Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:14:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

All this Yellowhammer stuff came out in the leak weeks ago and cunts are still bang up for NO DEAL AT ALL COSTS so let it happen. Who cares. I don't. Let people lose their jobs and die, fucked if I care.

bgmnts

HOW HAVE LABOUR SCREWED US OVER WHEN THEY AREN'T IN POWER !?!?!

PEOPLE ARE SOOOOOOOO STUPID THEY ARE JUST FUELED BY HATE.

bgmnts

The Tory representative on #WalesLive is an absolute fucking tool, even by cunt Tory standards.

They're just mean, thick cunts aren't they? They have no ideas, no policies, just insults and tradition.

BlodwynPig

Did you see Nigel Evans' impression of Jigsaw on C4 news last night, making Berger look good

Jittlebags

Is Nigel Evans the one in a bit of bother a few years ago? Could Google but can't be arsed.

bgmnts

Fucking Eddie Butler making just as much sense as politicians on the issue of Welsh Independence.

Its all so shiiiiite. Lets split the union, total freedom for everyone.

phantom_power

This is a big part of the problem, cunts like this spreading the lie that "No Deal" means "free trade".

https://twitter.com/PropertySpot/status/1171877411572637696

Cloud

Just been engaging with a Brexiteer on Facebook (bad mistake I know). Yellowhammer is by Experts, and we're sick of Experts as all they do is lie, just look at how they scared us over Y2K and absolutely nothing happened, he argues.

This in an EV group!  I can only assume he drives them for the acceleration, as he's got climate denier written all over him.

Buelligan

I can't completely grasp the logic of people, sitting in an audience, listening to and applauding someone.  Someone saying don't listen to clever people, people like lawyers, dismiss their ideas because you can't understand them, listen to me because I am stupid, maybe even stupider than you

I do say though, we need to be very careful of the us vs. them thingy.  The only them in this equation are those manipulating the people to vote for their own impoverishment, disenfranchisement and enslavement.

Jerzy Bondov

I don't understand anyone who can get themselves excited about Trade Deals.

phantom_power

Quote from: Cloud on September 12, 2019, 11:30:33 AM
Just been engaging with a Brexiteer on Facebook (bad mistake I know). Yellowhammer is by Experts, and we're sick of Experts as all they do is lie, just look at how they scared us over Y2K and absolutely nothing happened, he argues.

This in an EV group!  I can only assume he drives them for the acceleration, as he's got climate denier written all over him.

Yeah they don't seem to understand that the reason Y2K didn't cause more problems than it did is because of "experts" doing their job, identifying the danger and mitigating the risks

Cloud

I will say there's a bit of a point in that the media did some scaremongering with Y2K that planes were going to drop out of the sky etc which was very silly.  And of course IT companies exploited it as best they could, as they always do and just as they do with security (I have a paper on my desk that got management into a panic and wondering if they need to throw more money at security because a scan highlighted that a printer was communicating with a suspicious IP address - 2 minutes of investigation revealed that it was setting the clock via NTP and one of the public NTP pool's servers used to be a Tor relay once.  Not "OMG the printer is a botnet").

But that doesn't mean that there wasn't a massive foundation of truth to the Y2K problem and that it wouldn't have caused untold chaos if we'd just sat on our hands and said "nah, experts are silly" and ignored it.  Just as it'd be completely bonkers to say "security experts exaggerate so let's uninstall antivirus, remove all the firewalls and go back to the good old days of Windows XP"

Distrust in experts, lawyers, journalists and mainstream media, and the belief that the wisdom of 'the people' prevails over the education of 'out-of-touch', 'moneyed' elites, has come as much from left-wing populists/social democrats over the years as the right, so the left helped make their own bed with this one, really.

Cuellar

pancreas

Cloud

Quote from: Chuck Armstrong on September 12, 2019, 12:07:47 PM
Distrust in experts, lawyers, journalists and mainstream media, and the belief that the wisdom of 'the people' prevails over the education of 'out-of-touch', 'moneyed' elites, has come as much from left-wing populists/social democrats over the years as the right, so the left helped make their own bed with this one, really.

Distrust of experts is not a left/right issue.  Stop trying to shoehorn everything into a team sport.

Of course it's fucking true. Pre-2016, all the whinging and hand-wringing I ever heard about all lawyers, financiers, mainstream politicians and journalists being bastards and liars came from leftists and radical muckrakers, who are now stunned and amazed that anyone would believe such a thing.

Quote from: Cloud on September 12, 2019, 12:16:25 PM
Distrust of experts is not a left/right issue.  Stop trying to shoehorn everything into a team sport.

I know both sides have been as bad as each other on this, but I just want people on the left to acknowledge the role left-wing figures have played, even though they've decided to change their tune over the last few years.

Replies From View

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on September 12, 2019, 11:40:41 AM
I don't understand anyone who can get themselves excited about Trade Deals.

Mate it's awesome when you can get 10 bananas for the price of 5.

Maybe try eating some bananas next time and you might understand.

Jerzy Bondov

Stopped eating them when the EU banned our bendy British bananas mate

Cuellar

Quote from: Chuck Armstrong on September 12, 2019, 12:23:50 PM
Of course it's fucking true. Pre-2016, all the whinging and hand-wringing I ever heard about all lawyers, financiers, mainstream politicians and journalists being bastards and liars came from leftists and radical muckrakers, who are now stunned and amazed that anyone would believe such a thing.

I know both sides have been as bad as each other on this, but I just want people on the left to acknowledge the role left-wing figures have played, even though they've decided to change their tune over the last few years.

I think it's slightly different though when it's coming now from senior government officials telling people not to listen to experts.

Everyone 'on the ground' thinks politicians are liars, obviously, but is there a comparable 'left wing' politicians, pre-2016 who said anything comparable to Gove's famous 'had enough of experts' bullshit?

radical

That's the only word we need to focus on here.  Radicals tend to nurture and spread their own world view, regardless of truth or evidence.  But they only get what they give.

Quote from: Replies From View on September 12, 2019, 12:26:38 PM
Mate it's awesome when you can get 10 bananas for the price of 5.

Maybe try eating some bananas next time and you might understand.

I just tried eating some bananas, but nothing is any clearer.  Can you explain it in terms of biscuits?

katzenjammer

Of course it's fucking true. Pre-2016, all the whinging and hand-wringing I a sample size of one ever heard selectively remember hearing about all lawyers, financiers, mainstream politicians and journalists being bastards and liars came from people I pidgeon-holed as leftists and radical muckrakers, who are now stunned and amazed that anyone would believe such a thing.

Fixed a couple of things for you

Endicott

Well halloooo, Danger Man.

Fabian Thomsett

Yellowhammer? Didn't they support Hawkwind once?

holyzombiejesus

QuoteLetwin claims majority of MPs would back holding second referendum before election if Brexit deadlock continues

And talking of MPs frustrating a no-deal Brexit, Sir Oliver Letwin, one of the MPs who helped to draw up the bill intended to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October has given an interview to the Evening Standard in which he suggested that MPs might pass another law to hold a referendum on Brexit before a general election.

Tony Blair, the former Labour leader, and Tom Watson, the Labour deputy leader, have both argued this week that it would be better to hold a referendum before a general election because otherwise the general election would end up as a proxy referendum on Brexit, with domestic issues sidelined. Blair has also argued that Jeremy Corbyn's unpopularity could boost the chances of the Tories winning even though voters have doubts about Boris Johnson's hard Brexit strategy.

Labour wants to hold a general election first, which makes it very hard to see how any backbench attempt to seize control of the Commons order paper and pass legislation saying a referendum should come first would succeed. The Hilary Benn bill designed to rule out a no-deal Brexit on 31 October only passed the Commons because all opposition parties (except for the DUP, if you count them as opposition) voted for it.

In his interview with the Standard Letwin did not explain why he thought Corbyn might change his stance on this. But Letwin did claim that MPs would come round to his view that it would be best to have a referendum first, assuming Johnson did not get a deal that could pass the Commons. Here is an extract from the interview.

[Letwin] would definitely oppose trying to decide Brexit in the hurly-burly of a general election campaign. And he is pretty sure MPs are ready to keep postponing the election until after Brexit is decided.

"I can't see how you can do that [resolve Brexit] very well in a general election where it will get, as Alan Duncan said in a marvellous speech this week, all muddled up in other things," he said.

Was he in agreement with Tom Watson, the deputy Labour leader, who yesterday called for a referendum to be held before the election? Sir Oliver replied: "We need to resolve this issue of Brexit before there is a general election so that the election can be about who you want to have govern you, and so the resolution of the Brexit issue is separate. I would prefer that and, like Tom, I would prefer that to be done through the acceptance of a deal in parliament."

And where would that leave the prime minister's plea for an immediate general election with Brexit on the ballot paper?

Sir Oliver replied in a musing tone: "I've heard all sorts of predictions of the election timing — next week, next minute, next day — but I have never been confident they were right because I think we will get a majority in the House of Commons who agree with the view that I take, which is that it is better to get the Brexit issues resolved first and have an election after.

"That means either you get a deal and get it in place, which is relatively quick, or you have a deal followed by a referendum, which is relatively long."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/sep/12/brexit-latest-news-operation-yellowhammer-claims-government-has-taken-considerable-steps-to-avert-no-deal-dangers-in-yellowhammer-live-news

If an election was called after a referendum/ potential deal, that would really help Labour, wouldn't it?

thugler

If they can get a referendum through parliament, go for it. But it seems doubtful if it hasn't happened by now. Is definitely time for it to be tried. Labour will only benefit from a pre election referendum.

NoSleep

It would certainly clarify what a GE would be fought about to have a referendum first, but what are the chances?

thugler

Quote from: NoSleep on September 12, 2019, 01:27:50 PM
It would certainly clarify what a GE would be fought about to have a referendum first, but what are the chances?

Depends how many of the 21 rebels would vote for it really. I'd expect all lab lib and snp and twinge would vote for it.

That's 309, tories have 298 including dup. There's 35 independents so it's dependent on them

holyzombiejesus

I wonder if the lib dems would vote for it as it would kind of be self-defeating and also possibly assist Labour.