Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Audio Equipment Recommendation

Started by magval, April 07, 2019, 11:23:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magval

Morning CaB. Apologies for probable incorrect terminology to follow.

I'm currently using an Aiwa hi-fi from around 2003 as my main audio setup. The TV/consoles run via RCA input into the back, and the turntable runs via RCA (and phono box) into the front. However, it's recently started to annoy me that its CD functionality no longer works.

So what I'm looking for is a main hi-fi unit that plays CDs and has two of those red/white inputs. Not so fussed about radio, casette or anything else. I don't need speakers as I love the ones that come with it, but if you can't buy them without speakers, aye, makes sense.

I don't want any loss in power or sound quality but I also don't know how these things are created in the first place. Wattage? Or chips in the hardware?

Can anyone recommend a good hi-fi or failing that, somewhere that I can filter results by those specific criteria?

Thanks all.

Sebastian Cobb

If you're after an all-in-one with inputs I'd probably checkout gumtree or ebay for one. I don't think they're quite as common as they used to be since sonos/ipod docs/soundbars. Technics, Teac and Denon seemed to make fairly good ones. Although I think the Technics ones can be a bit temperamental these days, also make sure they have the ribbon connector as they're useless without them.

magval

Thanks Seb. I shouldn't be hoping for anything new, then?

Sebastian Cobb

Well you're looking at about 250 quid for new
https://www.richersounds.com/hi-fi/separates/mini-hi-fi.html (I checked ebay and teak stuff can go for 30-80 quid)

And if you're spending that much I'd personally go for used separates by NAD or something. There's bargains to be had in used gear.

royce coolidge

The Denon ud m41 mini is very good for the money (about 230 quid without speakers) but has only one RCA input,although you could connect your console to the digital optical input with appropriate cable.
Otherwise I agree with Seb and seperates may be the way to go as a way of getting multiple RCA inputs,if you don't fancy 2nd hand then Marantz base CD and amp seperates can be had for around 150 quid each and are very good for the price.
If buying new I strongly recommend Richer Sounds-good prices,real customer service and excellent guarantees.

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah I too recommend richer as well, they've always been helpful, have often dropped the price of more expensive gear when something I wanted wasn't in stock. As well as doing decent warranties, if your gear breaks out of warranty you can take it in and they'll get it sent out to third party service centres for you, which is helpful (you'll need to pay for the actual work though).

magval

Quote from: royce coolidge on April 07, 2019, 06:25:14 PM
The Denon ud m41 mini is very good for the money (about 230 quid without speakers) but has only one RCA input,although you could connect your console to the digital optical input with appropriate cable.
Otherwise I agree with Seb and seperates may be the way to go as a way of getting multiple RCA inputs,if you don't fancy 2nd hand then Marantz base CD and amp seperates can be had for around 150 quid each and are very good for the price.
If buying new I strongly recommend Richer Sounds-good prices,real customer service and excellent guarantees.

This is a lovely wee thing. I had completely forgotten about the optical out on my TV so that would work perfectly for that end and the RCA will do for the records. Might be the one to go for and there's a Richer Sounds two minutes from work. Will have to check in there.

Thanks both!

holyzombiejesus

Can I ask a question? I might buy a new turntable. The one I have in the living room really needs replacing. It's made by fucking Ariston and is shit. I'm not that arsed about the spec although would prefer a button to change speeds (I play a lot of 7"s) rather than switching the belt over. Would need a lid too as we have a 2 year old with busy fingers. I've got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon upstairs but would ideally get something a little cheaper. Looked at a Rega one although not sure if they do they auto speed change. In a way it feels a bit daft getting a snazzy turntable as my Cambridge Audio amp was about £100 and the speakers are knackered old hand-me-downs wedged between books up on the top shelves and connected up with doorbell wire. But it's quite a nice thing to buy, isn't it?

Endicott

I don't understand why you want to get one when you've got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon upstairs. Worried about the busy fingers? Anyway, the Regas don't have a speed button you have to move the belt.

Any old turntable on ebay for under 100 would do you. eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-DC-Servo-Automatic-Turntable-System-Sl-J110R-record-Player/264269287712?hash=item3d87ad5120

You could consider a turntable up grade part of a project. Maybe replace your speaker cable or speakers as a next thing.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Endicott on April 08, 2019, 12:04:18 PM
I don't understand why you want to get one when you've got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon upstairs. Worried about the busy fingers? Anyway, the Regas don't have a speed button you have to move the belt.

Any old turntable on ebay for under 100 would do you. eg
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Technics-DC-Servo-Automatic-Turntable-System-Sl-J110R-record-Player/264269287712?hash=item3d87ad5120

You could consider a turntable up grade part of a project. Maybe replace your speaker cable or speakers as a next thing.

Because I play records when I am in the living room as well as when I'm up in the attic. I want a new turntable downstairs as even though I changed the stylus a couple of weeks back, it's a nasty plasticy cheap thing with shitty automatic (and seemingly random) arm lifts and if I'm replacing it, I may as well get something relatively decent. We never have it on too loud or sit quietly listening to jazz or whatever so I'm not too fussed about speakers etc, even though I guess I should be really.

buzby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2019, 11:27:03 AM
Can I ask a question? I might buy a new turntable. The one I have in the living room really needs replacing. It's made by fucking Ariston and is shit. I'm not that arsed about the spec although would prefer a button to change speeds (I play a lot of 7"s) rather than switching the belt over. Would need a lid too as we have a 2 year old with busy fingers. I've got a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon upstairs but would ideally get something a little cheaper. Looked at a Rega one although not sure if they do they auto speed change. In a way it feels a bit daft getting a snazzy turntable as my Cambridge Audio amp was about £100 and the speakers are knackered old hand-me-downs wedged between books up on the top shelves and connected up with doorbell wire. But it's quite a nice thing to buy, isn't it?
If you are after something a bit more retro/classic looking and a bit less plasticy, here's some ebay links, all under a ton:
Sansui SR-222 MkII (I had one of these, they have a very nice  Jelco-style arm)
Sansui SR-232
Sansui FR-D3
Dual CS-503-1
Dual CS-503-1

Sebastian Cobb

^ Revolver seem to be good value if Jelco arms are your bag. You do have to move the belt by hand though, mind.

I'm amazed at how much the cost of Lenco's have gone up in the ~10 years since I bought mine. The tonearm itself, which is probably the worst part of it and the first thing people replace is going for double what I paid for the deck.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: buzby on April 08, 2019, 01:18:00 PM
If you are after something a bit more retro/classic looking and a bit less plasticy, here's some ebay links, all under a ton:
Sansui SR-222 MkII (I had one of these, they have a very nice  Jelco-style arm)
Sansui SR-232
Sansui FR-D3
Dual CS-503-1
Dual CS-503-1

I like the SR222 and the 1st Dual although I'm not sure what the wire is next to the red jack plug on the latter. Which of those 2 would you recommend? Money aside, would they be better quality than a £250ish new turntable?

Sebastian Cobb

Looks like the left phono has been ripped off, given there's what looks like a separate earth.

I'd recommend used decks; prior to the vinyl revival they were niche (with mass production and the big players mostly giving up on them) and with the revival there's a lot of cash-ins.

I would recommend you factor in the cost of a replacement stylus (or entire cartridge) though. The audio technica at95 is a reasonably priced bet.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 08, 2019, 08:23:00 PM
Looks like the left phono has been ripped off, given there's what looks like a separate earth.

I'd recommend used decks; prior to the vinyl revival they were niche (with mass production and the big players mostly giving up on them) and with the revival there's a lot of cash-ins.

I would recommend you factor in the cost of a replacement stylus (or entire cartridge) though. The audio technica at95 is a reasonably priced bet.

Yeah, I guessed that about the phono missing. I'll probably give that a miss in that case. Very tempted by the Sanusi in that case. Any other options?

NattyDread 2

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2019, 08:32:24 PM
Any other options?

These seem well regarded enough - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audio-Technica-ATLP120USB-USB-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q#customerReviews or cheaper in black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00RYVUZEE/ref=psdc_4085841_t1_B002S1CJ2Q
A bit of a Technics 1200/1210 copy. I've no experience of them but might be worth a gander.

It could be worth scouring gumtree ads close to home too.

Sebastian Cobb

Marantz were always good. Technics (non DJ) were good until they started doing weird plastic stuff like their linear tracking decks.

Gumtree is a good shout, packing turntables properly is a ballache so people either don't bother or do it badly.

I think one of my pals had the first Sanusi buzby posted. Later replaced by a technics linear tracker when he bent the stylus.

holyzombiejesus

Is there any point in getting a USB turntable if you have absolutely no intention of ever using the USB part?

buzby

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on April 08, 2019, 08:07:45 PM
I like the SR222 and the 1st Dual although I'm not sure what the wire is next to the red jack plug on the latter. Which of those 2 would you recommend? Money aside, would they be better quality than a £250ish new turntable?
I'd go for the SR222, but just noticed it doesn't have a lid. In that case I'd go for the SR232 - it as basically an automatic version of the SR222, and a pretty decent budget turntable.

As Seb mentioned Marantz, there's also this Marantz 6170, which were a decent option in their day.

If a cheap DJ-style deck would fit the bill, I've got a nearly new Numark TT-1510 going spare, hardly used and still in all it's original packaging that you can have for around that price. PM me if you are interested.

(a sample photo - mine has still got the original headshell, cart and mat).

Dr Syntax Head

Just treated myself to a Marantz amp and a couple of Mordaunt Shorts after a year of listening to music through studio monitors. Bloody bliss. £200, bargainarooney.

I now have my eye on a Rega Planar 1 turntable because they look so damn nice. I've done some reading and seems they perform well. But if I'm honest my turntable knowledge is weak. Intending to spend about 200 to 300 notes on one so I reckon I'll get quality for that.