Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:55:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veep - last season

Started by Mobius, April 10, 2019, 12:44:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

2 episodes aired so far. Anyone watching?

Amazed at how consistently funny this show has been. Much like The Thick Of It it's just gag after gag. So many great performances.

Worth checking out if you aren't already.

up_the_hampipe

Episode two was very good. Agreed, it's ridiculous in its consistency. There were at least three lines that knocked me back, but this one takes the cake:

"Dan fucked you?! What, were you wearing a full-length mirror?"

BlodwynPig

Yep, not a dip in quality in sight. Pacing and tempo spot on.

olliebean

House's Amy was fantastic, particularly when I realised who she was.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 10, 2019, 03:09:19 AM
Yep, not a dip in quality in sight. Pacing and tempo spot on.

Remember when there were reports of a drop in quality and the show becoming more generic at the start of season 5, when Iannucci left and David Mandel took over?
I guess that most of it came from writers fatigue. This time, they had two years to put together this season, and the hiatus seems to have benefitted everybody.

backdrifter

Still absolutely loving this.

Though I feel like the #NotMe press conference really hurt the realism. Admittedly it has been getting steadily less realistic since the end of s4 but this still felt out of place - more Alphahouse than Veep.

So glad it's back though - probably best political comedy ever.

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on April 10, 2019, 10:28:08 AM
Remember when there were reports of a drop in quality and the show becoming more generic at the start of season 5, when Iannucci left and David Mandel took over?
I guess that most of it came from writers fatigue. This time, they had two years to put together this season, and the hiatus seems to have benefitted everybody.

Nearly all the writers were new and American, and you could really feel it - as well as outdoor scenes suddenly being very clearly shot in Los Angeles alleys, instead of in front of Maryland townhouses. I dipped out during that season and have come back for the final: the insults are still laboured and constructed as in S5, rather than the convincing invective of the Ianucci years, but they're constructed better and are much funnier than S5. It's definitely picked up from the initial Mandel eps.

(Or I've lowered my expectations. Calling Jonah a "skyraper" might be cheap but it made me titter.)

Noodle Lizard

I gave up about halfway through Season 5 because I felt the drop in quality was extremely noticeable.  Am I to understand that's not the case and that I should plough on?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on April 13, 2019, 03:47:13 AM
I gave up about halfway through Season 5 because I felt the drop in quality was extremely noticeable.  Am I to understand that's not the case and that I should plough on?

yes, plough on

Or just jump in with the new season, there's a recap at the start.

Jonah seems to be suffering from the condition that afflicted Homer Simpson after the early years of the Simpsons: he's almost too stupid to be able to breathe and walk at the same time.

This episode was spoiled a little by two of its jokes taking place in real Australian politics over the weekend before it aired: the unelected PM launched an election, sledged the opposition for racism, then promptly dropped an even more inappropriate "ni hao" than Mike

and a former senator who quit the vanity party of a nutbag billionaire to start her own vanity party is trying to get re-elected on the "deep-throating a sausage on a stick" platform

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, they've really dialled up Jonah's complete incompetency. It was very noticeable this week, but also very funny. His inability to speak without saying something offensive is my highlight of the season so far. I bet he'll win the election.

Vitalstatistix

Andy Daly is brilliant in this, and should be used more.

That reminds me, if anyone hasn't seen Review with Forrest MacNeil yet, it's magic.

Quote from: Vitalstatistix on April 16, 2019, 12:52:40 PM
Andy Daly is brilliant in this, and should be used more.

That reminds me, if anyone hasn't seen Review with Forrest MacNeil yet, it's magic.

He's so good. That smile and salute just after Selena tells him to fuck off out her office in ep 3.

'Can do skipper!'

backdrifter

So the ultra ambitious and super-politically-sharp Amy would rather be Jonah's (and she knows better than most what a moronic asshole he is) campaign manager than Selena's (who might actually win and give her real power) "campaign staffer". Seems like an absurdly poor decision.

And then Selena fucks Dan then fires him and it doesn't even warrant a full 2min of screen time. BTW do we think she fired him because she fucked him or because he didn't immediately grab the remote?

Never missed Armando more than after the latest ep. It's still funny as fuck but the sheer pace and absurdity is really hurting the drama. E.g. When Amy quits (in season 4?) it's a really powerful scene and everyone in the room feels it. In season 7 it happens between episodes and no one cares.

Mobius

Well I think Amy is finally broken and realised she's dedicated her life to a toxic system, so has decided to turn into Kelly-Anne Conway because it works.

Basically everyone in the show has worked for Jonah at some point including Kent Bill and Ben. Dan was turned down for TV work before working with Jonah. I don't think being connected to an absolute fuckwit of a politician is necessarily a death sentence...

I think she fired him because she's just a horrible person. She's done it many times before though often through someone else - she's so jaded now she just doesn't care, plus as Andy Daly's character says Dan signed an NDA.

I don't disagree with you though, I watched the latest ep after binging Season 5 and it feels slightly more hollow, think they're parodying current politics a bit too much now. However as you said it's still funny as fuck so I don't mind.

I actually don't understand why people say Season 5, the first one without Iannucci, is not one of the better ones. There's so many great episodes, and it all ties together nicely with the Kissing Your Sister doco episode and then the inauguration.

remedial_gash

Go on I'll weigh in like an ill-informed cunt, hated the first season for some reason (thought it was a shit version of TTOI - mainly because the previous programme had character actors and not that cunt from seinfeld, or bloke from arrested development - then I calmed down, and realised how wrong I was.), then loved it for a bit, but since the Americans took over it does seem tonally different. Not bad, but Mandel has a vision and the cast like it more than under Ianucci, like they like more jokes than having anything to say - unless it was with a FUCKING SLEDGE HAMMER.

Dunno, can't be arsed with it anymore, will watch it when it is done, the first ep was shit - genuinely prefer frankly fucking shit not comedy schitts creak, mainly cause some of the cast are still wankable.

olliebean

Quote from: backdrifter on April 24, 2019, 03:22:29 AM
So the ultra ambitious and super-politically-sharp Amy would rather be Jonah's (and she knows better than most what a moronic asshole he is) campaign manager than Selena's (who might actually win and give her real power) "campaign staffer". Seems like an absurdly poor decision.

I'm getting a really strong feeling at this point that Jonah is going to end up winning.

backdrifter

Quote from: olliebean on April 24, 2019, 02:52:21 PM
I'm getting a really strong feeling at this point that Jonah is going to end up winning.

Oh god you're right. That was my theory when he announced at the end of last season but this season he's been such a train wreck that I forgot it. But the sharia-math thing is a definite sign.

Maybe Selena's role in the Chinese cyber attack will come out and it'll help sink her and get Jonah over the line.

Ant Farm Keyboard

Big Richard is also a possible contender now that he's made national headlines.

Mobius

Yep as soon as he did that fireman bit I thought he'd be Prez!

Been re-watching loads of old episodes. I'm convinced this is the best Yank comedy in years.

I would love a Jonah & Richard spinoff...

Dr Rock

Sped through the first four episodes, great stuff. Everyone is getting Flanderized especially Jonah, it's well divorced from a plausible real world now, but it works for me. Jonah in the boxing ring bit my most laugh out loud moment but a hell of a lot of great lines just flying at you like spunk in a spunkathon (or whatever they would write).

up_the_hampipe

I think this is a show where Flanderization makes sense. They've been sucked in to the world of politics so deeply that their souls have died. Selina used to be a shitty person with a shred of morality, now that's been chipped away and she's a full-blown monster. Seems fine to me.

chveik

this is shaping up nicely.

Mobius

Most recent episode was hilarious throughout. Such a funny show.

zomgmouse

Was worried there'd be a bit of a final-season drop in quality but no, it's been consistently incredibly funny. I do think some of the events happen too fast and we don't get as much emotional weight but it's still so funny I don't mind. Especially all the Jonah stuff.

amnesiac

Amy morphing into Kelly-Anne Conway is so inspired - "that's your opinion" "that just your opinion" and the way she even sits in that interview, she is an amazing actress. I will be so sad when it ends.

Puce Moment

Quote from: amnesiac on May 03, 2019, 10:45:00 AMAmy morphing into Kelly-Anne Conway is so inspired - "that's your opinion" "that just your opinion" and the way she even sits in that interview, she is an amazing actress. I will be so sad when it ends.

Amy and Jonah are making this season spectacular. It's fucking so strong.

Ant Farm Keyboard

They had EVERYONE for the finale. And it worked.

Mobius

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, they really nailed everything without it feeling too rush and crammed in. Great ending. The last section in particular made me laugh a lot. Although I do feel bad for Gary.