Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:48:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

D'Angelo

Started by kalowski, April 05, 2019, 08:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Why have I got this far in life without hearing him? I've got Black Messiah on right now. Right in my ears.
This is fucking brilliant.

I assume I'll just get everything he's ever produced.

Urinal Cake

Yeah he was fucking brilliant back in the day. Then he got fat and became a meme.
I would like to add Maxwell and Van Hunt to this thread.

All a bit too eccentric and happy for popular RnB/PBRnB in the last 20 years.

non capisco

I'm guessing he's not doing brilliantly these days as I was supposed to go and see him live last year, the gig was rescheduled twice and then dropped altogether. He had an impressive band lineup assembled but I'm not sure if any UK dates went ahead at all.

Z

He badly fucked up black messiahs release tbh, 2 months earlier and it would have topped most year end lists that year.

Voodoo is where it's at though, great great stuff

Sin Agog

D'Angelo's great, but I wish his occasional backing singer, Bilal, had gotten more attention as well.  His albums Airtight's Revenge and A Love Surreal got so many plays by me back in the day.  They had a cohesion and wistful maturity the genre sometimes lacked.  https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0apYId-zQQE

Sin Agog

OK, relistened to some D'Angelo and Bilal today for the first time in years, and it's painfully earnest.  I do, however, like the way so much Neo-Soul sounds like it was just a singer singing without a metronome or backing track, and they just added all the music afterwards.  Really distinguishes it from the tight bars of Ye Olde-Soul.

CaledonianGonzo

Black Messiah's one of my favourite albums of the last few years. It's incredible.

monkfromhavana

Yes, despite my girlfriends protestations that it's just "make out music", D'Angelo is fantastic. Cruisin' is a great tune.

SteveDave

I mostly remember him from that video where it looked like he had no kecks on and you could see those muscles on his sides that lead down to his crotch. Very defined.

poodlefaker

Black Messiah is phenomenal. I'm guessing it took ages to make, with painstaking attention to detail, yet it sounds fresh, improvised and loose. Retro-sounding in parts but completely contemporary. Should be absolutely massive.