Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:31:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Utterly trivial observations about comedy

Started by Twed, April 07, 2019, 08:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petril

Quote from: popcorn on November 27, 2020, 11:21:56 PM
My main memory of Scrubs is that whenever it was on TV I was disappointed it wasn't Malcolm in the Middle instead.

backwards X-Rays got nothing on Bret Hart and Chris Benoit

magval

Madhair's recent strips reminded me of a doozy.

Norm Macdonald plays a repentant former high school bully who reverts to bastardry given the chance in adult life in two sitcom guest appearances - The Drew Carey Show and My Name Is Earl.

That's trivial enough, but here where the doozification enters the situation - in both episodes, there's a visual gag where someone is walking along in front of a cleaner, discarding things behind them while the cleaner scrambles to pick it up.

Heck of a coincidence that.

markburgle

That Big Train World Stare Out sketch that ends with the commentator laughing for a really long time - it's seems not to be either commentator laughing but actually the voice of Simon Pegg, suggesting they came up with the idea after the commentator voice actors had gone home (one of them was a real commentator who maybe couldn't have pulled off this kind of sustained deadpan comedic delivery, but I'm sure Phil Cornwell who played the other one could've done it).

sprocket

Quote from: markburgle on November 28, 2020, 10:52:38 AM
That Big Train World Stare Out sketch that ends with the commentator laughing for a really long time - it's seems not to be either commentator laughing but actually the voice of Simon Pegg, suggesting they came up with the idea after the commentator voice actors had gone home (one of them was a real commentator who maybe couldn't have pulled off this kind of sustained deadpan comedic delivery, but I'm sure Phil Cornwell who played the other one could've done it).

https://youtu.be/X_6vjAliLhw?t=78

Barry Davies comes back in a few times during the laughter, his comic timing always seemed pretty good to me in the Stare Outs.

the

I have to say I can't hear the audio evidence that there's any Simon Pegg in there.

Might be obvious to some, but I believe this is based on this cricket commentary incident.

petril

yeah stareout was Barry Davies and Phil Cornwell. Davies got an additional material credit as well

kalowski

Quote from: sprocket on November 28, 2020, 04:02:42 PM
https://youtu.be/X_6vjAliLhw?t=78

Barry Davies comes back in a few times during the laughter, his comic timing always seemed pretty good to me in the Stare Outs.
So, so good. Even better than I remembered.

markburgle

Quote from: the on November 28, 2020, 07:07:46 PM
I have to say I can't hear the audio evidence that there's any Simon Pegg in there.

Might be obvious to some, but I believe this is based on this cricket commentary incident.

I didn't mean that one, I meant this un:

https://youtu.be/DkI85Kt10e4?t=680

the

That's just Phil Cornwell doing the protracted repetitive laughing.

Utter Shit

The storyline in the Only Fools and Horses episode "The Longest Night" makes no sense, because the entire scheme of the supermarket manager, security guard and Lennox Gilbey relies on none of the Trotters having kept the receipt that would have proved their innocence.

Glebe

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 29, 2020, 04:23:44 PMThe storyline in the Only Fools and Horses episode "The Longest Night" makes no sense, because the entire scheme of the supermarket manager, security guard and Lennox Gilbey relies on none of the Trotters having kept the receipt that would have proved their innocence.

I suppose EastEnders bloke security guard would have just come up with something and rather fortuitously they lost the receipt. I dunno.

An tSaoi

Maybe they were never given a receipt, and that could be part of the scam.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 30, 2020, 09:16:06 PM
Maybe they were never given a receipt, and that could be part of the scam.
Bloody hell, long time no see! Unless you've just accidentally logged into your old account, or I haven't been paying attention, or something.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Carol Cleveland is credited on the very first episode of the first series of " Monty Pythons Flying Circus", but is not actually in the episode; in fact, no ladies of the female persuasion appear in that particular show ( The one with Italians learning Italian, and the funniest joke in the world, and all that).

Hand Solo

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 29, 2020, 04:23:44 PM
The storyline in the Only Fools and Horses episode "The Longest Night" makes no sense, because the entire scheme of the supermarket manager, security guard and Lennox Gilbey relies on none of the Trotters having kept the receipt that would have proved their innocence.

If they'd have produced said receipt they could have easily burnt/disposed it when the Trotters presented it, seeing as they didn't know the whole thing was a scam. It's more the store owner/security guard and Sha-a-dow choose to scrap their plan even though they all desperately need the money and give away £1000 just on the Trotters' say so.

the

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on December 01, 2020, 07:07:53 AMCarol Cleveland is credited on the very first episode of the first series of " Monty Pythons Flying Circus", but is not actually in the episode; in fact, no ladies of the female persuasion appear in that particular show ( The one with Italians learning Italian, and the funniest joke in the world, and all that).

This might be a wrong vague memory, but I think in the first episode there's a sketch with CC that didn't make the final edit, but her name remained on the credits. I could check in the viewing notes but I can't be arsed to dig it out.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Glebe on June 02, 2019, 12:04:48 PM
Just posting about June dressing up as a punk in Terry and June episode 'Age Before Beauty' in the TaJ thread... Mrs. Slocombe and Mr. Humphries also did that in this episode of Are You Being Served?... then there's that The Goodies episode, 'Punky Business' (thanks, Google)... any other old sitcoms with stuffy old characters going punk rock?

Not a sitcom, but here's Mike Yarwood doing Denis Healey as a - gasp! - punk-rocker in his 1977 Christmas show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKk74GfboE&t=21m21s

Macca 'Paul' McCartney is acting alongside him, showing off his comedy chops, along with Linda and Denny.

Glebe

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 07, 2020, 02:15:00 PMNot a sitcom, but here's Mike Yarwood doing Denis Healey as a - gasp! - punk-rocker in his 1977 Christmas show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKk74GfboE&t=21m21s

Macca 'Paul' McCartney is acting alongside him, showing off his comedy chops, along with Linda and Denny.

Haha, crikey!

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: Glebe on December 07, 2020, 05:01:21 PM
Haha, crikey!

And after all that, the funniest part was Denny Laine coming in and saying 'Hello Mike!'

magval

Homer Simpson is disappointed to receive ownership of the Denver Broncos as a gift from Hank Scorpio in You Only Lose Twice, as they hadn't fared well in football for a long time. In real life, the team won the two Superbowls following the broadcast of that episode, ending the losing streak and becoming a major something or other in the field of... sports.

So just to confirm, the joke wasn't that Homer was given a GREAT team and just didn't realise it, even though it might have looked that way in the late 1990s, rather a case of fate conspiring with timing to make the writers of the episode look like, at the very least, like they knew nothing about football.

Homer should be as well off as Alan Partridge would have been after the makers of the massively successful Doctor Who should have had to pay him for use of K9 after its revival in 2005 or so.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 07, 2020, 02:15:00 PM

I only just saw this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGtVJbi5Rn8

Amazing stuff.

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on December 10, 2020, 01:25:28 PM
I only just saw this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGtVJbi5Rn8

Amazing stuff.

It's nice when Paul gets a big laugh. It's usually the others. And, to be fair, he looks made up with that one!

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 07, 2020, 02:15:00 PM
Not a sitcom, but here's Mike Yarwood doing Denis Healey as a - gasp! - punk-rocker in his 1977 Christmas show https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCKk74GfboE&t=21m21s

Erm....is Linda ok?

Menu

I dunno. I mean she's not a trained actress so I shouldn't judge, but she seems comatose.

Menu

Actually she was better just now when I watched it again. Big soz, Linda! I still don't think she troubled the BAFTA noms that year, mind.

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 07, 2020, 06:42:15 PM
And after all that, the funniest part was Denny Laine coming in and saying 'Hello Mike!'

Agree with this. I wonder if it was an adlib? It was very Lennon-y actually.

Twonty Gostelow

I thought of Lennon at the time too!

Linda was certainly a bit underpowered there, but I think that's just her being natural. Her personality seemed pretty unaffected generally, like she wasn't interested in impressing anyone that much.

Menu

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on December 11, 2020, 01:02:44 AM
I thought of Lennon at the time too!

Linda was certainly a bit underpowered there, but I think that's just her being natural. Her personality seemed pretty unaffected generally, like she wasn't interested in impressing anyone that much.

Yes you're totally right. I mis-read it the first time.

Cerys