Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:42:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Quote...Mr Johnson has argued that if the UK crashes out of the EU without a deal on 31 October, businesses will still be able to continue tariff-free trade with Europe under an obscure trading law known as Gatt 24. Without this protection, thousands of goods traded between the UK and the EU would be subject to standard WTO tariffs, adding considerably to costs to consumers.

But WTO director general Roberto Azevedo has now baldly stated that the mechanism – which his organisation oversees – cannot be invoked unless the parties involved have reached agreement on a future trade deal.

He told Prospect magazine that Gatt 24 only applies in the period between a deal being struck and its full implementation.

Will Boris Johnson's free-trade zones really boost the economy?
"If there is no agreement, then Article 24 would not apply, and the standard WTO terms would," said Mr Azevedo...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-business-wto-gatt-24-article-eu-trade-leave-a8996001.html

jobotic

Darroch has resigned.

Trump, Farage and Bannon running the show now.

Well done you brexit cunts.

Jittlebags

Presumably that means May gets to choose successor rather than Boris.

jobotic

I hope its Gina Miller. Maybe Carole Cadwalladr.

sponk

Quote from: jobotic on July 10, 2019, 12:02:56 PM
Darroch has resigned.

Trump, Farage and Bannon running the show now.

Well done you brexit cunts.

Who was running the show before them? You're implying that we need the EU to protect us from the Americans, which is bollocks.

No, I think he's implying that handing over a blank cheque to the Tory right to carry out the "will of the people" wasn't a very good idea.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: jobotic on July 10, 2019, 12:02:56 PM
Darroch has resigned.
Look it's not May/Johnson's fault for being cucks. Or Trump for being a manchild. It's Russia's fault for the leaks!

Darroch- a new hero appears.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteNigel Farage has said that all public officials (including civil servants) who object to Brexit should "either change their ways or be removed".

Paul Calf

An ideological purge. That doesn't sound sinister at all.

Prorogation under Boris looking nailed on now. Only took a few weeks to turn it from a ridiculous prospect that could tear our constitution apart to being a handy tool in the government's arsenal to bypass an unwilling parliament;

https://news.sky.com/story/team-boris-johnson-considering-plan-to-suspend-parliament-before-brexit-11764347

Paul Calf

Dr Rock

It's very important to carry out the will of the people, otherwise there could be an election that Labour could democratically win and then let the people choose what to do.

jobotic

Farage particularly fucking loathsome today.

Hey Biggy now you're back, have you been impressed with the party you voted for so far?

Paul Calf

Paul Calf

Seriously. Stop screaming and just let them do it. Otherwise you might get hurt if you understand what I'm saying.

olliebean

Proroguing would be the end of Johnson, wouldn't it? There's no way he'd have the confidence of a majority of parliament after that. It's touch and go whether he's going to have it before.

Paul Calf

Would there be enough Tory rebels (the DUP would have to abandon the confidence and supply agreement to vote no-con) willing to vote themselves out of government to shift him from Downing Street?

I don't think so.

greencalx

Of course there aren't.

Look at the way that Rudd has been toadying up to Johnson in the hope of serving in his cabinet. Is this really the same person as the one who said you couldn't trust BJ to take you home at the end of a party, or whatever it was?

Dr Rock

They need three. Apparently they have about 30 ready to do it.

pigamus

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 17, 2019, 10:09:22 AM
They need three. Apparently they have about 30 ready to do it.

No chance. They'll posture and bluff and then chicken out like they always do.

Quote from: pigamus on July 17, 2019, 10:29:34 AM
No chance. They'll posture and bluff and then chicken out like they always do.

Maybe. As we get closer to elections and Brexiteer entryists are determined to deselect these MPs, I can see a few jumping before they are pushed.

holyzombiejesus

The tories would have Change Uk voting with them, wouldn't they?

Paul Calf

If they voted with Boris Johnson to help him do a hard Brexits, surely that would be the end of any credibility they had left.

holyzombiejesus

They hate Corbyn more than the tories so wouldn't do anything to enable a Labour government. Maybe they'd abstain whilst sending out a press release talking about anti-semitism and how unfit JC is to be leader..

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 17, 2019, 12:25:51 PM
If they voted with Boris Johnson to help him do a hard Brexits, surely that would be the end of any credibility they had left.

ha ha ha - they never had any

Norton Canes

Dismay from Nigel Farage as he remarks that Ursula von der Leyen "scraped in by 9 votes" giving her "power but no legitimacy".

Her vote share equates to 52%.

Norton Canes

To quote John Cleese in Clockwise, "It's not the despair... I can take the despair. It's the bare-faced affrontery I can't stand".

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on July 17, 2019, 12:15:12 PM
The tories would have Change Uk voting with them, wouldn't they?

Possibly, although there are only ten of them now, split up into three disparate groups (5 x Change UK, 4 x The Independents and Wollaston on her own). They all have different aims, so they may not all vote the same way. Chuka's on the Lib Dem whip so he'll follow whatever they are doing (probably voting against the government).

The problem I have with all of these prospective plans to vote down Johnson is that, based on polling trends, I can't see an election where the Brexit Party aren't the main benefactors. The Lib Dems translating their EU performance onto the national stage are literally our only hope to avoid no deal.

Paul Calf

Then the future consists of either a low-tax, low-service economy in the EU with everything in private hands or a low-tax, low-service economy out of the EU with everything in private hands.

Would sir like a bucket of vomit or a beaker of shit with his plate of scorn?

Paul Calf

Brexit fucking did this. If you voted to leave the EU, you did this.