Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Utterly trivial observations about comedy

Started by Twed, April 07, 2019, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Bob Monkhouse, Clive Dunn, Peter Butterworth and Hattie Jacques were once in a movie called "She'll Have To Go", in 1962, alongside...Anna Karina, muse of Jean-Luc Godard and perfect lady. It's like Ingrid Bergman popping up as the love interest in "Carry On Nurse".

Icehaven

I was thinking the other day about how none of the 4 main characters in Seinfeld seem to have any siblings, but then I was watching an episode from series 3 yesterday and George mentions his brother. I've only seen it through once so I might be wrong but other than that I don't think there's any other reference to any of them having siblings is there?

Quote from: icehaven on November 21, 2020, 05:01:35 AM
I was thinking the other day about how none of the 4 main characters in Seinfeld seem to have any siblings, but then I was watching an episode from series 3 yesterday and George mentions his brother. I've only seen it through once so I might be wrong but other than that I don't think there's any other reference to any of them having siblings is there?

Jerry makes a reference to his sister in the Chinese restaurant episode and is then never brought up again for the entire run.

markburgle

Quote from: icehaven on September 08, 2020, 05:44:01 PM
In Young Sheldon most of the characters that also turn up in Big Bang Theory have consistent characters and appearances except Meemaw. In YS she's quite glamorous and a bit brassy, likes drinking, gambling and smoking etc., but in TBBT she's a far more stereotypical grandma. Of course she's supposed to be 20 years older but she's a completely different kind of person too.

Isn't the dad inconsistent too? I thought BBT hinted that he was a worse dad, a womaniser etc

Gulftastic

I think they'll write around the father by saying it is Sheldon being angry and misrembering what happened.

But yes on Meemaw. They got lucky with Young Georgie being seen before the Older version.

Icehaven

I dunno how many more series of Young Sheldon they have planned but given he's 11 in the new series and his dad dies when he's 14 (and the younger actors are all growing up faster than their characters too) I wonder if they're intending to end it before that happens.

Tikwid

The sound when Hannibal Buress flops down on the couch every intro in The Eric Andre Show is the same sound as Lara Croft doing a forward roll in Tomb Raider 3. FACT ME SOMETHING MORE TRIVIAL I DARE YOU

Solid Jim

The Alan Partridge interview with Richard Bacon in 2011 features the following exchange:

Quote from: Radio 5 Live
RB: What do you do to keep yourself, Alan, in good spirits?

AP: Generally I will go for a long drive, er, through the Norfolk Broads, er, and, er, sing along to The Very Best... Generally I will go for a long drive, and sing along to The Very Very Best of Tears For Fears.

RB: Is that their greatest hits album?

AP: No, that... no, that was called The Very Best of Tears For Fears, but I didn't like the way, er... No, that was called the Very Best of Tears For Fears, but I didn't like The Way You Are or Woman In Chains, so I've taped it onto a C-90 minus these two tracks, and renamed it The Very Very Best of Tears For Fears.

During both replies, the sentence is started again in a rather unnatural fashion. Since the interview was pre-recorded, I assume Steve Coogan wasn't happy with his original delivery of each line (only saying one 'very' and getting the emphasis wrong on the song title) and started again, intending for the first attempts to be removed in the edit. Which didn't happen, for whatever reason.

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Solid Jim on November 22, 2020, 01:12:40 AM
During both replies, the sentence is started again in a rather unnatural fashion. Since the interview was pre-recorded, I assume Steve Coogan wasn't happy with his original delivery of each line (only saying one 'very' and getting the emphasis wrong on the song title) and started again, intending for the first attempts to be removed in the edit. Which didn't happen, for whatever reason.

Vague memory of that happening in one of the audio books, but it could have been a deliberate joke of course.

The finale episode of Sister, Sister ends with Roger singing In My Life at Lisa's wedding. I just finished a rewatch on Netflix and they replaced it with a generic instrumental. Not only does it take away from the climax of the whole series, it means that they had to cut Roger out of the whole scene. So one of the most important people in Lisa and her family's life doesn't bother his arse showing up for her big day? Turns the whole thing to BULLSHIT.

Icehaven

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on November 22, 2020, 04:17:25 AM
The finale episode of Sister, Sister ends with Roger singing In My Life at Lisa's wedding. I just finished a rewatch on Netflix and they replaced it with a generic instrumental. Not only does it take away from the climax of the whole series, it means that they had to cut Roger out of the whole scene. So one of the most important people in Lisa and her family's life doesn't bother his arse showing up for her big day? Turns the whole thing to BULLSHIT.

Is that something to do with Netflix not having the rights to the music? I realised a similar thing when I watched Limmy's Show and there's a sketch where in the original he used Pet Shop Boys' 'In The Night' but on Netflix it was replaced with Limmy's theme tune. I hadn't seen the original before so I didn't know it had been changed until someone told me on here.

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Is that something to do with Netflix not having the rights to the music? I realised a similar thing when I watched Limmy's Show and there's a sketch where in the original he used Pet Shop Boys' 'In The Night' but on Netflix it was replaced with Limmy's theme tune. I hadn't seen the original before so I didn't know it had been changed until someone told me on here.

I'm sure it is and I don't mind it so much when it's background music (although it's jarring to watch something you've seen a hundred times with a different song, like the Falconhoof sketches or Fly Me To The Moon being cut from Netflix's Evangelion) but when the song is important to the scene, it just can't be substituted without reducing the quality of the viewers' experience. Maybe a bad example but imagine if the Netflix version of Wayne's World blurred out all the logos in the "product placement" scene for copyright reasons, completely ruining the joke. At least piracy can preserve the original versions (usually in 320p, but better than nothing).

Icehaven

Quote from: Carpool Dragon on November 22, 2020, 01:52:20 PM
like the Falconhoof sketches...

Wait what? Is this another Netflix slippery digit? What's the original music?

non capisco

It was Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre on the BBC Scotland broadcasts, which worked perfectly. I haven't seen Limmy's Show on Netflix, didn't even know it was on there! What do they use as the background music for the Falconhoof sketches? I've rewatched the originals so many times I think it would be...oh god I'm going to type this...Jarre-ing to hear anything else.

Yeah, alright, I'm going.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Astronaut Omens on September 08, 2020, 08:22:32 PM
Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong wrote an episode of My Parents Have Aliens. Not seen it.

Chuck Lore was one of the people behind Heathcliff the cat. Some of his finest work imo.

Icehaven

Quote from: non capisco on November 22, 2020, 03:02:47 PM
It was Oxygene by Jean Michel Jarre on the BBC Scotland broadcasts, which worked perfectly. I haven't seen Limmy's Show on Netflix, didn't even know it was on there! What do they use as the background music for the Falconhoof sketches? I've rewatched the originals so many times I think it would be...oh god I'm going to type this...Jarre-ing to hear anything else.

Yeah, alright, I'm going.

Just tried to check but it's gone from Netflix now, which is rubbish. Listening to Oxygene I don't think it was that, similar but not the same. Can't remember though tbh.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 22, 2020, 03:04:49 PM
Chuck Lore was one of the people behind Heathcliff the cat. Some of his finest work imo.

He also wrote the theme song to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: icehaven on November 21, 2020, 09:03:27 PM
I dunno how many more series of Young Sheldon they have planned but given he's 11 in the new series and his dad dies when he's 14 (and the younger actors are all growing up faster than their characters too) I wonder if they're intending to end it before that happens.

I'm thinking they'll carry on until he suddenly grows a lot between seasons, like what happened with the kid in Outnumbered.

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2020, 08:21:23 AM
Is that something to do with Netflix not having the rights to the music?

Presumably.  Years ago I bought a DVD of National Lampoons Animal House and was disappointed to discover they'd replaced most of the music, so things like the food fight are accompanied by a different song and it totally ruins it.  Even the songs sung by Curtis Day & The Knights seem off somehow, as if maybe the music has been re-recorded..

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 23, 2020, 01:47:47 PM
Years ago I bought a DVD of National Lampoons Animal House and was disappointed to discover they'd replaced most of the music, so things like the food fight are accompanied by a different song and it totally ruins it.  Even the songs sung by Curtis Day & The Knights seem off somehow, as if maybe the music has been re-recorded..

I heard Stephen Bishop say on a podcast that John Landis wanted him to choose a public domain song for his scene - could have been to save money, but it might have been because he didn't want any rights problems in the future. (He was 'Charming Guy with Guitar' singing "I Gave My Love a Cherry" on the stairs before Belushi puts a stop to it - obviously they couldn't have replaced that with another song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V_hCqO6UQs )

kalowski

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 23, 2020, 01:47:47 PM
Presumably.  Years ago I bought a DVD of National Lampoons Animal House and was disappointed to discover they'd replaced most of the music, so things like the food fight are accompanied by a different song and it totally ruins it.  Even the songs sung by Curtis Day & The Knights seem off somehow, as if maybe the music has been re-recorded..
Fucking hell, that's depressing. Surely Louie Louie is still in it?

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: kalowski on November 23, 2020, 07:37:57 PM
Fucking hell, that's depressing. Surely Louie Louie is still in it?

I can't remember, but I assume it's still in because they didn't seem to cut any of the visuals, and they sing along to it so they'd have had to keep it, but anything that's merely background music like "Hey baby don't you wanna dance" from the food fight gets replaced by something inappropriate that ruins it.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 20, 2020, 07:17:26 PM
alongside...Anna Karina, muse of Jean-Luc Godard and perfect lady.

My brain went to Olive from On The Buses before remembering that Anna Karina isn't the same person as Anna Karen.

Icehaven

This isn't really on topic but there's nowhere else to put it so; I've seen a few minutes of Scrubs here and there recently as it's on between things I watch regularly (I haven't seen since it was originally on and even then I think I only saw the first few series as a housemate at uni liked it), and it's surprisingly sexist and nasty, even for 15ish years ago. I'm probably seeing through 2020 eyes a bit here but I'd remembered it as fairly mild, lighthearted comedy with characters that have flaws but that you're fundamentally supposed to like and root for, and maybe it was just a bad combination of bits that I saw but it was pretty unpleasant. I didn't realise 2005 was quite so long ago.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: icehaven on November 26, 2020, 01:15:33 PM
This isn't really on topic but there's nowhere else to put it so; I've seen a few minutes of Scrubs here and there recently as it's on between things I watch regularly (I haven't seen since it was originally on and even then I think I only saw the first few series as a housemate at uni liked it), and it's surprisingly sexist and nasty, even for 15ish years ago. I'm probably seeing through 2020 eyes a bit here but I'd remembered it as fairly mild, lighthearted comedy with characters that have flaws but that you're fundamentally supposed to like and root for, and maybe it was just a bad combination of bits that I saw but it was pretty unpleasant. I didn't realise 2005 was quite so long ago.
I think you're right. At least one character from "Scrubs" always shows up in threads with titles like "fictional characters you're supposed to like, but don't".

Icehaven

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 26, 2020, 05:08:25 PM
I think you're right. At least one character from "Scrubs" always shows up in threads with titles like "fictional characters you're supposed to like, but don't".

There was a bit where the 'hero' JD sees an attractive woman walking towards him and he pervs over her breasts, but when she walks past him he turns to look at her bum and grimaces, obviously not impressed. I was expecting some kind of admonishing comeback like a female character noticing and giving him a slap, or something falling on his head or something but nope, it just passed, that's fine in Scrubs world. It was framed as if you were supposed to agree with him.

BritishHobo

It did have an odd tonal inconsistency. You've got JD who's supposed to be this nerdy, effeminate doofus, and then they do things like the episode where he fucks Amy Smart at her husband's funeral, and she's really really loud, so all the grieving relatives hear her cum. Proper jarring blokey weirdness.

Icehaven

There's another episode where the plot is that seeing Elliot's breasts makes things better, so she goes around lifting her top up at various patients including a boy who really does look about 10. I'm not even going to bother saying "imagine if the genders were the other way around" because it's dodgy enough as it is.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Glebe on June 02, 2019, 12:04:48 PM
Just posting about June dressing up as a punk in Terry and June episode 'Age Before Beauty' in the TaJ thread... Mrs. Slocombe and Mr. Humphries also did that in this episode of Are You Being Served?... then there's that The Goodies episode, 'Punky Business' (thanks, Google)... any other old sitcoms with stuffy old characters going punk rock?

Keep It In The Family - the "Anna Key" episode

Glebe

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 27, 2020, 10:05:19 PMKeep It In The Family - the "Anna Key" episode

Not familiar with that, must have a gander if it's on YouTube or that.

popcorn

My main memory of Scrubs is that whenever it was on TV I was disappointed it wasn't Malcolm in the Middle instead.