Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:10:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny Yesno

Heh, sorry to be a grumpy cunt, gout, but I had no idea PC had conflicting ideas about what we should do, so I couldn't make any sense of your post.

If that's the case, then it's worth pointing out, Paul, that some of us have been banging on about austerity for some years now and went on the first MAA (March Against Austerity ;-p ), which was fundamental in kicking off the whole Corbyn project.

To answer your question, I think we have to keep hammering the message that it's austerity that is hurting people and I think they will eventually listen. We have to make sure people hear about Modern Monetary Theory so the credit card analogy gets destroyed. Perhaps people will accept they've been duped if they're offered a genuinely better alternative.

Oh, and absolutely don't let brexit steer the narrative.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteThe Green MP, Caroline Lucas, has thrown down the gauntlet to 10 high-profile female politicians over blocking a no-deal Brexit, proposing a cabinet of national unity including Labour's Emily Thornberry, the Liberal Democrat leader, Jo Swinson, and the former Conservative cabinet minister Justine Greening to seek legislation for a fresh referendum.

In an extraordinary proposal that will be viewed with scepticism by rival parties, Lucas offered to broker a deal with female MPs from all the main political parties in Westminster, as well as the SNP's leader, Nicola Sturgeon.

If parliament passed a motion of no confidence in Boris Johnson's government, the plan would be for them to form a temporary cabinet, existing only to propose a Brexit referendum, likely to be remain versus no deal...

Lucas said she believed a cabinet of women from across the political spectrum would be best placed to set up an "emergency cabinet" which she said would "work for reconciliation" rather than fight new political battles.

"Why women? Because I believe women have shown they can bring a different perspective to crises, are able to reach out to those they disagree with and cooperate to find solutions," she wrote...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/caroline-lucas-calls-for-emergency-female-cabinet-to-block-no-deal-brexit

The cabinet would include Jo Swinson and Justine Greening.

NoSleep

I can't help but feel this is less visionary than di-visionary. I wonder how soon it will be before it has its own "funny tinge" moment?

Fabian Thomsett

Brexit has turned Lucas into a boring centrist.

Fambo Number Mive

At a time when we need radical ideas on the environment even more than ever.

Fambo Number Mive

Guardian's fantasy all-female cabinet: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/11/who-might-serve-in-caroline-lucass-all-women-anti-no-deal-brexit-cabinet

Diane Abbott, the actual shadow home secretary, is replaced by Yvette Cooper.

Jo Swinson as deputy PM and Justine Greening as chancellor. It's a cabinet of centerists apart from Thornbury and Sturgeon (and possibly Saville Roberts and Blackman, I don't know much about them).

Cuellar

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson's controversial enforcer, Dominic Cummings, an architect of Brexit and a fierce critic of Brussels, is co-owner of a farm that has received €250,000 (£235,000) in EU farming subsidies, the Observer can reveal.

The revelation is a potential embarrassment for the mastermind behind Johnson's push to leave the EU by 31 October. Since being appointed as Johnson's chief adviser, Cummings has presented the battle to leave the EU as one between the people and the politicians. He positions himself as an outsider who wants to demolish elites, end the "absurd subsidies" paid out by the EU and liberate the UK from its arcane rules and regulations.

But his critics say the revelation that Cummings has benefited from the system he intends to smash underscores how many British farmers are reliant on EU money that would evaporate if the UK leaves...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/10/dominic-cummings-owns-farm-got-eu-subsidy

Funcrusher

If only we'd had a woman leading the country during the Brexit negotiations we wouldn't be in this mess...

pigamus

To be fair, it's only fighting fuckery with fuckery. And tbh I quite the idea of Boris's career being ruined by a bunch of determined women.

Johnny Yesno

I'd prefer it to be ruined by a Labour government, tbh.

pigamus

beanheadmcginty

Has anyone pointed out that Dominic Cummings looks like Clarence Boddicker yet?

BlodwynPig

Justine Greening is a good politician with a conscience

jobotic

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 11, 2019, 11:20:18 AM
There's been plenty of warning that this was going to happen;  Cameron and Osborne pandered openly and shamelessly to the ultra-rich, Farage employed actual Nazi imagery and marched through villages singing Nazi songs and May deployed Fuck Off Home Darkies vans. The whole of Westminster was caught with its hands in the till and its dick in the nation's children, while millions are made homeless and thousands killed by government neglect. What is going to make people listen?

(This is not a rhetorical question)

Everyon who did say this was mocked, belittled and accused of being mentally ill by a board legend who has now vanished from the political threads. But I should probably give it a rest.

kalowski

Farage latest:
QuoteAnd then he met Meghan Markle, and it's fallen off a cliff. We've been told in the last week that Meghan and Harry will only have two children ... and we're all completely ignoring, the real problem the Earth faces, and that is the fact the population of the globe is exploding but no one dares talk about it, no one dares deal with it, and whether Prince Harry has two kids is irrelevant given there are now 2.6 billion Chinese and Indians on this Earth."

bgmnts

That is the most pointless thing Farage has ever said.

BlodwynPig

NoSleep

Farage won't do so well in a punch-up versus China & India.

idunnosomename

What with fbpe randy dads rting pictures of eusupergirl's legs and this I'd say remainers are becoming worse than leavers

https://twitter.com/EleanorRylance/status/1160460122809950209?s=19

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: kalowski on August 12, 2019, 08:16:20 AM
Farage latest:
QuoteAnd then he met Meghan Markle, and it's fallen off a cliff. We've been told in the last week that Meghan and Harry will only have two children ... and we're all completely ignoring, the real problem the Earth faces, and that is the fact the population of the globe is exploding but no one dares talk about it, no one dares deal with it, and whether Prince Harry has two kids is irrelevant given there are now 2.6 billion Chinese and Indians on this Earth."
Father of four, Nigel Farage.

Paul Calf

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 12, 2019, 09:02:00 AM
Yet he's not wrong

He's wrong to invoke some sort of racist nod-wink Yellow Peril scare bullshit in a transparent attempt to give Westerners an excuse to avoid changing their Earth-raping behaviour.

olliebean

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 12, 2019, 09:02:00 AM
Yet he's not wrong

He is, though. The problem isn't that the population of the globe is exploding. (Not yet, anyway.) The problem is that the Earth's resources are scarce not because too many people are after them, but because too few are hogging them.

He is right about the irrelevance of how many kids Prince Harry has, though.

kalowski

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 12, 2019, 11:00:26 AM
He's wrong to invoke some sort of racist nod-wink Yellow Peril scare bullshit in a transparent attempt to give Westerners an excuse to avoid changing their Earth-raping behaviour.
Exactly. It's not the population doom mongering that the problem (as it always has been), it's the blaming the indians and the chinese for it. They reproduce like rats, you know (rats that had a one-child policy).

jobotic

Harry was a great lad when he was dressing up as one of us a Nazi but then he went and married a nig-nog.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: kalowski on August 12, 2019, 11:08:08 AM
Exactly. It's not the population doom mongering that the problem (as it always has been), it's the blaming the indians and the chinese for it. They reproduce like rats, you know (rats that had a one-child policy).

That's an argument as old as time, but rapid industrialisation, uncontrolled development, and population growth in any region of the planet is a recipe for disaster.

BlodwynPig