Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Women Aren't Funny - Christopher Hitchens

Started by MortSahlFan, April 09, 2019, 12:47:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lankyguy95

There's a strain of truth to it. I think it's more to do with role models personally; men have many more funny role models which leads to more funny men. Now there are more female comedians than previously, it means that more funny young women are now coming through.

There may be social, psychological and possibly biological aspects involved and men are definitely more inclined in general to be funny but I think if men and women had an equal number of comedic role models of their gender, the split in the following generation wouldn't be all that different.

Ornlu

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 09, 2019, 05:09:16 PM
Well I know loads of very funny women so I guess you've just cultivated a boring social life!

More funny women than funny men?

Well I know loads of very funny women so I guess you've just cultivated a boring social life!

Intentionally or unintentionally funny, though?

Howj Begg

This is a troll thread, so probably not even worth the time to think, let alone post in it, but

Assuming sponk's post was a half-joke post, on the front page alone, we have Fleabag, Broad City, Amy Sedaris at Home, and brilliant female comic performances in The Thick of It S4, This Time with Alan Partridge (at least 4 women regulars, I think?), Arrested Development, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend...

As I say, waste of time. Still.

PS The funniest ppl I personally know are women.

Quote from: ajsmith2 on April 09, 2019, 01:19:39 PM
Imagine if in the year 3010, every word that Hitchens ever said or wrote is irretrievably forgotten but the largest freestanding structure on earth is modelled after the topography of his buttocks and that becomes his ultimate legacy.

We will never know if this will come to pass

Speak for yourself.  Take regular exercise; watch your diet; keep your fingers crossed for medical advances, cryogenics, and possible future brain transplants...

Quote from: Ornlu on April 09, 2019, 05:18:25 PM
More funny women than funny men?

On balance, probably, but I know quite a few incredibly literal minded men who would probably be the type to start threads like this and they don't tend to be funny at all so the average is skewed by those guys

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 09, 2019, 05:20:57 PM
Intentionally or unintentionally funny, though?

Absolutely intentionally, many of them could even be described as witty, believe it or not!

Endicott

I guess Victoria Wood wasn't the comic genius I thought she was. Or Joyce Grenfell. Or French and Saunders. Or, nah, fuck this stupid thread.

alan nagsworth

Man: *spends a couple thousand years in the dominant role pushing woman about and breaking her spirit, enters Wokedom for five minutes* Hey where's all the women with empowered creative expression at

pigamus

Quote from: Endicott on April 09, 2019, 05:59:35 PM
I guess Victoria Wood wasn't the comic genius I thought she was. Or Joyce Grenfell. Or French and Saunders. Or, nah, fuck this stupid thread.

If I'm being totally honest, Victoria Wood would be top of my list as well, but then I'm struggling to think who the next name on the list would be.

Thursday

Hang on what is this thread? Is it serious? Is some toilet person seriously linking to an old Christopher Hitchens fart.

Thursday

How awful for Mort Sahl to have you as a fan.

Cuellar

I am delighted Chrustopher Hitches is dead

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on April 09, 2019, 04:05:34 PM
I think Hitchens admitted later in another video that he was basically trolling with this, but it hasn't stopped it from being cited sincerely ever since by the internet's most boring tossers

Where did he say this?

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 09, 2019, 08:07:51 PM
Where did he say this?

I do not recall, it's been a decade since my Hitchens period so I've lost all tabs. It is possible that I am wrong about that

Cuellar

It's his shit-eating grin that gets to me. Smug, plausibly deniable wank.

PlanktonSideburns

This. Drowning in blokes who think they're funny. Yawn

a peepee tipi

Funny, since it wasn't Mort Sahl or Lenny Bruce that founded modern standup but a black lesbian named Moms Mabley...

Twed

Hello. This observation always comes from the kinds of men who select the women in their lives to be seen and not heard. Their observations are as valuable as somebody who has bought 18kgs of butter and is complaining about how everything is so slippery.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Twed on April 09, 2019, 08:45:47 PM
Hello. This observation always comes from the kinds of men who select the women in their lives to be seen and not heard. Their observations are as valuable as somebody who has bought 18kgs of butter and is complaining about how everything is so slippery.

Lovely analogy

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Thursday on April 09, 2019, 06:25:10 PM
How awful for Mort Sahl to have you as a fan.

I dunno, I think we should probably stop responding to this prick (him, not you).

madhair60

Mm, I'm afraid Christopher Hitchens was on the money, here. Women - very serious indeed.

sponk

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 09, 2019, 09:12:38 PM
What did he say? Got a quote?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=nNTDaH6LFX0C&pg=PT1265&lpg=PT1265&dq=my+bet+with+graydon+was+essentially+a+simple+one&source=bl&ots=sKemgDhyl4&sig=ACfU3U33yUhbu8n-i6euwHrDw395_XIq7Q&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi6g9XM8MPhAhVZDmMBHa8nB-4Q6AEwAHoECAcQAQ#v=onepage&q=my%20bet%20with%20graydon%20was%20essentially%20a%20simple%20one&f=false

Not quite as unambiguous as I remembered it, but that's the quote I was referring to. I think a lot of people in this thread are falling down a common logical sinkhole in their attempted rebuttals to the video. Saying "women aren't funny" doesn't mean there are no funny women, just like saying "men are taller than women" doesn't mean there are no tall women.

sevendaughters

Hitchens Left & Right are incredibly erudite sophists and their chief role on this earth is to show that words cleverly marshalled can still amount to very little in the cold light of day; see C's volte-face on waterboarding after initially going to bat for the Blair-Bush axis' usage of this form of torture. Logic and dispassion are too easily summed up when compassion and care are often better utilised.

Dr Sanchez

Well I certainly think that to a lot of men women aren't at all funny but there's underlying issues there like little willies and such.

Quote from: sponk on April 09, 2019, 09:50:07 PM
I think a lot of people in this thread are falling down a common logical sinkhole in their attempted rebuttals to the video. Saying "women aren't funny" doesn't mean there are no funny women, just like saying "men are taller than women" doesn't mean there are no tall women.

But even the premise of "Women aren't funny" is something that is rather obviously incorrect. And I don't think that people have necessarily assumed that he meant "no funny women"? I think people are disagreeing with the premise as stated

Peter Hitchens is entertaining in his reactionary grandfatherness.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 09, 2019, 10:09:55 PM

No he isn't, he's a dreary, dribbling arsehole.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on April 09, 2019, 10:09:55 PM

Not checked him out, but wish the numbskull  butterslippers here were a bit more entertaining in their tedious edgelordery