Author Topic: CaB Film Club #1 - Last Year At Marienbad  (Read 754 times)

Re: CaB Film Club #1 - Last Year At Marienbad
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2019, 07:09:40 PM »
I read another comment from the director last week which I can't find at the moment but was along the lines of "the events of the film could entirely have taken place in one minute" which for me only makes things more confusing.  I can't really work out what he was driving at with that, but it's interesting.

Perhaps the idea that the film is the representation of the creative process, lead character represents the writer shaping the world but also looking to shift the female lead to being self aware.

I do tend to think you see some influence beyond visuals on Kubricks Shining as well there is the link to Jacks character almost seeming to be writing his own story.

Small Man Big Horse

• Writers wanted for comedy website, pls click below
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2019, 07:41:15 PM »
I really enjoyed this which came as a surprise as ten minutes in I thought it was going to be a right old struggle, but the tone and atmosphere of it captivated me and it has a hypnotic feel, I can certainly buy in to the persuasion theory though what he's trying to persuade her to do is another question altogether. I loved the score as well, I can understand why some found it intrusive and annoying but it drew me in and created a sense of real dread and unease and so I think it did it's job well. I like the idea that you can have various interpretations without it definitely be one thing or the other too, it exists in a sense of flux which fits with the feel of the film. I do lean to the 'afterlife' idea myself but I'm open to others, and I noticed towards the end that when it comes to the woman's outfits at one point they have a white feathery almost angelic quality but then in the next scene she's wearing a seductive black dress, though again what that suggests is open to question.

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2019, 10:12:29 AM »
I really enjoyed this which came as a surprise as ten minutes in I thought it was going to be a right old struggle, but the tone and atmosphere of it captivated me and it has a hypnotic feel, I can certainly buy in to the persuasion theory though what he's trying to persuade her to do is another question altogether. I loved the score as well, I can understand why some found it intrusive and annoying but it drew me in and created a sense of real dread and unease and so I think it did it's job well. I like the idea that you can have various interpretations without it definitely be one thing or the other too, it exists in a sense of flux which fits with the feel of the film. I do lean to the 'afterlife' idea myself but I'm open to others, and I noticed towards the end that when it comes to the woman's outfits at one point they have a white feathery almost angelic quality but then in the next scene she's wearing a seductive black dress, though again what that suggests is open to question.

I remember feeling the same way originally watching it, the first 10 mins or so is rather dry and more inline with the films reputation but after that I do think there's a good deal of drama even if its nature is obviously rather obtuse.

The key scene to me seems to be the woman in term hotel room looking at various thngs within it such as the hairbrush, a shift away from her purely reacting to the mans actions towards showing some independence of thought.