Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:52:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

big adventure

Started by kittens, April 10, 2019, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

dont pick up any perfume bottles!!!

Pranet

If it is big rocks you are after you could go to Avebury- it is free and sort of in the vicinity. I mean, it is a hell of a ride away but if you are riding from Bristol.... It also has Silbury Hill and West Kennet Long Barrow- a long barrow you can go into, a bit.

(Sorry, just seen Cuellar mentioned this on previous page).

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Buelligan on April 10, 2019, 11:06:09 AM...also, something tall and silent came and stood over me, I touched it (hairy) and it ran off into the woods...

Yeah, sorry about that! Did I scare you?!?

etc etc

Ferris

I spent a happy weekend hiking in Aviemore about 10 years ago. Give that a go.

They have a stone circle in a council estate. Won't see that anywhere else. Don't have to pay to go in either.

Ray Travez

I don't know Bristol at all, could you maybe start from somewhere else?

Ian Drunken Smurf

How about from Bristol on through to Taunton and the Quantocks or say along the coast to North Devon? Not sure if there are some killer hills though.

kittens

i an mainly interested in seeing very very old things and great views and ghosts. please try to incorporate these into your suggestions.

idunnosomename

why not go and visit your mum then lol

kittens

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I did once have an idea of cycling from my home to central london over the course of several days. I could have done a rural sightseeing fun thing like kittens but unfortunately there isn't anything cool to see in cambridgeshire or essex.

Twed

Alright calm down Twinsen

idunnosomename

Quote from: Angrew Lloyg Wegger on April 10, 2019, 08:36:59 PM
I did once have an idea of cycling from my home to central london over the course of several days. I could have done a rural sightseeing fun thing like kittens but unfortunately there isn't anything cool to see in cambridgeshire or essex.
not true. also it could be like that monty python episode.

* im just your jack in the box *

studpuppet

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 10, 2019, 10:10:09 AM
Stonehenge is a soulless touris-trap monument to bleakness, too.

In its defence, this is on the visitor centre wall.

Ferris

Lots of good castles north of Bristol in the borders. Harlech and Skenfrith being the ones I remember. Hereford is quite nice as well, as long as you aren't planning to spend more than an afternoon there.

Edit: Skenfrith is a 4hr bike ride away. I don't think there are laws against free-camping in Wales (I believe they are England only?), and as a bonus you can have a look at where they filmed the trippy modern Doctor Who episode with Toby Jones in it. There's also a jam shop.

This is my final answer.

(Edit: you could also get Raglan Castle ticked off on the way - here it is being danced all over by Led Zeppelin in that ludicrous film they made)

idunnosomename

thats also not totally inaccurate regarding current scholarship on the most complete prehistoric architectural monument in perhaps, the world

well except that its a solar temple of course

Dr Syntax Head

Go west. Land's end is worth the effort and there's a great campsite at st ives

ProvanFan

Cycle to Halfords and check out the bikes