Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:47:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Order - 'Movement: Definitive Edition' box set.

Started by jamiefairlie, April 09, 2019, 11:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

This is fantastic. Finally a proper NO boxset with demos, unleased live performances and so on.

This era of NO has held a magnetic fascination for me, shrouded in mystery as it was for so long. I bought every bootleg, read every article and book, shared news on message boards - devouring every little scrap of information greedily. And now, here we have it, as complete a record of the time as you could ask for (still no release for their Beach Club live debut in July 80 but we need to have some holy grails for the future).

Here's a few gems:

Doubts Even Here demo, from Jan 81, instrumental, ethereal and so haunting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UMVKC00xiA

Homage - one of the first batch of songs written in Summer 1980 and thrown away within a few months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag-ZCZGj0NU

Cries and Whispers demo - Barney on vocals (Hooky usually did live in early gigs) but still the original lyrics and vocal patterns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObBWrvNAwPE

Twed

Excited for whatever buzby is going to post in this thread.

Twed

I fucking love Movement, btw.

I know people rip on it for sounding like Joy Division, but that's a review that only makes sense around the time of its release. Looking at it now, it's fascinating to listen to an album made by a band transforming into a new one. For me, Dreams Never End sits at the beginning to sort-of show a lighter side to New Order (not completely, but mostly) and then the rest of it is them exorcising what was left of their JD spirit. It's great, you're on that journey of discovery and healing with them, and instead of it being grim from the start they begin by opening with what they've learned about themselves.

DrGreggles

I bought the special edition of Movement (and the other albums up to Technique) when it was released a few years ago.
Not sure I can justify splashing out on this too, but it looks like a packaging-lover's wet dream!

buzby

Quote from: DrGreggles on April 10, 2019, 07:58:32 AM
I bought the special edition of Movement (and the other albums up to Technique) when it was released a few years ago.
Not sure I can justify splashing out on this too, but it looks like a packaging-lover's wet dream!
That's my problem - I've already got 6 copies of the album (Factory LP, Factory US LP with white sleeve, Factory longbox cassette, Factory CD, London/Centerdate CD, 2015 Rhino 'Collector's Edition' 2xCD with the fucked up bonus disc) so it's hard to justfy £90 for this version (especially as it's the 2015 remaster of the actual album again, which I was never that happy with).

Looking at the tracklisting I don't really see the point of putting the alternative 7" mix of Temptation on the bonus disc with the demos but not any of the actual Movement-era singles or B-sides (which were on the Collector's Edition, though in some cases fucked up by being ripped from vinyl). Temptation doesn't really belong with Movement, it is the bridge between Movement and P,C&L and where Bernard really started finding his own voice both literally and lyrically (due in part to the influence of LSD). It was also the first single they produced by themselves (Hannett having walked out during the mixing of Everything's Gone Green).

I would rather they had packaged all the Hannett-era stuff together in this box (the multiple versions of Ceremony and In A Lonely Place*, Procession, Everything's Gone Green, Cries And Whispers and Mesh), though the abscence of the singles probably points towards a simlarly-priced 'definitive edition' of Substance some way down the line (though Temptation was re-recorded in 1987 for Substance, along with Confusion).

The only thing that really interests me in this box is the book and the DVD of early live footage - I'd love to finally see the video of the Hurrah's gig (which has been one of the holy grails for New Order fans for nearly 40 years) and decent copies of the Celebration and Riverside performances (though not all of the tracks from the Celebration studio tapings have been included, unfortunately)

*There were 2 mixes of IALP releleased on the two different versions of the Ceremony 12". The reissues of the Ceremony 12"s they have put out alongside this album use the same version on both (the later one, which is slighly different to the earlier mix which ended up on Substance by mistake and so is more well-known)

Dr Syntax Head

I love box set reissues and this is now top of my list

holyzombiejesus

I love box sets too but I can't remember the last time I opened one up for a listen. They're definitely something to own rather than to use, aren't they?

Twed

Having listened to Movement a LOT (and acquiring an of-the-era, fantastically tattered vinyl copy) since posting above, I disagree with myself. There's a good mix of old and new on here, it's not just Dreams Never End.

Denial sounds like it would have been the next evolution of Joy Division's sound to me. What a severely underrated track.