Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:52:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Tick Two - Second Series of Amazon show

Started by robotam, April 07, 2019, 01:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robotam

Didn't realise this was starting back, but it was and it has and it's great fun.

Only seen the first episode and probably won't be able to watch anymore until next week which is annoying.

I thought the first season took a little while to get into the swing of things but I ended up watching it all a couple of times because the characters are so enjoyable.

DrGreggles

I am so surprised I like this, but I do.
I've flown through all the episodes.

Small Man Big Horse

I've just finished the second season, and spoilers are below:

I kind of liked it a lot but have a fair few issues with it, the first episode was strong but then it lost it's way for three or four episodes, the bottle episode where everyone was stuck on Dangerboat was especially bland. Then it stepped up a level and started becoming fun again, and episodes 6 - 9 were really enjoyable stuff which made me laugh a fair bit, but I feel a bit disappointed by the finale, it was just a bit too predictable and apart from the return to life for Rathbone there weren't any surprises (well, bar the final shot of the episode, admittedly). It's frustrating as I like the show a lot in general, and they've built up a great supporting cast, but it relied too much on Serafinowicz (who is masterful, without doubt) and didn't let any of the other members be that funny. And though John Hodgman made for a great villain they didn't give him enough to do, The Terror was fantastic last season and Hobbes paled in comparison. Still, I hope it is renewed and runs for a long old while as the concept is great and the writing mostly strong, I just wish it made me laugh a bit more often.

Phil_A

I thought it was a good season on the whole but the ending did seem very rushed, so things like Janet/Joan's heel turn didn't really mean very much, because she wasn't the bad guy's henchperson for any length of time, and the reveal of Hodgeman as the evil mastermind came too late to have any impact.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on April 21, 2019, 01:21:47 AM
I thought it was a good season on the whole but the ending did seem very rushed, so things like Janet/Joan's heel turn didn't really mean very much, because she wasn't the bad guy's henchperson for any length of time, and the reveal of Hodgeman as the evil mastermind came too late to have any impact.

I guessed it was going to be Hodgeman from the moment we saw him, partially as he's great at playing evil shites, but they didn't set it up so that it was likely to be anyone else either. Plus he clearly got off on torturing Lobstercules, so I can't imagine it was a shock to many.

Small Man Big Horse

And it's been cancelled, sadly. Ben Edlund says he wants to find a new home for it, but I'm not optimistic as that so rarely happens. https://news.avclub.com/amazons-the-tick-canceled-after-two-seasons-of-wacky-h-1834821410

Jumblegraws

Ah bollocks. I hope the cast at least get decent gigs off the back of this.

olliebean

I'd love Netflix to pick it up as a fuck-you to Amazon.

robotam

This is sad. Loved this season. Loved the show. Those superhero movies are popular as shit, why wasn't this?

I haven't seen or read any other Tick stuff. Are the comics / other tv shows good?

But yeah a new home would be great, but seems unlikely.

The original 12 or so comics by Ben Edlund are great; there are also dozens and dozens by other people, that are totally unnecessary.

(Edlund has developed and written on every TV iteration of The Tick, and kept a career as a TV writer in between - he hasn't done any comics since he was 25.)

robotam

That's really cool. I'll see if I can get the original comics. Thanks for the info.