Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:46:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

What I don't understand, having been to countries such as France, Germany and Italy and see how much higher the standard of living is there than here, is why anyone would want us to be less like the rest of Europe by leaving the EU. I'd love to live in a country where the streets were clean, where public transport is excellent, where crime is low and where there is lots of culture - plenty of places in the rest of Europe but few in the UK.

Paul Calf

In Paris, they spend something like 8 times per head of population more on public sanitation than London does. In Amsterdam if you walk through the streets very early in the morning you'll see people with pressure hoses hosing and scrubbing streets, parks and bus and tram stops.

British cities stink of rotting rubbish, fox piss and diesel fumes. Paris and Amsterdam both gleam.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 17, 2019, 01:25:07 PM
Then the future consists of either a low-tax, low-service economy in the EU with everything in private hands or a low-tax, low-service economy out of the EU with everything in private hands.

Which suggests that Corbyn was right to focus on jobs and the environment, and the tories and austerity, rather than being lured into an unwinnable position on brexit.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 17, 2019, 01:58:15 PM
In Paris, they spend something like 8 times per head of population more on public sanitation than London does. In Amsterdam if you walk through the streets very early in the morning you'll see people with pressure hoses hosing and scrubbing streets, parks and bus and tram stops.

British cities stink of rotting rubbish, fox piss and diesel fumes. Paris and Amsterdam both gleam.

Ooh, lah-di-dah. Salt-of-the-earth smells too good for 'em? They're no better than they ought to be.

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 17, 2019, 02:45:25 PM
Which suggests that Corbyn was right to focus on jobs and the environment, and the tories and austerity, rather than being lured into an unwinnable position on brexit.

In 2017, when it was an abstract concept and they had another 18 months to kick the can down the road, yes.

In 2019, not so much.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 17, 2019, 02:45:25 PM

Millions of potential Labour voters don't agree. That's the problem: not being right, but being visibly right.

pigamus

I don't think this Howard's Way reboot will end well.

George Oscar Bluth II

Watching the slow movement of Remain voting Tory ministers to "no-deal isn't so bad" at the same time as some Labour MPs are doing the same thing is utterly and profoundly depressing.

They know about the warnings, they know what will happen if we get no deal and they do not give a shit.

Utterly, utterly contemptible.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: George Oscar Bluth II on July 17, 2019, 06:00:58 PM
Watching the slow movement of Remain voting Tory ministers to "no-deal isn't so bad" at the same time as some Labour MPs are doing the same thing is utterly and profoundly depressing.

They know about the warnings, they know what will happen if we get no deal and they do not give a shit.

Utterly, utterly contemptible.

Which Labour MPs? Apart from Hoey, I mean.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Paul Calf on July 17, 2019, 03:13:11 PM
Millions of potential Labour voters don't agree. That's the problem: not being right, but being visibly right.

The media we have won't let him be visibly right.

Consignia

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on July 17, 2019, 06:57:22 PM
Which Labour MPs? Apart from Hoey, I mean.

Caroline Flint and Sarah Champion have both said as much in the last few days.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Consignia on July 17, 2019, 07:22:01 PM
Caroline Flint and Sarah Champion have both said as much in the last few days.

Thanks. I forgot about Flint (Champion I'm less familiar with). No one's surprised, are they?

phantom_power

Quote from: jobotic on July 17, 2019, 05:32:44 PM

Why do cunts so often look like cunts? Is it the visual version of nominative determinism?

BlodwynPig

When Raoul Moat met alcoholic Fozzie Bear

pancreas

Quote from: phantom_power on July 18, 2019, 10:19:58 AM
Why do cunts so often look like cunts? Is it the visual version of nominative determinism?

"At 50, everyone has the face he deserves,"

sponk

Quote from: pancreas on July 18, 2019, 11:16:53 AM
"At 50, everyone has the neck he deserves,"

And in the BF guy's case, it's obviously none

Buelligan

Quote from: jobotic on July 17, 2019, 05:32:44 PM

When I see stuff like this it makes me think again about whether Brexit's actually such a bad thing after all.

Alberon

Parliament has just voted to stop Johnson proroguing Parliament in the autumn by 315 to 274 votes.

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1151834001960775680?s=21

Amendment passes to stop Boris proroguing parliament. Seems to be good news right? That's his one big bluff now completely nullified.

greencalx

What's the story? They've basically created a requirement for parliament to keep sitting for some other reason, which means it can't be suspended.... ever?

jobotic

Looks like Nige is going to have to pick up a rifle, don khaki and head for the front lines then, doesn't it?

Or act the cunt whilst the cash rolls in, whichever is easier.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

thugler

Quote from: Alberon on July 18, 2019, 01:44:25 PM
Parliament has just voted to stop Johnson proroguing Parliament in the autumn by 315 to 274 votes.

Why didn't the cunts do this recently with the corbyn bill which took no deal off the table? Needlessly dragged it out and gave boris ammunition with his 'leaving either way on 31st' bullshit.

We all know they will side against no deal when it comes to it, the bluffing is damaging and stupid.

Hunt/boris would get a tiny glimmer of respect from me if they recognised that they aren't going to get what they want through parliament now and that a GE or a 2nd ref (or both) are the only choices, along with another delay.

biggytitbo

The one crucial detail missing in all this talk of stopping prorogation and no deal is that come October, the EU will be dealing directly with Boris Johnson, not parliament. Parliament ultimately isnt involved when it comes to the final decision. They could of course find a way with Bercow bending the rules to jam an amendment into some totally unrelated bill to force him to go ask for an extension, but they can't make him not sadly 'fail' to secure it...

This is why some radicalized ultra remainers are genuinely considering a plan to get the Queen to go negotiate on our behalf, in a sign that their desperate attempts to stop the referendum they voted for actually been implemented has finally sent them mad.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on July 19, 2019, 07:13:50 AM
The one crucial detail missing in all this talk of stopping prorogation and no deal is that come October, the EU will be dealing directly with Boris Johnson, not parliament. Parliament ultimately isnt involved when it comes to the final decision.

It's true; if parliament decides something there should be no consequences for Johnson ignoring it and doing something else entirely.

There's nothing beLeavers love more than democracy, they keep telling us.

biggytitbo

Yes considering democracy is now defined as John Bercow and a handful of ultra-remainers playing fast and loose with centuries of convention to insert entirely unrelated amendments into entirely unrelated bills in a desperate proxy attempt to stop the thing they voted for.