Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Terrible Trailers of Modern Hollywood

Started by St_Eddie, April 09, 2019, 08:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Ambassador

As RLM noted, every blockbuster type film trailer starts with a shot of a city skyline, and now I can't unsee it.

Surely the worst trailer of the past decade has to be Dredd.  It was clearly obvious from watching it the first time, that they gave away the death of the lead villian.

Uncle TechTip

It's understandable that they're risk-free though? Fuck the trailer and loads of people won't go to see your $100m movie. They are a crucial part of the marketing aren't they?

BritishHobo

Pet Sematary is a great example both of being packed with spoilers (it's a pretty slight film, and pretty much every story beat is in there), but also being contrary to the film's own intentions. There's a very significant moment in the book, where Gage, the son, is hit by a truck and dies. This is then the crux of the plot, in which Gage is brought back to life via the cemetery. The filmmakers made a clear decision to surprise fans of the book by subverting their expectations by having the daughter being the one to die, and then be brought back. It really shows in the film as an intended misdirect, to the extent that they actually set up the scene to make you think Gage is going to get hit, only revealing the truth right at the last second. Very clearly they wanted it to be a huge, shocking surprise, which would mean the film still had unpredictability even if you were familiar with the book. Trailer comes out, all of that gets shown. Any surprise, spunked.

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: BritishHobo on April 13, 2019, 09:58:10 PM
Pet Sematary is a great example both of being packed with spoilers (it's a pretty slight film, and pretty much every story beat is in there), but also being contrary to the film's own intentions. There's a very significant moment in the book, where Gage, the son, is hit by a truck and dies. This is then the crux of the plot, in which Gage is brought back to life via the cemetery. The filmmakers made a clear decision to surprise fans of the book by subverting their expectations by having the daughter being the one to die, and then be brought back. It really shows in the film as an intended misdirect, to the extent that they actually set up the scene to make you think Gage is going to get hit, only revealing the truth right at the last second. Very clearly they wanted it to be a huge, shocking surprise, which would mean the film still had unpredictability even if you were familiar with the book. Trailer comes out, all of that gets shown. Any surprise, spunked.

Yeah I was actually excited to see the new adaptation until I saw that trailer and worked out what the major change was. They sanded the edges off and fucked it.