Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:34:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

AV Receiver wanted with specific requirements

Started by Twed, April 07, 2019, 09:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Does anybody know of an HDMI receiver that will:

• Automatically switch inputs (i.e. I turn my Nintendo Switch on and it knows to switch on that input)
  • Adjust its own volume via CEC codes from one active device, so I only need to use one remote
  • Has regular speaker outputs

Does that exist? Do they all do it? I don't really know what AV receivers are and I'm just making assumptions TBH.

Sebastian Cobb

I'd expect most of them to do that. I wouldn't expect volume/gain to be something the input device should do though. It should be at the digital equivalent of 'line level' so gain should be controlled at the receiver itself.

When you say 'receiver' do you want surround sound or a 2 channel setup? I've got all of your functionality with a £10 optical dac stuck in the back of my telly connected to a stereo amp.

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 07, 2019, 11:02:04 PM
I'd expect most of them to do that. I wouldn't expect volume/gain to be something the input device should do though. It should be at the digital equivalent of 'line level' so gain should be controlled at the receiver itself.
The receiver would handle the volume levels. CEC codes sent via the input device control that level. That's a normal setup.

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 07, 2019, 11:02:04 PMWhen you say 'receiver' do you want surround sound or a 2 channel setup? I've got all of your functionality with a £10 optical dac stuck in the back of my telly connected to a stereo amp.
That's my current setup. Optical is no good; it carries a fixed-level signal and can't forward the "volume up/down" instructions.

Sebastian Cobb

This isn't helpful, but it seems laughable to buy a new amplifier simply because you can't be bothered changing volume on it either via remote or getting up off of your arse.

I do have an amp and pre setup that was built in the 60's though.

Twed