Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 19/This Is Snooker

Started by Blue Jam, April 08, 2019, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 17, 2019, 08:43:39 PM
Its not that long but it's in here https://youtu.be/eN8egXv90Zw

Cheers Biggy. Hopefully I can deliver my verdict tomorrow...

Twed

Blue Jam

Cheers Twed. Your copy arrived yet?

Twed

I'm going to get the digital version on Switch. Doesn't seem to be on the US store yet. Maybe it never will be. If I have to switch regions then I'm just not going to bother.

Blue Jam

First thoughts:

This is fun. Without the aim assist it's bastard hard- just like real snooker. It seems you really need to take some time to git gud with this game- again, just like real snooker. Until then, playing with the medium difficulty assist feels a bit less like flailing about, without feeling like cheating.

I like the controls. I like being able to move the camera right down to "eye level" with the balls so you can judge the shot, and I like the action of cueing with the right stick. I also like the way the AI positions the cue for the obvious next shot so you don't have to keep moving it all the way round the table- a nice frustration-reducing feature there.

The commentary is a bit generic and repetitive but I suppose that was to be expected.

The player models all have the same body (so some of them are too thin) but different heads. They all do the same sort of standing-to-attention move after taking a shot. Luca Brecel's has no hand tattoos. Robbo's has a good nervous blink but Ding's doesn't have the eyelid twitch.

I think this will be most fun as a local two-player game. I don't dare give the online mode a go without a bit more practice first.

Junglist

I've just bought this, going straight into an online match let's go!

Twed

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2019, 07:19:14 PM
First thoughts:

This is fun. Without the aim assist it's bastard hard- just like real snooker. It seems you really need to take some time to git gud with this game- again, just like real snooker. Until then, playing with the medium difficulty assist feels a bit less like flailing about, without feeling like cheating.
Does it have any kind of exhibition/tournament/story mode? i.e. is there a goal, or is it just snookering about?

Junglist

Ding loses his first online match 65-21 and consoles himself with a nicely microwaved steak pie and a cry in the dressing room.

Blue Jam

Quite a soothing game this, isn't it? I've been pleasantly surprised by it so far.

Blue Jam

Blue Jam

Quote from: Twed on April 18, 2019, 08:37:24 PM
Does it have any kind of exhibition/tournament/story mode? i.e. is there a goal, or is it just snookering about?

There is a Career Mode and you can do tournaments, yes. For now though I'm just try to git gud...

Junglist

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 18, 2019, 10:40:13 PM
Quite a soothing game this, isn't it? I've been pleasantly surprised by it so far.

Yes its lovely. Rock fucking hard too, like the real game. I played three online matches in the end and lost all 3, but the third was lost by two points.

biggytitbo

Can you repeatedly fail to qualify for the world championship as Jimmy white in this?

Blue Jam

Why is everyone I play at this online brilliant? Where are all the n00bs like me?

madhair60

Does the cue ball stick its tongue out at you in this

Blue Jam

Just introduced Mr Jam to this. It's great as a local two-player game. Just been playing as Martin Gould and doing my own commentary. Weirdly, that was the only time I got absolutely murdered.

Blue Jam

Online mode seems to have changed from a Snooker Shootout format with a 20 minute maximum match length and a 30 second shot timer, to a 90 minute maximum length (!) with a two minute shot timer. It actually works better because you have time to think about positional and safety play, it's more fun and I haven't seen anyone rage quit yet. Matches still take about 20-30 minutes and that suits me, and it seems to suit every random I've played online. Clearly this is a game for proper snooker nerds.

Anyone else? This has replaced Rocket League in our house. No timers for the local multiplayer, we've had some good long safety play battles.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 06, 2019, 11:25:00 PM
Just been playing as Martin Gould and doing my own commentary.

Hahahaha

Can you really play as Martin Gould?

Blue Jam

The latest update has some new commentary passive-aggressively telling you to stop being so Peter Ebdon if you take your time over shots, plus someone's phone ringing and the ref telling them off. Good to raise awareness of both things among players and fans.

bgmnts

Can you play as John Higgins and press X to match-fix?

Blue Jam

Perhaps. I think Baw-Run Bingham here was just too polite to try:

https://youtu.be/yoDqCNUT8rQ

The Culture Bunker

I was put off Snooker '19 by the lack of a career mode involving your own custom avatar. I did buy that Snooker Nation Championship '19 a few months back for a fiver - get what you pay for in a lack of a decent career option and such a tiny player base that nobody is ever around to play online with.

Is that This is Snooker set for release anytime soon?

Puce Moment

It's £30 on Steam and I think I'm going in lads.

Is there a function/server mode where we can play each other? Would love to get a flukey snooker behind the green against Biggy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 31, 2019, 11:53:25 PM
Perhaps. I think Baw-Run Bingham here was just too polite to try:

https://youtu.be/yoDqCNUT8rQ

Why does John Higgins look like a gurning Stan Laurel rather than a fat despicable balding cunt with a sheen of drool on his chin?

biggytitbo

Quote from: Puce Moment on August 10, 2019, 02:38:11 PM
It's £30 on Steam and I think I'm going in lads.

Is there a function/server mode where we can play each other? Would love to get a flukey snooker behind the green against Biggy.

I bet you would!

Really enjoy the DLC mini game for this where you have to manovre Martin Gould through a 24hr B&Q buying plastic sheeting, a circular saw and industrial bleach without getting caught on the CCTV.

Blue Jam

Seriously, I'm BrawDug on Xbox Live, add me

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Blue Jam

Martin Gould Solid V: The Phantom Prostitute