Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:40:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Snooker 19/This Is Snooker

Started by Blue Jam, April 08, 2019, 02:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

I bet Gouldyballs loves a bit of GTA doesn't he

buttgammon

A bit late to this (sorry for the bump) but I recently got this as an impulse buy and I'm obsessed. What other game features so many likenesses of balding, pallid, vitamin-deficient men who look like sex offenders? It's incredible. The lower ranked players look like bad photofits of a paedophile ring, with the odd serial killer and people trafficker thrown in for good measure.

It's also a lot of fun to play, and I'm enjoying trying to improve my positional play. There seems to be the sort of learning curve that can give this some real mileage - I'm about to dip my toe into career mode but I'm still too scared to play online for the time being.

NJ Uncut

I'm really good at this since I wrote down what percentages to use for certain shots

I always do a shitty little break where the white glances a red on the corner, put maximum topspin and go for about 25% and see where that gets you!

I'm a 55 percent one cushion glancer.

Might write that into one of those raps songs they do now.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The stance the players revert to after every single shot is annoying as fuck though. Very outdated.

They should cut to one of them unscrewing some complimentary mineral water or pointlessly faffing with a flannel. Or someone in the audience smugly guffawing to a Virgo quipperoony

buttgammon

Quote from: NJ Uncut on October 03, 2019, 06:37:43 PM
I'm really good at this since I wrote down what percentages to use for certain shots

I always do a shitty little break where the white glances a red on the corner, put maximum topspin and go for about 25% and see where that gets you!

I'm awful at breaks - thanks for the tip!

Blue Jam

This is my GOTY so far, seriously. It looks cheap, it looks ugly (though you can't blame the developers for the players' mugs) and it's not original, but it is the one I've spent the most time on and the one I've enjoyed the most playing randoms online, and I'm generally more of a campaign/solo player.

This may be because 2019 has been a pretty woeful year for games, but fuck it, this one manages to be addictive and also strangely relaxing. I hope the lobby stays relatively busy for a good long time now, or we get a Snooker 20 next year.

buttgammon

Couldn't sleep last night so decided to play a couple of frames as Peter Ebdon and mirrored the man's slow, attritional style. It only bloody worked!

NJ Uncut

I'm ranked fifth in campaign as James Cahill

Half the time I don't even bother adjusting the power, just the top or back spin to control where it goes. 50% = table length

Hate when the player takes a shot and stands at bottom of table blocking the action though. Fuck off out the way

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteHate when the player takes a shot and stands at bottom of table blocking the action though. Fuck off out the way

Aye, basic errors which would be ironed out given enough resources. Sort of thing you'd get in turn of the noughties pc sports titles.

Football games are the fucking space race and virtually all other non US sports have to put up with the equivalent resources of a Welsh renewable energy company powered by and owned by someone called Dung.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on October 04, 2019, 01:05:55 PM
someone called Dung

Is that what Junhui is called on the snooker game that didn't shell out for the licenses?

NJ Uncut

Sony's stupid newsletter has big upped (or is it "bigged up"?) my Snooker 19 trophy haul!

Blue Jam

I am crap at Career Mode in this (playing as James Cahill like every other fucker). Real humans online are more fun than a boringly accurate robotic AI, but that's enough about Mark Selby.

buttgammon

I'm playing as some scared-looking Chinese teenager (Fan something I think) and finding it a bit of a slog, although I did beat Ding Junhui yesterday. Finally getting to grips with safety play, which helped against Ding; I really did play some cracking snookers.

The venue names (all real, of course) are hilarious, straight out of that H.S. Art thread.

Blue Jam

For extra authenticity, the latest update has added a few Legend Garys in the audience shouting "GWAAAAAARN RONNIIIEEEEUUURRGGGGHHH"

Blue Jam

...and the chalk marks on the cloth are more faint and less numerous. I think they've given us virtual Taom here lads.

NJ Uncut

Quote from: Blue Jam on October 23, 2019, 10:54:44 PM
For extra authenticity, the latest update has added a few Legend Garys in the audience shouting "GWAAAAAARN RONNIIIEEEEUUURRGGGGHHH"

Oh great. I was already annoyed at the tittering at every bad miss. Every shot! Cunts in the crowd sniggering like fuck

Then they patched in somebody's blower going off and them being told off for it. Great, they patched in an annoyance from reality

Now it's Garys going WwwHAAAAYYYYYY

May as well patch in bad traffic or going to the wrong Barnsley

buttgammon

Yeah, all this 'authenticity' is naff and annoying. If I have to go to the toilet between shots, I often hear the commentators trying to hurry me up while I'm in mid-flow and end up pissing on the seat. Bloody nightmare. Yet, I can't play on mute because the crisp sound on snooker balls is a beautiful thing indeed.

Next patch: Ronnie O'Sullivan randomly walking out of matches.

Blue Jam

Neil Foulds really sounds like Simon's dad from The Inbetweeners.

I've been playing as Ronnie at the K2 Crawley and unsuccessfully fighting the urge to put on a high-pitched Essex accent and go "Wah wah wah this venue smells of wee" every time I miss a pot. I'm going to have to stop this.

Blue Jam

imitationleather

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2020, 03:51:46 PM
Coming to the Switch soon, possibly. Stay tuned:

https://twitter.com/Snooker19Game/status/1216742350766120963

Sweeeeeet.

Funny that they're apparently still calling it Snooker 19. I guess this will be altered tomorrow?

Release in time for the World Championship would be nice.

buttgammon

Finally got to World Championship quals. I'm loving playing best of 19 matches, but the fact that you can hear the audience despite the fact that the matches are played in little side rooms is quite disconcerting.

Blue Jam

Alright, who here has Game Pass/Games With Gold and wants a virtual CaB snooker meet while we're all hunkering down under quarantine? I'm BrawDug, add me.

Does anyone know how to do a Twitch stream for (spam)? I'd tune in for some CaB commentary on AIDS vs Martin Gould.

bgmnts

Oooh I didn't know there was snwcer on game pass. May download it.

Blue Jam

I don't think it's free on Game Pass, but you need some sort of Xbox Live membership to play online against random and CaBbers.

Puce Moment

Is there anything on a steam based game server that we could play? I only have my PC.

Puce Moment

I've been playing the crap out of this - I even ventured online and held my own, but my cue ball control is shite. I love playing as either Beautiful Ding or SexDungeon.

The commentary is a bit crap but you get used to it. I wish it was a bit more specific, allowing for more precise commentary.

Anyway - does anyone play this on Steam? I'm in the CaB group on there if anyone else is up for a game against someone who is frustratingly shit at this.

I was put off getting this as I watched the trailer and it just looked awful. I mean I know graphics aren't everything but it looked little better than ps2 standard. The movement looked a bit jerky as well and I just assumed it'd be shit.
Having read this thread I'll give it a go. Might wait for the switch release though.

Blue Jam

Been playing Career Mode lately (as James Cahill, like everyone else). Not won a single match. Best I did was winning one frame of Six Red against Legend Gary Wilson. Won several matches online against random humans but the AI is just too tough for me.

Puce Moment

Well it really has come down in price massively which in my view reflects the quality of the graphics, which doesn't bother me. I don't care too much if some of the ball play is rendered sloppily as long as the game play is good, and in general I would say it is.

For me, the main thing to get right is about the equation of ball striking, scoring and cue ball control, and therefore learning how hard to hit, how much side to use, and getting to know the phsyics overall. I think I am getting there but I do wish for a couple of things.

- Firstly, I wish we could get closer to the action in terms of cueing balls close to the pocket. It is something players are privy to, and I would as well.
- Secondly, the way that classically hard and easy shots are dealt with is not very consistent. I can knock in ridiculous long-shots with some ease, but I can struggle like fuck with a relatively simple cut to the corner.
- Thirdly, I do wish that in the AI mode they could speed up the play a bit better. The only incentive to watch that footage is to suss out your opponents gameplay in terms of strengths and weaknesses, but in this game that is less useful. I would rather hit a button that takes me to my next shot.

However, there are some elements of the game that will be really interesting and enjoyable to those like me that do not play the beautiful sport for reals. Actually, waiting for the opponent is kind of interesting as you get that frustration and impatience just waiting (even when speeded up). I sat through so many Trump 80 breaks that I had to stop playing. Also, building a break using reds and blacks is incredible satisfying. When you run out of play and you have to go for a blue it is quite an annoying feeling.

Finally, when you win a game after building a break it is fantastic. But for me the real pleasure of the game - especially when playing against a real human, is the safety play, trying to get snookers, running slowly up against a balk colour to snooker the opponent and some of the other things that make the game so pleasurable to watch.

It has frankly SHITLOADS of improvement needed - but rather than a new game I would love for me to get this one right instead.

Anyone have a favourite stadium? I'm a big fan of that Yushan Middle School.