Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:03:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Why is a cartoon any less influential than an opinion piece by a staff writer? Images stick in the mind, they are handy for propaganda.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on August 23, 2019, 08:46:10 AM
Unless you're influenced by cartoons made with 61 year old tories in mind, it kind of does.

Looking forward to reading your thesis on the myth of propaganda.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/22/brexiteer-tories-warn-boris-johnson-stripping-northern-ireland/

Who knew that trying to appease hardcore Europhobes would be so difficult? Apart from Theresa May. And David Cameron.

Replies From View

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 23, 2019, 10:57:38 AM
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/08/22/brexiteer-tories-warn-boris-johnson-stripping-northern-ireland/

Who knew that trying to appease hardcore Europhobes would be so difficult? Apart from Theresa May. And David Cameron.

Not paying for a Telegraph subscription to read that, but cheers anyway.

A summary from the Guardian rather than posting the billion screenshots dotted all over Twitter;

Boris Johnson is back in the UK after his trips to Berlin and Paris. Despite the attempts of some in the media to suggest that he has achieved some sort of breakthrough, a solution to the Brexit crisis seems no closer than ever. And, as the Daily Telegraph (paywall) is reporting this morning, even if Johnson were to find an alternative to the backstop acceptable to the EU, Tory Brexiters are telling him that that would not be enough to persuade them to vote for the withdrawal agreement because there are other aspects of it that they want to change.

David Davis, the former Brexit secretary, told the Telegraph's Brexit podcast that he had a whole shopping list of desired changes. He said:

"I'd argue for contingency on the money. I'd argue for tighter limits, timetable limits, sunset clauses on ECJ and things like that. I'd have a small shopping list.

It wouldn't be a ridiculous one, but one I think that any serious European Parliament and any European Council that wants a deal could go with.

If I were doing this for Boris, I would be insistent on is that they make the bill - the £39bn, the second half of it - contingent on progress on the future economic partnership."

And Sir Bill Cash told the paper:

"You can't restore self-government as a cut and paste operation and I am sure they understand that - taking parts of the withdrawal agreement.

We will be governed for a number of years by the other 27 member states under the existing draft withdrawal agreement ... even with the backstop removed."

phantom_power

Why is anyone reporting what Davis thinks about this and what he wants from negotiations when he proved himself to be completely fucking shit at it himself?

idunnosomename

Well the Brexit secretary doesn't really do anything, do they? Steve Barclay is in a couple of promo shoots. It was the Prime Minister's office that led the agenda. Davis is on board with Johnson when he wasn't with May.

he's an absolute waste of life though, should be incinerated

græskar

Quote from: https://www.theguardian.comBoris Johnson has played down the prospect of an early breakthrough in talks with the EU intended to resolve the Brexit crisis, saying people "shouldn't necessarily get their hopes up too soon".

So much for optimism and can-do spirit eh

Replies From View

Quote from: græskar on August 23, 2019, 05:50:45 PM
So much for optimism and can-do spirit eh

He's doing that thing, surely, of lowering our hopes in a calculated way....

"BORING CRIPPLED MAN!!" we all think.

And then, when we are at exactly the moment of least expecting it.....

"HOORAY HE WAS ONLY PRETENDING TO HAVE LIMITED MOBILITY AFTER ALL!!!"

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteBoris Johnson has asked the attorney general, Geoffrey Cox, whether parliament can be shut down for five weeks from 9 September in what appears to be a concerted plan to stop MPs forcing a further extension to Brexit, according to leaked government correspondence.

An email from senior government advisers to an adviser in No 10 – written within the last 10 days and seen by the Observer – makes clear that the prime minister has recently requested guidance on the legality of such a move, known as prorogation. The initial legal guidance given in the email is that shutting parliament may well be possible, unless action being taken in the courts to block such a move by anti-Brexit campaigners succeeds in the meantime.

On Saturday Labour and pro-remain Tory MPs reacted furiously, saying that the closure of parliament, as a method for stopping MPs preventing a potentially disastrous no-deal Brexit, would be an affront to democracy and deeply irresponsible, particularly given the government's own acceptance of the economic turmoil no-deal could cause.

The shadow Brexit secretary, Keir Starmer, said: "Any plan to suspend parliament at this stage would be outrageous. MPs must take the earliest opportunity to thwart this plan and to stop a no-deal Brexit."

The prominent Tory remainer and former attorney general Dominic Grieve added: "This memo, if correct, shows Boris Johnson's contempt for the House of Commons. It may be possible to circumvent the clear intention of the House of Commons in this way but it shows total bad faith. Excluding the house from a national crisis that threatens the future of our country is entirely wrong."...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/24/johnson-seeks-legal-advice-parliament-closure

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As for Swinson's latest attempt to pin the blame on Corbyn if there's a No Deal for not standing aside, just wait to see what your own supporters think when you do nothing to stop Brexit. It's not going to be good.

Paul Calf

At least some of them will look think "Fucking Corbyn". The Lib Dems will work hard to present themselves as helpless without Corbyn's backing

I don't know how to ensure there's not a critical mass who think that. It appears to be celebrity endorsement.

Zetetic

An interesting study attempting to quantitatively look at the impact of Merseyside's boycott of The Sun (mostly in favour of papers like The Mirror rather than The Daily Mail) on attitudes towards the EU:

http://www.florianfoos.net/resources/Foos_Bischof_Hillsborough.pdf

græskar

Zetetic

Zetetic

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Zetetic on August 26, 2019, 09:53:25 PM

DON'T LET THEM GET AWAY WITH IT

Always wondered why this was videotaped?

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on August 26, 2019, 10:15:28 PM
Always wondered why this was videotaped?

Well, the conspiracy theorist in me would point out those look like Springfield XD-9s rather than the UK infantry issue Glock 17s so it must be FAKE!!

Though it is probably real, and just an irregular issue of sidearms - filmed by one of the LADZ for mad bantz.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 26, 2019, 11:47:58 PM
Well, the conspiracy theorist in me would point out those look like Springfield XD-9s rather than the UK infantry issue Glock 17s so it must be FAKE!!

Though it is probably real, and just an irregular issue of sidearms - filmed by one of the LADZ for mad bantz.

..kind of them to share their mad bantz with the world.

idunnosomename

fuck me. also off to the obvious thread

Captain Z

I was hoping it wouldn't be Cheryl as it would have ruined Limmy's "Dinner with Favourite Celeb" story for me.

Norton Canes

Dr Rock

Run, For The Sun (ie the xenophobic tabloid)

king_tubby

idunnosomename

i cant bring myself to make fun of that

king_tubby

I'm hoping it's one of those parody accounts you read about nowadays.

idunnosomename

whatever, they didn't ruin their own name with it, no harm done. just wasted a good afternoon photoshopping ken clarke's head on to iron man and matching the light quite well too

king_tubby

Oh sweet Jesus, what about this?

https://twitter.com/JustinWelby/status/1166368605338066945

'Please, Archbish, please stop Brexit.'

'Sadly, no.'