Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 10:31:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bloody Mary - the drink

Started by king_tubby, April 07, 2019, 09:14:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_tubby

I had a Bloody Mary - the drink yesterday when I was in town. It was bloody nice. I would now like to create the experience in my own home, considerably cheaper.

So I am asking you, the sophisticated denizens of CaB, the internet's premier Chris Morris and Peter Cook fansite, how YOU would construct a Bloody Mary - the drink.

BlodwynPig

tomato juice, tabasco, salt, celery stick and vodka

close thread

king_tubby

Re-open thread because, you fool, you haven't even put any Henderson's in it.

Christ alive, man.

Paul Calf

Fucking love them.

Tomato juice - as much as you want to drink. For a double vodka (50ml) you'd want about 250ml of tomato juice.
About a third dry sherry
Decent vodka
Celery salt

Shake with ice and strain into a tall glass.

Squeeze of lemon, salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce  and  Tabasco to taste

king_tubby

Now this is more like it.

Sherry!

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The booze yes, the spice, I guess yes, but what's the appeal of consuming so much tomato juice?

canadagoose

The slightly-fancy pub along the road puts Buckfast in theirs. It's surprisingly good.

I'd generally go for tomato juice, vodka, salt, pepper, tabasco (quite a bit of it), Worcester sauce, and maybe some of that Maggi seasoning just to be extravagant.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 07, 2019, 09:25:03 PM
The booze yes, the spice, I guess yes, but what's the appeal of consuming so much tomato juice?
I actually like drinking it. It's probably the salt.

Brian Freeze

A great airplane journey drink. Get off healthier than you got on.

Chopped coriander is great if you like the taste. And green bits in your teeth.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: king_tubby on April 07, 2019, 09:24:23 PM
Now this is more like it.

Sherry!

ok,

TIN OF FUCKING TOMATOES
LIQUID PARAFFIN
HERBS FROM CAT PISS GARDEN
TINCTURE OF VODKA
BUNCH OF CELERY
DEVIL'S SHIT CHILI SAUCE
BITTER MELON

close thread

king_tubby

Still no Henderson's.

Begone, sir. Or madam. Or any combination of the both.

canadagoose

Forgot the celery. It's not the same without some celery to eat alongside it.

Quote from: king_tubby on April 07, 2019, 09:37:29 PM
Still no Henderson's.

Begone, sir. Or madam. Or any combination of the both.

What the bloody hell is Henderson's?

king_tubby

https://www.hendersonsrelish.com/

No anchovies, so ok for yer flesh avoiding pals. Also YORKSHIRE.

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 07, 2019, 09:20:22 PM
Fucking love them.

Tomato juice - as much as you want to drink. For a double vodka (50ml) you'd want about 250ml of tomato juice.
About a third dry sherry
Decent vodka
Celery salt

Squeeze of lemon, salt, black pepper, Worcestershire sauce  and  Tabasco to taste

I think Celery salt is the key to a good un.  For some reason i've just recently taken to this drink.  Had a great example of one at Tom Kitchen's restaurant. 

Urinal Cake

Soup for alcoholics

pancreas

umami in tomatoes

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: pancreas on April 07, 2019, 11:41:41 PM
umami in tomatoes

Also good for prostate health because of the lycopene.

That's not sexist, women have Cherry B.

H-O-W-L

One fist, inserted lengthways.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 07, 2019, 09:20:22 PM
Fucking love them.

About a third dry sherry
Decent vodka
Celery salt

Shake? Fucking shake? What was I thinking? I wasn't even pissed when I wrote this.

The tomato juice should be chilled and poured over large ice cubes. Shaking it will dilute the tomato juice and wreck its viscosity.

I offer my apologies.

Icehaven

I love booze, and I love tomato based soups and sauces, but never the twain. I've tried a BM a few times and couldn't get past the first sip, and I can usually stomach anything where alcohol is involved. It's partly the cognitive dissonance involved in drinking something savoury, so maybe I should try a spoon.

I do a variant where I replace the tomato juice with water from a puddle.

I sometimes replace the tomato juice with oxtail soup. It's very unpleasant and I wouldn't recommend it under any circumstances.

seepage

Thursday

You get drunk and have a healthy gazpacho soup at the same time.

Garam

I sometimes put 10ml or so of Laphroaig on top as a capper. Give it a minute or so to let it trickle down and permeate. Garnish with a small pickle. Use about a third less of lea and perrins as tabasco.

Instant hangover deflector. Only issue is it gets the next night rolling along then whoops alcoholic.

NoSleep

Blues legend, Freddie King, lived on them (and died age 42).

QuoteAccording to those who knew him, King's untimely death was due to stress, a legendary "hard-partying lifestyle", and poor diet (he was in the habit of consuming Bloody Marys rather than solid food so as not to waste time when setting up shows).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_King#Death

Freddie King - Going Down

idunnosomename

Q: do you eat the celery or is that a bit odd.

Thursday

Well what else are you going to do with celery?!?!?!

NoSleep