Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:41:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 05, 2019, 10:17:51 PM
Twitter seems to have dumbed down the populace in entirety.

The internet has.  No one knows how to do anything any more as we just have to ask Google or a support forum for [the car or whatever] on Facebook

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 05, 2019, 10:42:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47833702

Imagine being this wound up about words on a passport, even on this side of the EU debate, jesus.

Replies From View

QuoteThe new burgundy passport

Ha, suck it in losers.

Paul Calf

Blue passports though, mate. Brexmas mate. Don't be The Grinch.

Endicott

Quote from: Replies From View on April 06, 2019, 11:45:57 AM
What would we be importing from them - basic groceries?

I mean Europe is right there on our doorstep but sure; let's reach over its head to Australia when we want seafood instead.

Anecdotal as I'm lazy but I believe we export seafood (mostly to Europe of course). (Doesn't negate your main point which I agree with.)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on April 06, 2019, 11:45:57 AM
What would we be importing from them - basic groceries?

I mean Europe is right there on our doorstep but sure; let's reach over its head to Australia when we want seafood instead.

Canada's Liberal Project is about to tumble into the void giving rise to a new right-wing populism seen elsewhere, so I imagine the Brexit UK taking delivery of a plentiful supply of fake maple syrup to sustain the long lines in the bread gruel queues.

biggytitbo

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 01:56:23 PM
Weird

And I bet you couldn't find a single Leaver on Twitter with a stupid opinion if you tried equally as hard.

Weird indeed.

biggytitbo

I couldn't find anything as mad as claiming remain voters are a new master race.

Bryan Cocks

Remainers aren't smiling. They're as angry and wound up as any Leaver. You could argue that feeling like you need to go on Twitter to shout about how you're not wound up is a bit revealing.

"And the best thing about it, is I couldn't give a fucking shit".

jobotic

A non-weird leaver, who I'm sure represents ALL leavers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47824367

We could do this all day Biggy but seeing how many hang the traitors types you have on your side you'd probably rather not. Particularly those who want no deal. The utterly greedy and the utterly batshit.

biggytitbo

I don't know why remain voters are so wound up. In 2016, for every 100 remain voters, 108 voted to leave. They lost the argument and the vote quite convincingly.

Yet since then every possible compromise short of reversing the result altogether has gone to remain. They have used their immense soft power in the media, academia and culture - not to mention their overwhelming representation in overrepresentation in parliament, to erode 17.4m people's votes and slowly but surely steal away from them the prospect of leaving the EU. At worst you'll get a super soft brexit and probably get it totally cancelled.  You ought to be happy, very ashamed, but happy, how well its gone for you.

But for some people, nothing but totally getting their own way will ever be enough will it?

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on April 06, 2019, 03:19:13 PM
A non-weird leaver, who I'm sure represents ALL leavers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-47824367

We could do this all day Biggy but seeing how many hang the traitors types you have on your side you'd probably rather not. Particularly those who want no deal. The utterly greedy and the utterly batshit.

I imagine that would be more news if it was a well known media figure, former editor of the countries biggest newspaper and a highly connected figure in PR and politics who said it.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 03:07:17 PM
I couldn't find anything as mad as claiming remain voters are a new master race.

Maybe you didn't look.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 03:24:58 PM
I don't know why remain voters are so wound up. In 2016, for every 100 remain voters, 108 voted to leave. They lost the argument and the vote quite convincingly.

Yet since then every possible compromise short of reversing the result altogether has gone to remain. They have used their immense soft power in the media, academia and culture - not to mention their overwhelming representation in overrepresentation in parliament, to erode 17.4m people's votes and slowly but surely steal away from them the prospect of leaving the EU. At worst you'll get a super soft brexit and probably get it totally cancelled.  You ought to be happy, very ashamed, but happy, how well its gone for you.

But for some people, nothing but totally getting their own way will ever be enough will it?
100 remain voters, to 108 leave voters convincing?  lol

Also your talk of compromise is nonsense. Theresa May's "red lines" have been aligned to the hard Brexit faction in her party all along. 

Brexit is fundamentally a bad idea.  This is clear by now, I'm sure you're aware of that, if not then you're simply not able to be honest with yourself about this situation. 

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 03:24:58 PM
I don't know why remain voters are so wound up.

I imagine some people simply lack your wealth/security and have more pressing concerns than spending all their "working" hours being aloof from it all on a comedy forum.

Something along those lines, maybe.

Howj Begg

Good job no high profile politicians, newspaper columnists/owners, famous personalities and journalists have ever said anything stupid or false about Brexit.

Quote from: Replies From View on April 06, 2019, 03:45:19 PM
I imagine some people simply lack your wealth/security and have more pressing concerns than spending all their "working" hours being aloof from it all on a comedy forum.

Something along those lines, maybe.

How much do you ear per annum Biggy?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 06, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
100 remain voters, to 108 leave voters convincing?  lol

Also your talk of compromise is nonsense. Theresa May's "red lines" have been aligned to the hard Brexit faction in her party all along. 

Brexit is fundamentally a bad idea.  This is clear by now, I'm sure you're aware of that, if not then you're simply not able to be honest with yourself about this situation.

May's deal is a pretty soft brexit though, it seeks to create a customs territory similar to the customs union, and align with a lot of single market regulation. Plus the backstop. Its a very very long way off a 'hard brexit' 

Brexit is a fundamentally great idea, the EU is highly dysfunctional and broken as well as a  rotten fit for the UK economically and politically, and leaving it is the first important step in renewing our hollowed out democracy.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Howj Begg on April 06, 2019, 03:53:21 PM
Good job no high profile politicians, newspaper columnists/owners, famous personalities and journalists have ever said anything stupid or false about Brexit.

75% of MPs are remain, including the speaker, as are the vast majority of business, capital, banking, acadamia, the media, influential bourgeois celebrities and the middle class and international institutions and politicians. Versus a small number of your Tim wetherspoon type businessmen, a faction of thoroughly defeated brexiter mps and half a dozen newspapers largely preaching to the converted.

This might explain why the remain side have successfully managed to cancel 17.4m peoples votes, you don't get that unless you hold all the levers of power.

It's funny seeing remainers try to portray themselves as underdogs though, when the world's power elite are pulling all their strings.

Replies From View

Soup Dogg

-people didn't vote for hard brexit, they voted to leave the EU, nothing more nothing less

-it was made very clear during the referendum that leaving the EU would mean leaving single market and customs union, why just look at this quote from Cameron in 2016. The narrative that there can be such a thing as a 'soft' brexit is a psyop perpetrated by the overwhelmingly remain backing elites hell bent on frustrating the will of the people.

- the people? like rees mogg, chortle? I hardly think so chortle. The daily mail? these 'people' are miles away from those who'll suffer the actual reality of brexit.

-oh so I suppose Barnsley doesn't exist? the people of Barnsley know an establishment stitch up when they see it, they've been impoverished for years by a neoliberal system of which the EU is the greatest single expression. that's why the people wanted out, and the latte sipping brie botherers are so bent out of shape about them expressing their democratic right.

-you stupid fucking cunt I will knife you. The EU showered Barnsley with money - what's Westminster ever done for them? what's Westminster going to do for them once the economy tanks after brexit?

-at least they can vote for change in Westminster, the EU is like a big stone that cannot be pushed, psyop psyop Glenn Greenwald.

- I hope you fucking die you slag. you just want to watch the fucking world burn. what use will voting for change be when we've already cause irreparable damage to the nation? oh yeah let's have a fucking plebiscite on which rat to eat. you and your real friends in the Tory party misled people who'd been fucked over by the system into voting to fuck themselves over even harder.

-oh I suppose theyre idiots are they, the people of barnsley? They knew what they were voting for, all 12.9 billion of them, and you'd have to hate democracy to deny them Total Brexit Now.

-people didn't vote for hard brexit, they voted to leave the eu, nothing more nothing less

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 03:58:51 PM

the EU is highly dysfunctional and broken as well as a  rotten fit for the UK economically

This is not true. Britain's EU memberships has been a strong period for the Economy. Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe.

Fambo Number Mive

I wonder if May's successor will take the Chinese government up on their offer: https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1114486481459064832

biggytitbo

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 06, 2019, 05:11:01 PM
This is not true. Britain's EU memberships has been a strong period for the Economy. Britain joined what was then the European Economic Community in 1973 as the sick man of Europe.

I don't think that's true, I mean you're in alternative universe territory but our growth since being in the EU has hardly being stellar. As we've discussed before the customs union is a particular bad fit for the UK, we now have a massive deficit with the EU whilst running a surplus with the rest of the world. It' benefits a manufacturing giant like Germany loads, whilst working very poorly for a more service based economy like the UK.

garnish

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on April 06, 2019, 05:11:01 PM

This is really strong economic analysis and worth the time it took to type it out.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 05:42:48 PM

I don't think that's true, I mean you're in alternative universe territory but our growth since being in the EU has hardly being stellar.

Hardly stellar?  in comparison to what exactly? Our Economy was a mess before we joined, and has enjoyed an unparalleled period  of sustained growth since.  Those are the facts, like them or not my friend.

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 05:42:48 PM

I don't think that's true, I mean you're in alternative universe territory but our growth since being in the EU has hardly being stellar. As we've discussed before the customs union is a particular bad fit for the UK, we now have a massive deficit with the EU whilst running a surplus with the rest of the world. It' benefits a manufacturing giant like Germany loads, whilst working very poorly for a more service based economy like the UK.

We need to rebalance our economy to reduce our dependence on the service sector and increase the number of manufacturing jobs. If the Tories hadn't closed down so much of British industry we wouldn't be in this situation. A Corbyn led government within the EU could bring back manufacturing in Britain.