Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 05, 2019, 07:31:18 PM
Must be easy just sitting back, moaning and having no excruciatingly difficult decisions to make.

Back in the 60s and 70s, when our politicians were giants infused with a desire to change the world, household names who were in charge of everything - public utilities, water, energy, transport, industrial strategy, imports and exports, jobs, interest rates, inflation, pay - all these incredibly difficult and fundamental issues that affected everyone and the direction of the country. They were the face of everything that happened to us, and responsible and accountable for it.

Then you look at the political munchkins we have today, professional nobodies, crying in parliament, complaining about their mental health, because they've been forced for the first time in their political careers to vote about a really important decision, they're been forced to engage in actual statecraft for once and been found utterly bereft and incapable.

Then it dawns on you why this lot love privatisation, the markets and the EU so much.

NoSleep

Quote from: jobotic on April 05, 2019, 08:26:06 PM
?

She is spot on though.

If you follow the thread started after he tweeted that, she is merely echoing the first reply to Rees Mogg.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1114086264024727554

Quote from: Mike GalsworthyJacob,

If we have a long extension...

We should do what's in the British interest - as we always have done within the EU.

Your tweet is a full-on admission of the huge levels of power that we have always held within the EU.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 06:07:05 PM
Sound alike may won't even compromise and change the political declaration, so there's basically nothing for Labour to work with. What is she playing at, it's almost as if she wants the whole thing to fail. If it was anyone else I'd think there was some grand strategy behind it, but this is May...

The positive upshot of this is that Corbyn and Labour can no longer be accused of not offering their Brexit option, and nor can they be blamed for Brexit being fundamentally shit when even the Leavers finally realise it.

Replies From View

BlodwynPig

So, another week ends with a million things happening and nothing resolved.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2019, 08:54:07 PM
So, another week ends with a million things happening and nothing resolved.

We decided on a new Brexit thread title; what more could you possibly want?

Urinal Cake

The resolution is going to shit mate. The winners and the losers are going to make everybody's life hell. Atleast this was entertaining and educational.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 08:28:07 PM
Back in the 60s and 70s, when our politicians were giants infused with a desire to change the world

Do you think things where better back then?  Also why did you vote to give this current lot more control?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 05, 2019, 09:14:35 PM
Do you think things where better back then?  Also why did you vote to give this current lot more control?

jobotic

Quote from: NoSleep on April 05, 2019, 08:30:03 PM
If you follow the thread started after he tweeted that, she is merely echoing the first reply to Rees Mogg.

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/1114086264024727554

Yeah loads of people have siad it, including me. Not original but still right.

BlodwynPig

Twitter seems to have dumbed down the populace in entirety.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 05, 2019, 09:14:35 PM

My time machine is broken.

biggytitbo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2019, 09:18:21 PM

Guy Verhofstadt the next morning after another long night at the EU commission bar.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 10:30:49 PM

My time machine is broken.

I did wonder why you seem to be stuck in the 1970s. 

Brexit!

Blue Jam

"Brexmas":

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47833702

Christ, why does everything about this have to be so infantile?

biggytitbo

https://youtu.be/ZoO6146qM5g

If you were ever in any doubt about the gulf between our political class now and then, listen to this brilliant speech by Peter Shore, 2 days before the first brexit referendum in 1975. I can't think of a single word of what he says that couldn't have been said yesterday and still be as relevant now as it was then, but it's hard to imagine any politician alive today remotely able to make such a speech. We have to put up with political cobwebs like Rees Mogg and Farage as the only visible figures making the case - badly, that Shore makes so eloquently here.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quotethey've been forced for the first time in their political careers to vote about a really important decision

That's true, benefit cuts, 90 day detention without charge and the Iraq war were not important decisions

Paul Calf

Must be that Brexit Derangement Syndrome I hear so much about.

Urinal Cake

It's probably more accurate to say it's the first time in their political careers that there will be electoral consequences and likely to get egged in the street.

Replies From View

They won't get punched in the head by somebody holding an egg, though.

Urinal Cake

I just remembered Jo Cox so replace egged with shot and stabbed.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteIt's probably more accurate to say it's the first time in their political careers that there will be electoral consequence

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 06, 2019, 08:51:14 AM
I just remembered Jo Cox so replace egged with shot and stabbed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11682732

Nope. Iraq again

Urinal Cake

You're probably right, I think most politicians were always worried about random nutters. The difference is probably that the nuttery has spread due to changes.

Hundhoon

i think most Brexiteers dream of some sort of future Anglo intercontinental federation of UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. 

i and i think about 90 percent of the UK would leave the EU in a heartbeat for that. if they would at least supply some sort of contingency plan for that then it would be appealing.

but they have nothing, i dont even think Nigel Farage expected events to move this quickly

biggytitbo

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 06, 2019, 08:09:21 AM
That's true, benefit cuts, 90 day detention without charge and the Iraq war were not important decisions

Iraq aside they're important but fairly regular domestic issues, not the kind of huge decisions that affect the whole fate of a nation - including both them and their main stakeholders, with historical and global import. Politicians these days are largely protected from such decisions and that's very much how they like it.

As for Iraq and similar, there's a fixed framework for politicians to follow for things like that and they know they will be protected and never have to be responsible for it, nor will it affect the UK in anyway that matters to them.

Feels like they're in the dark here, and unsure what will happen whatever decision they make, and this is so distressing for them its making them cry :(

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: jobotic on April 05, 2019, 10:11:16 PM
Yeah loads of people have siad it, including me. Not original but still right.

Nice bit of Yes, Minister in that thread:

'Yes, Minister' unveils secrets of British foreign policy on Europe; United Nations and diplomacy: https://vimeo.com/85914510

Replies From View

Quote from: Hundhoon on April 06, 2019, 10:49:43 AM
i think most Brexiteers dream of some sort of future Anglo intercontinental federation of UK, Australia, New Zealand and Canada. 

i and i think about 90 percent of the UK would leave the EU in a heartbeat for that. if they would at least supply some sort of contingency plan for that then it would be appealing.

but they have nothing, i dont even think Nigel Farage expected events to move this quickly

What would we be importing from them - basic groceries?

I mean Europe is right there on our doorstep but sure; let's reach over its head to Australia when we want seafood instead.

katzenjammer

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 05, 2019, 08:28:07 PM
Back in the 60s and 70s, when....

Your family was so poor you had to shit in a bucket?

Make your mind up mate.