Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,491
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:07:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

And Did Those Feet, With Alan Partridge

Started by Kryton, April 05, 2019, 11:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2019/04/05/42703/alan_partridge_to_front_a_sweeping_history_of_britain

New Partridge to begin filming in May. An historical documentary style this time!

Alan Partridge's forthcoming series is a Simon Schama-style historical documentary of Britain, Chortle can reveal.

Production has begun on the BBC One show, provisionally titled And Did Those Feet, With Alan Partridge, with filming set to begin in May.

Rob and Neil Gibbons will once again direct and share writing duties with star Steve Coogan.

Dave Lambert, who produced the Partridge documentaries, Scissored Isle and Welcome to the Places of My Life, is also on board, with the series being made by Coogan's production company Baby Cow

Fantastic news. A series as well, rather than just a one off.

Malcy

I wasn't expecting a series either, thought it would have been a one off. Great stuff. Look forward to it.

Glebe

Hoping this is a bit of a return to Places of My Life territory.

BlodwynPig

It feels like he has been doing a history of Britain for years already

Ferris

Quote from: Glebe on April 06, 2019, 02:45:27 AM
Hoping this is a bit of a return to Places of My Life territory.

PoML and SI are some the very best Partridge for me. The better parts of TTWAP were the filmed "segment" bits, and that's basically what the documentaries were (and hopefully this one will be).

Any chance of him working with Ianucci in the foreseeable future?

NoSleep

I take it that in the Partridgeverse the BBC is a shit as it is in real life to give Alan a series like this (while turning down David Attenborough). Great satire.

Le Tourbillon

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 10:34:15 AM
I take it that in the Partridgeverse the BBC is a shit as it is in real life to give Alan a series like this (while turning down David Attenborough). Great satire.

Bloody BBC. Continually churning out world-class TV and radio for decades at the cost of a few quid a week.

Since when have the BBC chucked out Attenborough? It's just that he's now also working with other broadcasters who can tap into the talent that the BBC have nurtured over the years.

NoSleep

QuoteWhere it differs from BBC shows is in no longer ignoring or minimising the threats facing all the environments and animals on display. Hamstrung by the idea that any mention of eco-problems would make audiences switch off, and the broadcasters' preferred strategy of hoping that sharing incredible sights around the world would inspire people to save them, nature programming has been taken to task for avoiding the issue, and not using their power to raise awareness of the dangers facing us all. Contextless stories don't inspire us to change, after all; they just allow us to continue in our comfortable, fatal state of denial. Producer Alastair Fothergill has expressed frustration that he wasn't allowed to include more on the subject at the BBC.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/05/our-planet-review-david-attenborough-netflix-eco-warrior-activist-bbc

NoOffenceLynn

Fantastic, this made my Saturday morning!
Agree with Places of my Life and SL being some of his best work. So many great scenes.

Alan walking through the graveyard with the vicar who couldn't quite keep pace with him or the camera.

The vicar talking peacefully/gently to Alan "well I know your parents are buried here"
Alan completely tone deaf gives a small shrug of the shoulders and replys "well they died, so we buried them".

Finally, Alan shouting "found them!" in a tone you would use when you find your lost car keys, when he located his parents graves.

Also, "the watch is waterproof". Is pure peak Partridge.

NoOffenceLynn

edit... replied to myself there. I hit the "post" twice, just not the back of the net.

Cuellar

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 06, 2019, 03:16:55 AM
PoML and SI are some the very best Partridge for me. The better parts of TTWAP were the filmed "segment" bits, and that's basically what the documentaries were (and hopefully this one will be).

Yeah, samesies. I remember thinking Scissored Isle was the weaker of the two, but I watched the first 15 minutes or so again the other day and it's great. The whole Tesco bit alone is brilliant.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 10:50:52 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/apr/05/our-planet-review-david-attenborough-netflix-eco-warrior-activist-bbc

Attenborough makes programmes for the BBC all the time. He was on just last week with a documentary about Tasmania and he's back again on Thursday 18th April with a prime-time BBC One programme about climate change.

You can prove anything with facts.

NoSleep

And, if you read the article, they had to make Our Planet outside of the BBC because they were not prepared to go in the direction Attenborough and his producer wanted (more hard hitting). So now the BBC have back tracked and are following suit (I guess going to Netflix showed them the lengths he was prepared to go). It just goes to show some of the wooly-headed thinking that exists within the institution. That and the now plainly-obvious bias of their current affairs output. What have we to look forward to, once Attenborough pops his clogs? Professor Brian Cox and his music videos is a long drop down the evolutionary ladder.

I did read the article and I find it unlikely that a worried BBC speedily commissioned an Attenborough-fronted show about climate change to appease the great man. He's also made at least three high profile BBC programmes about climate change in the last ten years and frequently touches upon the issue in his other natural history programmes (as mentioned in that article).

Le Tourbillon

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 01:55:36 PM
And, if you read the article, they had to make Our Planet outside of the BBC because they were not prepared to go in the direction Attenborough and his producer wanted (more hard hitting). So now the BBC have back tracked and are following suit (I guess going to Netflix showed them the lengths he was prepared to go). It just goes to show some of the wooly-headed thinking that exists within the institution. That and the now plainly-obvious bias of their current affairs output. What have we to look forward to, once Attenborough pops his clogs? Professor Brian Cox and his music videos is a long drop down the evolutionary ladder.

While I agree that the BBC has been weak on climate change, could you quote me the bit from the article where it says they had to make the programme outside the BBC? There's only a reference to the programme's producer having felt limited by the BBC in the past that I can see. I can quote you the bit in the same article where it says:

QuoteThe BBC has just begun a season of films under the banner Our Planet Matters in recognition of the fact that their traditional approach has become – to borrow eco-parlance – unsustainable. Attenborough is due to front a film explicitly about climate change as part of it.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 06, 2019, 02:02:51 PM
I did read the article and I find it unlikely that a worried BBC speedily commissioned an Attenborough-fronted show about climate change to appease the great man. He's also made at least three high profile BBC programmes about climate change in the last ten years and frequently touches upon the issue in his other natural history programmes (as mentioned in that article).

So why does the producer of Our Planet speak of his frustration at working with the BBC?

NoSleep

Quote from: Le Tourbillon on April 06, 2019, 02:13:15 PM
While I agree that the BBC has been weak on climate change, could you quote me the bit from the article where it says they had to make the programme outside the BBC? There's only a reference to the programme's producer having felt limited by the BBC in the past that I can see. I can quote you the bit in the same article where it says:

Yes, they have backtracked from their previous timidity in presenting what Attenborough want to show.

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 02:26:48 PM
So why does the producer of Our Planet speak of his frustration at working with the BBC?

I don't know, maybe he wasn't involved with the Attenborough-fronted climate change documentaries I mentioned in my previous post?

I agree that the BBC should be doing more to spread awareness of climate change, but I'm disputing your demonstrably false claim that they haven't allowed Attenborough to talk about it. They have and they are.

ANYWAY. Alan Partridge.

NoSleep

I haven't made any false claims. It's all in the article. They were getting him to hold back on the full frontal eco warrior stuff, so he's gone elsewhere to present it and now they are letting him do that stuff (or maybe another department has OK'd it, not the nature people, I don't know); he's the right person for the job. It was utterly wet of them to have told him to hold back in the first place.

But the BBC has a long history of backing the interests of the establishment above what's the right thing to do.

Tom Mills - The BBC: Myth Of A Public Service

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 03:05:37 PM
I haven't made any false claims. It's all in the article. They were getting him to hold back on the full frontal eco warrior stuff, so he's gone elsewhere to present it and now they are letting him do that stuff (or maybe another department has OK'd it, not the nature people, I don't know); he's the right person for the job. It was utterly wet of them to have told him to hold back in the first place.

As I've already said, Attenborough has made some 'full frontal eco warrior' programmes for the BBC in recent years, a fact which the article ignores as it doesn't fit in with the narrative.

We've sailed way off topic here, let's leave it at that.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 06, 2019, 03:12:37 PM
As I've already said, Attenborough has made some 'full frontal eco warrior' programmes for the BBC in recent years, a fact which the article ignores as it doesn't fit in with the narrative.

He would probably disagree with you, too.

He would disagree with the existence of programmes he's made? This is ridiculous.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 02:26:48 PM

Moral justification. I'm sure Alistair Fothergill had no difficulty deciding whether to set up his own production company to earn millions of pounds in commissions from the likes of Netflix.

NoSleep

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on April 06, 2019, 03:15:42 PM
He would disagree with the existence of programmes he's made? This is ridiculous.

He would disagree with your judgement on them (clearly wanting to take a stronger stand than was permitted).

NoSleep

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on April 06, 2019, 03:17:11 PM
Moral justification. I'm sure Alistair Fothergill had no difficulty deciding whether to set up his own production company to earn millions of pounds in commissions from the likes of Netflix.

He must have done it just for the money.

Quote from: NoSleep on April 06, 2019, 03:17:57 PM
He would disagree with your judgement on them (clearly wanting to take a stronger stand than was permitted).

Have you seen the programmes I'm referring to? They didn't pull any punches, they were unequivocal statements about the threat of climate change.

kalowski

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 06, 2019, 03:16:55 AM
PoML and SI are some the weakest Partridge for me. The worst parts of TTWAP were the filmed "segment" bits, and that's basically what the documentaries were (and unfortunately this one will be).