there you go.

If you're interested, can I recommend the film C.R.A.Z.Y? It's about a man coming to terms with his sexuality and his family's reaction, set in Quebec during "the quiet revolution" of the '70s and '80s. It's a great bit of cinema, and it feels uniquely Quebecois rather than "Canadian".

I'll stop clogging up the thread now. Sorry.
Might just watch that, ta :)

I remember finding Montréal a bit Glasgow-like in terms of folk coming up to you and helping you - you'll know what I'm on about, but I was really impressed back in the day. I never got the chance to use my French as people seemed to default to English the minute you had an issue with French, even though the accent is a bit different from what I'm used to. Loved Toronto as well, but only spent 3 days there 15 years ago so I wish I'd been there longer. To be honest, I wish I'd moved over for good. I guess I'll stick with the mice in Leith.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:38:19 AM
Yes, and they don't play well together. Look up "Quebec immigrant residency".

Basically, you can become a Canadian permanent resident through an arduous process in the rest of Canada, or! You can invest $800k in Quebec, they'll give you federal residency, then you can go wherever you like in Canada the next day and earn citizenship in 3 years.

Lots of shady shit ends up running through Quebec for this reason.
That's really weird. I guess that's the disadvantage (or advantage, for some folk?) of a federal system? Pretty odd anyways.

Ferris

...and I loved living in Edinburgh!

The problem with loving places is you can only live in one, so you have your heart broken one way or the other. At least with places, you get to choose which way round it happens.

canadagoose

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:43:39 AM

The problem with loving places is you can only live in one, so you have your heart broken one way or the other. At least with places, you get to choose which way round it happens.
Trust me, if you had bloody brown rodents sticking their snoots out whenever you open the fridge, I think you'd prefer being the other side of the Atlantic, even with Persevere Court out my window. ;)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on May 21, 2019, 12:43:39 AM

*tears*

Ferris

Buelligan

Quote from: imitationleather on May 21, 2019, 12:25:01 AM
Sinn Féin are a legitimate left-wing political party.

FTFY.  I think that's fair.  People are free to disagree with them but they're as legitimate as any party.

Paul Calf

Quote from: imitationleather on May 21, 2019, 12:25:01 AM
Sinn Fein are a legitimate left-wing political party.

You're making me very angry.

*sucks balloon*

Quote from: Buelligan on May 21, 2019, 05:43:36 AM
FTFY.  I think that's fair.  People are free to disagree with them but they're as legitimate as any party.

As legitimate as any party that gained power by killing innocent civilians and by the threat of killing more, yes.

Buelligan

I don't think that's correct.  Any more than it's correct to say the British Queen killed innocent civilians.

I'm not going to argue with you about it.  I'm just telling you that that is my opinion.