Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:02:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Brexit Thread Seven: More of this shit

Started by Mister Six, April 05, 2019, 04:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: garnish on April 06, 2019, 05:46:16 PM
This is really strong economic analysis and worth the time it took to type it out.
In contrast your reply was a waste of time. 

biggytitbo

This is the new genre of bullshit the media are bombarding us with https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/06/a-shambles-on-which-the-sun-never-sets-how-the-world-sees-brexit

The rest of the world is looking aghast at what a mess the UK is in! Really? Compared to what? The mad world of Trumps America? The endless eurozone crisis? Macrons France, on fire every weekend? Italy and Greece's perpetual financial woes? Apartheid Israel? Russia and China who we're told are awful? Make no mistake, as Peter shore said in 1975, this is an assault on us, its an attempt to break our morale and make us meekly capitulate.

The UK voted to leave a neoliberal trading bloc, parliament doesn't like it and can't decide what to do. That's the crisis from which apperently the whole world thinks the UK is sinking into the sea.

Replies From View

Do you know anybody who isn't English, biggy?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on April 06, 2019, 05:52:06 PM
We need to rebalance our economy to reduce our dependence on the service sector and increase the number of manufacturing jobs. If the Tories hadn't closed down so much of British industry we wouldn't be in this situation. A Corbyn led government within the EU could bring back manufacturing in Britain.

A good way of doing that would be to leave the EU so the government can protect the UK manufacturing sector from the EU itself.

jobotic

Blah blah blah

Trump who you supported? Nowt wrong with Russia or China. Fine people, their leaders. Strong.

You're damn right though, I'm not capitulating, I'm on a message board.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Replies From View on April 06, 2019, 06:04:59 PM

Yes, there must be 20 or more nationalities in our office, not just from the EU, Australians, Americans, South Africans. I spent two years working with Germans on a project recently, sit opposite a woman from Belgium. There's a girl from China. Lots of Latvians.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 06:06:03 PM

A good way of doing that would be to leave the EU so the government can protect the UK manufacturing sector from the EU itself.

And how do we protect our manufacturing sector? We can't stop a multi national moving production to Estonia if they want. We could encourage them to stay though, by offering massive tax breaks, or favourable terms of employment where workers suffer. And we'll be told that not accepting the new terms is unpatriotic. Can't you see how this is going?

biggytitbo

We must allow tariff free access to our markets to all countries in the EU, and whatever countries the EU does trade deals with. This does not suit the UK economy, hence the massive and ever expanding deficit with the EU. If we leave we can design a tariff system designed to suit our economy and our manufacturers, rather than Germany's.

Hey, Punk!

Capitalists will make everything work in their favour, Brexit or Remain was never going to benefit us. Both sides are the worst option, I can't see this as being an effective springboard for true radical action. Brexit is definitely a sign that people desire radical change, but national sovereignty is complete horse shit, especially in a first world nation. We can talk about the fact that the EU is a neoliberal institution, but we may as well say the same thing about the British Parliament.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Replies From View on April 06, 2019, 06:04:59 PM

He's never been abroad. Even less likely that he's been south of Tankersley

biggytitbo

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 06, 2019, 08:54:35 PM
Capitalists will make everything work in their favour, Brexit or Remain was never going to benefit us. Both sides are the worst option, I can't see this as being an effective springboard for true radical action. Brexit is definitely a sign that people desire radical change, but national sovereignty is complete horse shit, especially in a first world nation. We can talk about the fact that the EU is a neoliberal institution, but we may as well say the same thing about the British Parliament.

It's not about any specific policy outcome but whether the decisions that affect the British people should be made in this country or hundreds of miles away in an opaque way that we have little say over.

royce coolidge

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 06:28:02 PM

Yes, there must be 20 or more nationalities in our office, not just from the EU, Australians, Americans, South Africans. I spent two years working with Germans on a project recently, sit opposite a woman from Belgium. There's a girl from China. Lots of Latvians.

And I seem to remember you loathe them all.

royce coolidge

Quote from: Hey, Punk! on April 06, 2019, 08:54:35 PM

Nail on the head.

Beagle 2

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 11:17:50 PM

It's not about any specific policy outcome but whether the decisions that affect the British people should be made in this country or hundreds of miles away in an opaque way that we have little say over.

Are you for Scottish independence? Not trying to catch you out, I just genuinely can't remember.

biggytitbo

A lot of papers today are reporting about May's capitulation to labour and how she's betraying the tory party.

I can't help think if she does end up doing a deal with labour she's actually saving the tories from themselves.

I mean I think a tory/labour soft brexit is now the best outcome we can realistically expect, but the idea it'd be a disaster for the tories is probably misguided. The hardliners will ultimately live with it as it doesn't rule out a harder line in the future, and it keeps the moderates on board - who actually makeup most of the party at the moment. May probably understands the tory party better than anyone else - she is a true believer, I wouldn't be surprised if this ultimately proves to be the least worst option available to her in terms of keeping her party together and delivering some of of recogniseable brexit.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on April 06, 2019, 11:35:42 PM
Are you for Scottish independence? Not trying to catch you out, I just genuinely can't remember.

If they want it, I'm in favour. I was a bit cynical at the time though I admit because the SNP had made such a shit case, but it looks pretty bulletproof today if that they say is true.

Of course if you remove Scotland from the 2016 referendum then results are changed somewhat - for every 100 remain voters, 114 voted to leave. It looks more decisive than ever.

garnish

My aunt has bollocks and we call her Terry.

Replies From View

One of my uncles is a cunt and we call him fuckface.

Replies From View

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 06, 2019, 11:43:40 PM

If they want it, I'm in favour. I was a bit cynical at the time though I admit because the SNP had made such a shit case, but it looks pretty bulletproof today if that they say is true.

Of course if you remove Scotland from the 2016 referendum then results are changed somewhat - for every 100 remain voters, 114 voted to leave. It looks more decisive than ever.

Also the general election results without Scotland would have delivered more Tory victories, which you'd have been delighted with.

biggytitbo

Replies From View

"Never forgiven" might be tough talk but it'd be fair enough to hold a bit of a grudge I'd have thought.

You like your analogies:  it'd be like if you were six years old and a wanker uncle decided to veto Christmas for you one year, just because he had the power to do that.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So as far as I see:

Likeliest outcome from here:

May refuses Corbyn offer due to confirmatory vote insistence, goes to EU with begging bowl, May declines offer of long extension to have one further MV first, knowing the EU don't want No Deal and will save her at the 11th hour, if only to save themselves. MV fails big time. May takes lengthy extension, leadership challenge... May...goes?

BlodwynPig

We both know that isn't going to happen

biggytitbo

Long delay, slow suffocation of brexit, total disillusionment with politics, Nigel Farage storms the next election, becomes PM, reveals the whole thing was a joke and he loves the EU really and takes us into the Euro.

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Guy Verhofstadt installed as the new Queen, free EU jumpsuits for all 66m citizens.

Replies From View

The 17m minority won't need to wear them if after all this they still hate the EU.

biggytitbo

Paul Calf

Trying to stop the Tories spinning their way out of a loss of face? Or are "Tory negotiators" just lying?

Where did that come from?