Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:07:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Women Aren't Funny - Christopher Hitchens

Started by MortSahlFan, April 09, 2019, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7izJggqCoA

I listed all my favorites elsewhere, and they were all guys.. I love my nieces, but they'll never be funnier than they are as toddlers.

Cuellar

Hitchens was a real wreck of a man wasn't he.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Cuellar on April 09, 2019, 12:51:08 PM
Hitchens was a real wreck of a man wasn't he.
"Christopher, you can't be funny constantly holding a glass of Dr. Pepper"

Sin Agog

Top comment in that vid was nicked from Bob Monkhouse.

BOB MONKhouse, not Bertha Nunhouse.

Sin Agog

And women are funny.  You sound about as old as Mort Sahl.

ajsmith2

Imagine if in the year 3010, every word that Hitchens ever said or wrote is irretrievably forgotten but the largest freestanding structure on earth is modelled after the topography of his buttocks and that becomes his ultimate legacy.

We will never know if this will come to pass, but it remains a possibility that can never be ruled out.

this fucking Hitchens video again

Ever heard of Elaine May, arsehole?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 09, 2019, 01:09:34 PM
And women are funny.  You sound about as old as Mort Sahl.
Go get a tissue and wipe the piss from your face.

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on April 09, 2019, 01:30:14 PM
Go get a tissue and wipe the piss from your face.

What does my sex life have to do with anything?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Sin Agog on April 09, 2019, 01:34:06 PM
What does my sex life have to do with anything?
Dude, you should be a comedian!

Cuellar

I know lots of funny women, but no funny Christophers Hitchens - sort of makes you think.

love watching Christopher Hitchens and nodding along and imagining that im intelligent for agreeing with his AIDS-tier opinions

alan nagsworth

Man: I think I'm better than woman, and I'm so intelligent that I can see this having literally no future repercussions ever.

Sin Agog

Quote from: MortSahlFan on April 09, 2019, 02:18:21 PM
Dude, you should be a comedian!

Can't.  Too in touch with my feminine side.

You can think what you want, but I found myself getting a little sad picturing you playing frisbee with your beloved nieces, while thinking to yourself all the while, 'Any minute now...any minute you're going to stop being funny because of your two X chromosomes.'   Doesn't seem like a healthy way to go about interacting with people.

Sin Agog

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 09, 2019, 03:17:38 PM
Was Hitchens funnier as a toddler?

Not really.  When a nice old lady once called baby Hitchens in his pram 'a darling angel,' he immediately sat up and lectured her for thirty minutes about the fallacy of believing in fictional entities.

Cuellar

I know very very few funny men. As in, people I consort with. Most men are humourless drudges.

Cuellar

If men are so funny, why didn't Christopher Hitchens open up a chain of restaurants/kitchen installation businesses called Christopher Kitchens?

This is a funny pun or just a bit of a joke related to his surname. It is funny therefore men are genetically and socially conditioned to be funny unlike women who are not.

Autopsy Turvey

Funnily enough I've long wanted to do a cartoon about the Hitchens Kids, following the Spy vs Spy-style violent oneupmanship antics of Christopher and Peter as toddlers.

He has a valid argument on this subject, which is not to say that there aren't any funny women.

I dunno anybody who thinks this argument holds up in 2019 either:

a) doesn't know many women
b) knows fuck all about comedy
or
c) both

Cuellar

The argument that it's a type of male courting ritual would be more convincing if stand-up crowds weren't exclusively populated by middle-aged men wearing beer festival t-shirts and not much hair (or too much hair).

PlanktonSideburns

sponk

Apparently he only wrote the original article on the back of a challenge from his editor at Vanity Fair. He used to challenge him to say and do absurd things as convincingly as possible, for the bantz like.

I think Hitchens admitted later in another video that he was basically trolling with this, but it hasn't stopped it from being cited sincerely ever since by the internet's most boring tossers

Cuellar

Just like back in the Union*! What larks!

"Hitchens, here's fun: how about a piece on how black people are subhuman? Just ironically you understand"

*Oxford

sponk

If you scroll through a few pages of the comedy chat page, what percentage of the most admired comedies will have been created by women? Maybe you whiteknights are mad at the Hitch because he's saying what you secretly believe but are too betacucked to admit!!!

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 09, 2019, 03:49:48 PM
I dunno anybody who thinks this argument holds up in 2019 either:

a) doesn't know many women
b) knows fuck all about comedy
or
c) both

Or, a) knows quite a lot of women but none that are particularly distinguished by great comic imagination, and b) knows enough about comedy to have noticed that 98% of the best examples have been created by men.

We could test it out with a list of really all-time devastatingly funny comediennes. I'll start.

1. Dame Edna.

Dusty Substance

I always admired Hitchens and agreed with a lot of what he used to say, especially when it came to religion, but this is such a dumb thing to say. However, if I was to draw up an honest list of the 50 comedians and comedy actors who have made me laugh the most, it would almost certainly be nearly all men.  This probably says more about how much easier it is for men than women to get on TV, stage, podcasts etc.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: sponk on April 09, 2019, 04:22:08 PM
If you scroll through a few pages of the comedy chat page, what percentage of the most admired comedies will have been created by women? Maybe you whiteknights are mad at the Hitch because he's saying what you secretly believe but are too betacucked to admit!!!

Nah

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on April 09, 2019, 04:42:31 PM
Or, a) knows quite a lot of women but none that are particularly distinguished by great comic imagination

Well I know loads of very funny women so I guess you've just cultivated a boring social life!