Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Utterly trivial observations about comedy

Started by Twed, April 07, 2019, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: coinneach on October 02, 2019, 09:06:45 PM
unseen characters always seem to be women

Maris out of Frasier
'Er in doors in Minder
The mum who shouts from the other room in Big Bang Theory
Columbo's wife
Mrs Mainwaring

Zetetic

Erica (unless she appears in a later series of BoJack Horseman than I've watched).

Cuellar

Father Bigley
Bob Sacamano
er
some others surely help me out here

Mr Banlon

Sebastian Cobb

Maris out of Frasier
'Er in doors in Minder
Columbo's wife

Harry "I'll Do Anything For Half a Pint" Grundy
Ted "Unlucky Suicide" McGloomy

Jockice

Kerry's mum in This Country. Although you can hear her.

coinneach

Fernando Partridge

maybe they don't always seem to be women then

non capisco

Quote from: coinneach on October 02, 2019, 09:19:51 PM
Fernando Partridge

maybe they don't always seem to be women then

Denise Partridge, though.

Mr Banlon

Bad Ambassador

coinneach

alright how about this then -

unseen close family members of the main characters tend to be female and unseen acquaintances tend to be male

ajsmith2

Maris out of Frasier
'Er in doors in Minder
Columbo's wife

Mina from Still Game
(Not quite the same I guess as you do see her physically, just her face is always obscured until
Spoiler alert
[/b] the last episode).
[close]

ajsmith2

Quote from: coinneach on October 03, 2019, 08:08:01 AM
alright how about this then -

unseen close family members of the main characters tend to be female and unseen acquaintances tend to be male

Exception to the latter rule: Ethel Cardue from Bottom.

Sebastian Cobb

Do we know if Dr Wildthroat is a man or a woman?

BritishHobo

Vera, Norm's wife in Cheers. I've always assumed Maris in Frasier was their way of continuing that joke.

Icehaven

In the Friends episode where Ross gets a ridiculous tan from a mess up at the tanning salon, at the end just before he answers the door to Chandler, he's sitting on the sofa reading National Geographic, holding it up in front of his face, and there's a closeup of a black guy's face on the cover.

Icehaven

Quote from: ajsmith2 on October 03, 2019, 09:45:27 AM
Mina from Still Game
(Not quite the same I guess as you do see her physically, just her face is always obscured until
Spoiler alert
[/b] the last episode).
[close]
Same with Howard and Bernardette's kids in Big Bang Theory, you only hear them crying (which is actually an adult making weird sounding crying noises) until the last episode.

petril

at the end of one episode of The Day Today, Chris Morris does the paedophile clapping thing

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but it fits here

NoOffenceLynn

Maris out of Frasier
'Er in doors in Minder
Columbo's wife

Beverley Macca.

Jockice

Fucked that one up. You ain't seem me, right.

Icehaven

I know American houses are generally a lot bigger than in the UK, but a lot of large houses in American sitcoms apparently only have 2 or 3 bedrooms in order for there to be hilarious consequences when unlikely people have to share a room or someone is turfed out onto the couch when there's a guest etc.

Icehaven

In Young Sheldon most of the characters that also turn up in Big Bang Theory have consistent characters and appearances except Meemaw. In YS she's quite glamorous and a bit brassy, likes drinking, gambling and smoking etc., but in TBBT she's a far more stereotypical grandma. Of course she's supposed to be 20 years older but she's a completely different kind of person too.

Gulftastic

They must regret how they portrayed Meemaw in the BBS. I'm glad they pretty much ignored it and got the wonderful Annie Potts to play her.

I think they were lucky to not feature Georgie in the parent show first. I can only imagine the dreadful character we could have if we hadn't got the excellent younger version first.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 08, 2020, 06:55:16 PM
They must regret how they portrayed Meemaw in the BBS. I'm glad they pretty much ignored it and got the wonderful Annie Potts to play her.

I think they were lucky to not feature Georgie in the parent show first. I can only imagine the dreadful character we could have if we hadn't got the excellent younger version first.

The older version of Georgie was in a few episodes of TBBT, for Sheldon and Amy's wedding in series 11 and he briefly turned up again in series 12. His older self tallies well with the younger version though, he even runs a tyre business.

Edit: although series 11 aired at the same time as the first series of Young Sheldon so it was obviously written that way.

Gulftastic

Quote from: icehaven on September 08, 2020, 07:37:09 PM
The older version of Georgie was in a few episodes of TBBT, for Sheldon and Amy's wedding in series 11 and he briefly turned up again in series 12. His older self tallies well with the younger version though, he even runs a tyre business.

That's my point. Because of how he was shown in YS it informed the character when he appeared in TBBT. If we hadn't seen younger Georgie first, the older would have been terrible I'm sure.

Icehaven

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 08, 2020, 08:02:44 PM
That's my point. Because of how he was shown in YS it informed the character when he appeared in TBBT. If we hadn't seen younger Georgie first, the older would have been terrible I'm sure.

Oh I've edited my comment now as I realised they aired/were written at the same time.

Quote from: BritishHobo on June 10, 2019, 07:47:32 PM
In an episode of CITV sitcom My Parents Are Aliens, one of the parent aliens used a alien torture device to keep Josh, the naughtiest kid well-behaved, in a weird 1984 parody. She used this futuristic gadget to give him electric shocks when he misbehaved. It was an unexpected and kinda unpleasant story for a kid's comedy show, the creepiness of which was undermined quite a lot by the fact that the evil torture device was actually the exact same trackball computer mouse that my dad had bought a few weeks earlier and which me and my brothers had written off as shit and useless.
Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong wrote an episode of My Parents Have Aliens. Not seen it.

JaDanketies

Quote from: BritishHobo on October 04, 2019, 08:46:02 PM
Vera, Norm's wife in Cheers. I've always assumed Maris in Frasier was their way of continuing that joke.

they did it with Kenny Daley's wife too except for eventually we met her.

I read about Maris and they actually did intend to have someone play Maris but then they wrote themselves into a corner.

Icehaven

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 08, 2020, 08:30:54 PM

I read about Maris and they actually did intend to have someone play Maris but then they wrote themselves into a corner.

They must have settled in to her never being seen as they started having fun with it as the series progressed. The portrait they painted of her got so thin and grotesque nothing short of a half animated mop in a Halloween mask would have done her justice.

BritishHobo

Yeah, I always think of the Vera and Maris jokes as being the same, but I forget that with Vera her physical appearance isn't a factor at all, the whole impossible description element isn't part of the joke. Plus weirdly in that Cheers Thanksgiving episode where they have the food fight, you fully see her. They set the gag up as if, because she's got food on her face, the 'never seeing Vera' running joke still stands. But it DOESN'T. You see her. Just a normal woman stood there, in a coat. Sorry, Cheers.