Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Queerbaiting and $$$

Started by Noonling, April 09, 2019, 11:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noonling

LGBTQ in media is good and all but more and more I do feel like a lot of stuff counts as queerbaiting and just a way to make $$$ from the "woke".  I almost feel like coming out as bi has become a get-out-of-jail-free card to continue doing it. Perhaps more controversially, it feels kinda rude to profit from your bisexuality when 100% of your partners have been the opposite sex (which, according to the Internet, is true of Ariana Grande and Rita Ora who are mentioned in that article). Not to say they aren't bi of course, just profiting from it seems more skeevy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47820447

Discuss.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Noonling on April 09, 2019, 11:47:45 AM
it feels kinda rude to profit from your bisexuality when 100% of your partners have been the opposite sex

Discuss.

Well, that's not bisexuality is it?

Neville Chamberlain

Not really. I mean, you could still be bisexual even if you've had precisely zero luck with one particular gender, couldn't you?

gilbertharding

Well, if the internet says that Ariana Grande and Rita Ora have never shagged women, it must be true.

Cuellar

Well, you could say someone who is celibate (or just hideously ugly) isn't straight, or if they only fancy people of the same sex, isn't gay. I considered myself straight before I'd ever had the sex.

Icehaven

Didn't Brett Anderson get criticised/mocked for doing this about 25 years ago, when he claimed he was ''bisexual but had never had a homosexual experience.'' And he was just carrying it on from Jagger and Bowie etc., camping it up every which way except actually getting busy with the blokes. Plus ca change and all that.

Cuellar

I don't know why they don't just give someone a little tug/let a chap give them a gobble, then you're covered. They can't touch you.

Paul Calf

Quote from: icehaven on April 09, 2019, 12:00:29 PM
Didn't Brett Anderson get criticised/mocked for doing this about 25 years ago, when he claimed he was ''bisexual but had never had a homosexual experience.'' And he was just carrying it on from Jagger and Bowie etc., camping it up every which way except actually getting busy with the blokes. Plus ca change and all that.

He also got criticised because he was shit.

Ray Travez

Pop music's a big flirt, isn't it? You can find substance and authenticity, but I don't think one should necessarily expect it.

Icehaven

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 09, 2019, 12:06:37 PM
He also got criticised because he was shit.

Noooo I love early Swide! But is a bit of a silly thing to come out (or not) with. David Baddiel did an uncharacteristically enthusiastic parody at the time as well, ''I wanna be spanked by Lionel Blair!!"

Noonling

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 09, 2019, 11:50:09 AM

Bisexuality doesnt mean being 50/50 though, and since there are fewer people who are attracted to the same sex, its harder to get into a relationship with the same sex. I can certainly understand bi people mostly partnering with the opposite sex just because its easier for various reasons. So I'm not gonna deny their sexuality, just them selling it.

wosl

Quote from: icehaven on April 09, 2019, 12:10:53 PMI love early Swide!

I once lloyd about liking Swide (I was gunnah sigh in the Best Lloyd thread, cept it's norra very good lloy).

I do apologise

Kelvin

Quote from: Paul Calf on April 09, 2019, 11:50:09 AM

It is. If a person is sexually attracted to both men and women, it doesn't matter is they've had relationships with both, they're still bisexual. Same as a gay or straight virgin still being gay or straight.

Kelvin

Quote from: Noonling on April 09, 2019, 11:47:45 AM
LGBTQ in media is good and all but more and more I do feel like a lot of stuff counts as queerbaiting and just a way to make $$$ from the "woke".  I almost feel like coming out as bi has become a get-out-of-jail-free card to continue doing it. Perhaps more controversially, it feels kinda rude to profit from your bisexuality when 100% of your partners have been the opposite sex (which, according to the Internet, is true of Ariana Grande and Rita Ora who are mentioned in that article). Not to say they aren't bi of course, just profiting from it seems more skeevy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47820447

Discuss.

What do you suggest, though? That these celebs dont even mention their same sex attraction? I don't know how you can avoid profiting from it, when according to your post, just mentioning it is enough to win them fans. If they're attracted to the same sex, they're gay or bisexual (or however they identify), in which case it's fair enough if they mention it and use their platform to promote the issue. Their number of partners is irrelevent, assuming the 'bisexual' label is legitimate.

Kelvin

Out of interest, what's the word for a person who is attracted to men, woman, and other non-binary genders? Is there a fancy, modern word, or is that still classed as bisexuality? The latter doesn't seem applicable.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2019, 12:48:07 PM
Out of interest, what's the word for a person who is attracted to men, woman, and other non-binary genders? Is there a fancy, modern word, or is that still classed as bisexuality? The latter doesn't seem applicable.

They used to call it 'Try-sexual'. As in, you'll try anything*

*anyone.

Large Noise

Cuellar

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2019, 12:48:07 PM

Pansexual, I believe.

Because as you say, bisexual only covers 'men' and 'women', so what about the rest?!

I think Christine of Christine and the Queens identifies as pansexual.

MidnightShambler

Maybe some people here are confusing having a same-sex 'fantasy' with the actual state of being bisexual. It's not the same at all. Plenty of people have fantasies that are a turn on because of the taboo nature of them, not necessarily the actual act.

Just out of personal experience, my ex-girlfriend had always found women sexually attractive, until she, in her words, 'took the plunge' and slept with another girl. And absolutely hated it. I reasoned with her that maybe it was just the person was the wrong one etc but apparently not, it was just the act left her cold and a woman's touch just 'didn't feel right', it actually physically repulsed her to remember it, which I thought was a bit harsh but I've never been in that position so I can't judge it.

Cuellar

If you can actually sleep with a member of the same sex and still identify as 100% straight, then I don't think it's a stretch to have never slept with someone of the same sex and identify as bisexual.

Neville Chamberlain

My wife's straight, but she practically throws up whenever I touch her!

:-(

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Cuellar on April 09, 2019, 01:00:15 PM
If you can actually sleep with a member of the same sex and still identify as 100% straight, then I don't think it's a stretch to have never slept with someone of the same sex and identify as bisexual.

Maybe not, as I say I don't know. But having an idea that you like something before you've tried it is different to knowing if you liked it afterwards or not isn't it?

wooders1978

I agree that it feels a bit like grande and Ora are probably using it to sell more records to a demographic they might be missing out on, therefore "I'm a lezza but love the dick too much to have ever been in a long term lesbian relationship" seems a bit of a cop out

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on April 09, 2019, 12:34:21 PM
It is. If a person is sexually attracted to both men and women, it doesn't matter is they've had relationships with both, they're still bisexual. Same as a gay or straight virgin still being gay or straight.

I'm dumbfounded this actually needed clarifying.

All the the same, if an adult hasn't had any sort of intimate contact with anyone apart from the opposite sex and hasn't even tried either, and only makes vague ostentatious remarks about fancying their own gender that appear attention seeking (likewise if they only do gaying and no straighting) then they go in a category (existing solely in my head) labelled "Hmm chinny reckon"

At least that straight bloke small_world who was definitely straight went out and had ritualistic hard anal sex with men. That you can respect.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 09, 2019, 01:13:20 PM
I'm dumbfounded this actually needed clarifying.

It didn't.

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on April 09, 2019, 01:13:20 PM

At least that straight bloke small_world who was definitely straight went out and had ritualistic hard anal sex with men. That you can respect.

Is this serious? Did it actually happen?

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Cuellar on April 09, 2019, 01:00:15 PM

Also, I've removed the last bit of my post. I'm gonna concede it needs thinking through a bit more before I declare an absolute belief in it!

Quote from: MidnightShambler on April 09, 2019, 12:58:43 PM
it actually physically repulsed her to remember it everytime I brought it up during sex, which I thought was a bit harsh.

FTFY

Dex Sawash

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Cuellar on April 09, 2019, 12:58:14 PM
Pansexual, I believe.

Because as you say, bisexual only covers 'men' and 'women', so what about the rest?!

I think Christine of Christine and the Queens identifies as pansexual.

PHWOAAAAAAARRRRR

Shit Good Nose

Well, according to that Kinsey scale, pretty much everyone on the planet is a little bit gay - from a man or woman who have a particular crush on one particular person of the same sex (I've mentioned on here before about my man-crush on Ben Fogle) but they otherwise consider themselves to be "straight", right up to ancient Greek style "what is heterosexual/homosexual???" (AKA any hole's a goal), and everything in between.

I've no doubt that some people claim it to their advantage but are really bullshitting, but equally I think a lot of them are being honest about it.