Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Kenny Everett

Started by BeardFaceMan, April 05, 2019, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Jockice on April 08, 2019, 09:08:27 AM
Did you all get it eh? What a sidesplitter! Ambient Sheep for some reason didn't find it funny though. Er...

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 08, 2019, 10:05:00 AM
I didn't get it.

For the benefit of Lisa and anyone else who's now even more mystified, especially as to where I come into this, I sent Jockice the following PM yesterday:

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on April 07, 2019, 08:38:48 PM
Hiya J,

Quote from: Jockice on April 07, 2019, 11:58:17 AMI found him a bit irritating. But this is a great sketch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXgkuM2NhYI

Unless there's some subtle joke I'm missing, you might want to check that link...

Cheers,
Sheepy.

He replied this morning in a manner that seemed to indicate it was a genuine mistake.

Next time I'll just say it in public... or simply not bother in case it does turn out to be a subtle joke/reference I was missing.

Still no wiser as to what the original clip was supposed to be, though.

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: buzby on April 08, 2019, 08:12:11 AM
I can highly recommend his mid-80s autobiography The Custard Stops At Hatfield (it was also the primary source for the story of Cupid Stunt's original name being vetoed by the Beeb).

Been a while since I read it, but he came across as quite gloomy amid the wackiness, as if he wasn't at all happy with himself or with the weirdness of being alive. This was before his diagnosis, obviously. A clash of his Catholic upbringing and being secretly gay perhaps, but that might be too simplistic.

Keep meaning to get hold of Cleo Rocos's [Everett-style aside: You could finish the sentence there] book about him. Anyone here read it?

QuoteIncluding being the first to play Bohemian Rhapsody due to his friendship with Freddie Mercury, playing the track 14 times over 2 days as part of the band's underhand plan to force EMI to release it as the first single off A Day At The Races.

Ooph! You mean Duck Soup, surely.

Jockice

It was this one. The only time as far as I can remember that Everett ever made me laugh out loud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJUHis7RxE

Ta for pointing it out by the way AS. Otherwise it could have remained a mystery forever and ever. Amen.

Quote from: Jockice on April 08, 2019, 11:47:02 AM
It was this one. The only time as far as I can remember that Everett ever made me laugh out loud. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pJUHis7RxE

Ta for pointing it out by the way AS. Otherwise it could have remained a mystery forever and ever. Amen.

Although here's the original version with the soundtrack from the actual programme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOxgP0ShjZc

buzby

Quote from: Bennett Brauer on April 08, 2019, 11:46:39 AM
Been a while since I read it, but he came across as quite gloomy amid the wackiness, as if he wasn't at all happy with himself or with the weirdness of being alive. This was before his diagnosis, obviously. A clash of his Catholic upbringing and being secretly gay perhaps, but that might be too simplistic.
Oh yeah, it pulls no punches when he casually starts talking about suicide attempts and alcohol dependency in the midst of his whacky tales. The bouts of manic depression and drink/substance dependency seem to be common traits with a few other famous people who were dispatched to and dropped out of seminary school at a young age - Tom Baker, Johnny Vegas, for example
Ooph! You mean Duck Soup, surely.
Yes, should have been Night At The Opera (I am not a fan of Queen and know nothing of their albums).

Blumf

Quote from: Jockice on April 08, 2019, 11:47:02 AM

That superhero action jump to the urinal makes it.

SavageHedgehog

Just to say the Boxset of the Thames years is £17 in Asda at the moment (or at least it was in my Asda).

daf

Techmoan blows the dust off some of Kenny Everett's DJ carts from the 70's

Glebe

This popped up recently thanks to YT algorithm and I remember it from childhood. Joanna Lumley, cor blimey!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Generally, I don't find Kenny Everett to be funny, but that sketch is actually quite sweet, isn't it?

Thosworth

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 06, 2019, 01:53:58 PMYer woman Jilly Johnson went all completely look-at-my-norks lads topless in the late night Channel 4 Comedy Show "Assaulted Nuts", circa early 1985. She was also sat in a bath tub, but there was a distinct lack of obscuring suds.

Similar scene with Pamela Stephenson in NTNOCN which I was surprised to see when I downloaded everything a few years ago.

PaulTMA

I recently heard a radio clip of him interviewing his pal Freddie Mercury, previewing songs from their A Day At The Races LP and he puts him on the spot a little by asking "this song, The Millionaire Waltz, it's a bit... gay, isn't it?" which was the most I'd laughed at anything in ages

Blumf

Any ideas what cuddly Ken would be up to these days? It strikes me that the internet would have been a great playground for him, as he always pushed the limits of available tech. On the other hand, it would have been easy for him to put his foot in it, as he had done a few times before.

Glebe

Quote from: Blumf on July 31, 2022, 02:21:00 PMAny ideas what cuddly Ken would be up to these days? It strikes me that the internet would have been a great playground for him, as he always pushed the limits of available tech. On the other hand, it would have been easy for him to put his foot in it, as he had done a few times before.

Put his foot in it or wave his giant comedy hands at it!

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Blumf on July 31, 2022, 02:21:00 PMAny ideas what cuddly Ken would be up to these days? It strikes me that the internet would have been a great playground for him, as he always pushed the limits of available tech. On the other hand, it would have been easy for him to put his foot in it, as he had done a few times before.

Voting Ukip, like a lot of his fellow 1960's pirate DJ's, and possibly, like his inspiration and fellow tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo-er Milligan, making increasingly reactionary public pronouncements, his denial about his sexuality may have resurfaced. I doubt he would have learned to act, as several critics have observed, his "zany characters" were basically just him in different costumes.

All Surrogate

... His critics were less kind.

Podcasting would be my guess.

ajsmith2

Loosely related (on the topic of what Ken might have done in later years had he not died) I find this except from one of his Capital Gold shows from April 1994 (pretty much a year before he left us) fascinating as Everett in the 90s just seems so jarring, as he seems fixed as a 70s/80s figure. At one point he mentions Sonic The Hedgehog and it just seems kind of odd to think they overlapped.

McChesney Duntz

This just turned up on the 'tube yesterday, Kennyheads...

Uncle TechTip

Also i saw Techmoan did a YouTube about Kenny's carts, i don't have the link though

McChesney Duntz

Blumf

Quote from: daf on July 30, 2022, 02:24:41 PMTechmoan blows the dust off some of Kenny Everett's DJ carts from the 70's

McChesney Duntz

(slaps forehead) This is where I saw that linked in the first place...

daf

Did Kenny ever produce any bands?

From the sound of those jingles he was a superb engineer!

TheMonk

There's a mountain of his radio shows from the 60s onwards at Mixcloud, with music and adverts and all. (There's loads of other stuff there too, like old charts from years past. A proper rabbit hole.)

ajsmith2

Quote from: daf on July 31, 2022, 09:59:19 PMDid Kenny ever produce any bands?

From the sound of those jingles he was a superb engineer!

Not really, although he came kind of close when he produced/compiled the last 2 (1968 and 1969) Beatles Xmas flexis. That was more like editing together a bunch of dashed off festive messages and skits by 4 increasingly estranged latent solo artists putting on a front than 'producing a band' in any conventional sense though.

Galeee

Any of the Mixcloud stuff from his time on Radio London? (I mean Big L, the pirate radio ship, broadcasting from 1964-7.)
As a pre teen, I used to love the Kenny and Cash Show. I was surprised when I read recently that it was only broadcast for a few months.

TheMonk

Quote from: Galeee on August 01, 2022, 02:06:59 AMAny of the Mixcloud stuff from his time on Radio London? (I mean Big L, the pirate radio ship, broadcasting from 1964-7.)
As a pre teen, I used to love the Kenny and Cash Show. I was surprised when I read recently that it was only broadcast for a few months.
Yes.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Magicalbus/radio-london-19650902-1707-1807-kenny-and-cash-live-at-the-marquee-club/

https://www.mixcloud.com/barryskipsey/1965-07-07-radio-london-kenny-cash/

It looks like they also worked together around 74?

Glebe

Quote from: ajsmith2 on July 31, 2022, 03:21:21 PMLoosely related (on the topic of what Ken might have done in later years had he not died) I find this except from one of his Capital Gold shows from April 1994 (pretty much a year before he left us) fascinating as Everett in the 90s just seems so jarring, as he seems fixed as a 70s/80s figure. At one point he mentions Sonic The Hedgehog and it just seems kind of odd to think they overlapped.

"Wonderful Radio London... whoopee!"

Yeah strange to hear him namecheck Sonic!

Interesting interview with Ken from a few years before:

Sinead O' Connor questioning him about being a Tory supporter on the The Late Late Show ("This isn't gettin' any laffs!") has been taken down but there's a clip from his appearance on the show at 2:16 here:

Glebe

I have a misty childhood memory of seeing a Captain Kremmen View-Finder reel (as depicted here!) in a local newsagents.

No Kenny thread is complete without the inclusion of this legendary chestnut:

And here's Ken being disturbing and gory:

(Actually these sketches have quite possibly been included in the clip collections posted in this thread but never mind).