Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:28:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Thank fuck for that, it's a new page.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: jobotic on August 12, 2019, 11:18:17 AM
Harry was a great lad when he was dressing up as one of us a Nazi but then he went and married a nig-nog.

One of those thread replies that taken out of context by the press would be one you could regeret, we have all done them lol.

pigamus

I bet Farage would be very worried about a population explosion of white people. Very worried indeed.

Replies From View

Quote from: pigamus on August 12, 2019, 04:42:08 PM
I bet Farage would be very worried about a population explosion of white people. Very worried indeed.

Depends if they actually explode or just crash their planes a bit.

idunnosomename

this farage thing is funny isn't it. is it just the BBC pushing it the most? as if they want to scupper his patriot base, because they got so much criticism for basically creating him? but does it really harm him? or it does make him more into a cartoon rebel who says what "we all think?"

the thing about "oh he used to half-heartedly dress up as a Nazi but now he married a brown person" is just fucking mental though

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 12, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
this farage thing is funny isn't it. is it just the BBC pushing it the most? as if they want to scupper his patriot base, because they got so much criticism for basically creating him? but does it really harm him? or it does make him more into a cartoon rebel who says what "we all think?"

the thing about "oh he used to half-heartedly dress up as a Nazi but now he married a brown person" is just fucking mental though

The Problem is that he's actually not misjudging this,  his core demographic agree with him.  From their perspective, they love the royals and they think they've been besmirched by having "that women" in their royal, white, presence.

idunnosomename

i guess they also make fun of the queen mum for being a filthy old alcoholic? I mean yeah I guess they do. It's a very specific royalty he's going for.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 12, 2019, 11:08:48 PM
i guess they also make fun of the queen mum for being a filthy old alcoholic? I mean yeah I guess they do. It's a very specific royalty he's going for.

Yeah, the non-white one.

Cuellar

It's like that forum for psychos who 'love' the Royals, but spend all day everyday pouring utter vitriol over every single one of the them.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Cuellar on August 12, 2019, 11:14:40 PM
It's like that forum for psychos who 'love' the Royals, but spend all day everyday pouring utter vitriol over every single one of the them.

Like the mad stalkers who end up wanting to kill their 'love object'.

kalowski

jobotic

Quote"The fashion in the European Union is when the people vote the wrong way from the way the elites want to go, is to make the peasants vote again and again until they get it right. There was a vote – everyone knew what the issues were. It is hard to imagine that anyone in this country did not know what was at stake. The result is the way it was. That's democracy."

John Bolton there, with very familiar words.

Cuellar

Quote from: https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1161033990150721536?s=20Boris Johnson believes EU will cave in at last minute.

"The EU will give us a better deal, because if they don't Ireland is f*****. No Deal will destroy it." UK Cabinet minister tells #TheSun

idunnosomename

i quite liked the garuniad long read about bonkers remainers. even though it kinda paints themselves as the cool sensible centre, right all along, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

edit: lol https://twitter.com/ElliotElinor/status/1161225633130844161

Fambo Number Mive

I think a lot of leavers like to portray the #FBPE crowd as representing all Remainers whereas of course they are a unique mainly middle class centerist sub set of Remainers - 15,000 use the hashtag according to that article. I also think that not all "remainists" never heard that term before the Guardian article  are "FBPE".

I do like Led By Donkeys.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 13, 2019, 02:38:39 PM
i quite liked the garuniad long read about bonkers remainers. even though it kinda paints themselves as the cool sensible centre, right all along, of course.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

One of them calls the Guardian "fascist" for publishing that piece.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49320773

Can I ask if anyone can find the 70 signatures and how many Labour MPs are involved? Specifically, how many pro Corbyn MPs? Or, Corbyn himself.

Ferris

Quote from: idunnosomename on August 13, 2019, 02:38:39 PM

I really enjoyed this article, and having been in the UK for a month I recognized the caricature in a number of people I spoke to. Thanks for posting it.

Pseudopath

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on August 13, 2019, 03:20:09 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-49320773

Can I ask if anyone can find the 70 signatures and how many Labour MPs are involved? Specifically, how many pro Corbyn MPs? Or, Corbyn himself.

Ben Bradshaw, Stella Creasy, Margaret Hodge, Clive Lewis and Owen Smith are obvious ones that leap out at me (although none of them are exactly pro-Corbyn). I'm sure there are lots of other Labour MPs and peers on that list, but I can't be arsed to check.

Paul Calf

I think the proroguing is a bluff. They have something else up their sleeves.

Quote from: Paul Calf on August 13, 2019, 04:24:22 PM
I think the proroguing is a bluff. They have something else up their sleeves.

Yeah - another bluff.  It's bluffs all the way down.  They think the EU will give concessions at the last minute if they carry on with their no-deal talk, but I think the EU will call their bluff on that, and let them drop out with nothing, knowing that it won't be long till they come crying for a trade deal, and then the whole process starts again, but with the UK in an even weaker position than before.  Either that or Johnson B's plan is to totally sever friendly links with the EU altogether.  Awkward.

Suppose no-deal Brexit happens on October 31st.  They (the EU) are going to have to put up a border in the island of Ireland aren't they?  I mean, there's surely no way around that.  Which is going to be in breach of the GFA, but, it's going to be entirely due to the UK's decision to Brexit, right?  The GFA is entirely built on the fact that both countries are EU members, with equivalence of regulations and freedom of movement.  Is there potential legal action against the UK that can come from that?  Considering the whole situation, the UK Government are going to be in a lot of shit quite quickly - and regardless of Johnson's bluster, it's hard to imagine that he isn't bricking it at least a little bit.  Particularly for a narcissist for whom legacy is the most important thing.

Cuellar

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 13, 2019, 04:45:27 PM
Which is going to be in breach of the GFA, but, it's going to be entirely due to the UK's decision to Brexit, right?

WRONG, REMOANER - it's the EU being intractable.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Cuellar on August 13, 2019, 04:47:45 PM
WRONG, REMOANER - it's the EU being intractable.

LEO VARADKARN'T MORE LIKE EH?

Cuellar

The EU could just let the border be open between the EU and the UK. It is entirely within their power to do so.

Zetetic

Quote from: Darles Chickens on August 13, 2019, 04:45:27 PMIs there potential legal action against the UK that can come from that?
I'd guess the bigger issue from that perspective is going to be that the UK will be violation of its WTO-obligations and attempting to place other members in violation as well.

The other EU member states can try to come to sort of pragmatic agreement with RoIreland, I imagine, for a short while (and they will have a better argument to make with other WTO members) - although it's hard to imagine one that will survive legal challenge from within the EU.

Zetetic

Quote from: Cuellar on August 13, 2019, 04:50:57 PM
The EU could just let the border be open between the EU and the UK. It is entirely within their power to do so.
It would be up to individual member states. These member states have obligations to each other, and other WTO members.

Quote from: Cuellar on August 13, 2019, 04:50:57 PM

Only if regulations either side of the border are identical, thus doing away with the need for checks on goods which cross into Ireland, and also satisfying the GFA.

That's the point in the backstop as far as I understand - basically, a promise to maintain equivalence, until such time that a way of allowing divergence is agreed between both sides.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Pseudopath on August 13, 2019, 03:50:38 PM

Ben Bradshaw, Stella Creasy, Margaret Hodge, Clive Lewis and Owen Smith are obvious ones that leap out at me (although none of them are exactly pro-Corbyn). I'm sure there are lots of other Labour MPs and peers on that list, but I can't be arsed to check.

And is the list this size because they went around people they knew would sign and deliberately didn't give any lefties the opportunity? Or did the lefties decline?

idunnosomename

king_tubby

She was going on about George Soros last night.

#crank