Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fussy and annoying stages in games you otherwise like

Started by Clownbaby, April 10, 2019, 11:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clownbaby

Even in games I like to revisit cause I enjoyed them the first time round there are certain stages that I just fucking dread because they're fussy and annoying but not in the fun challenging way.

I've always hated the bit in the Mexico part of Tomb Raider Underworld where you turn the puzzle to open up the ground in that big expansion of walled space and then absolutely nash it on your motorbike down to the hole in the floor before it closes up. Maybe it isn't fussy to other people but I'm always a bit shit on bikes in games so it's a bit of a chore. I can do it now I'm practiced at it, but it wasn't half a pain in the arse the first time round.

I'm playing GTA San Andreas at the moment and I hate the Robbing Uncle Sam bit where you have to load up the truck with stolen weapons using the forklift truck. I absolutely can't stand forklift trucks in games. It's a really fussy and clunky bit in a game that I otherwise like. It always annoys me that Ryder doesn't really do a good job of defending himself when the army guys pop over and start shooting at him so I started just getting out of the forklift every time I hear gunshot and knocking them off myself, then getting back in the forklift truck. Pain in the arse. And yes I'm probably making it more awkward than it has to be.

Aaaand I've just checked strategy wiki to see if I was making it more awkward than it had to be an it turns out you can shoot the lock outside the warehouse first and move all the crates to an easier location before letting Ryder through with the truck. Fuck sake.

There will be more games I'll think of later I bet.

kalowski

The fucking Posion Ivy section in Arkham Asylum. Just terrible.

And, on a similar theme, the racing section on Arkham City. As I've said here before, if I wanted a racing game I'd have bought one.

Sebastian Cobb

Xen in Half Life.

The initial test/training stage of the PlayStation game Driver (which was pretty much lifted from the 70's film The Driver).

I adore Final Fantasy VII but hate the entire Golden Saucer section. At the time, the idea of minigames gave it a sense of freedom and depth and authenticity (you can actually play the arcade games!) but now it's a bloody awful section. It looks pretty good, certainly appropriately garish and there's some nice story touches in the hotel, but even just getting around with those pipes gets on my tits. The Chocobo racing is probably the nadir, though. Feels bad to say anything unkind about this game but it stands out in my mind.

Cuellar

Continuing with GTAs - that FUCKING remote controlled helicopter one in Vice City.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That's nothing compared to THAT FUCKING remote controlled plane one in San Andreas.

Chollis

GTA remote controlled anything, especially the RC plane cunt in San Andreas

and the people's favourite:

"All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

edit: beat me to it

They patched it in later versions, so the fuel wasn't constantly draining, which made it easy as pie.

Chollis

MojoJojo

Quote from: kalowski on April 10, 2019, 11:26:41 AM
The fucking Posion Ivy section in Arkham Asylum. Just terrible.

The insanity ward bit? I guess it was a bit slow. But it's nothing compared to the Killer Croc boss fight.

The drugged off nightmare levels in Max Payne, which forced you to walk along a tightrope-like path with an instakill fall a scant few pixels either side.

Clownbaby

Also in San Andreas. Chasing after that little shit Freddy. Not so bad once I realised you don't have to follow him through the zigzagging narrow bit but there's still the 30 attempts previous where I had no idea

beanheadmcginty

Slippy slidey ice worlds in 16-bit platform games.

Ferris

NeoTokyo in TimeSplitters 2. To this day, I fucking loathe stealth missions in shooters.

kalowski

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 10, 2019, 12:30:15 PM
The insanity ward bit? I guess it was a bit slow. But it's nothing compared to the Killer Croc boss fight.
God, I can't really remember. I was shooting flower heads for days on end.

biggytitbo

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 10, 2019, 01:37:08 PMNeoTokyo in TimeSplitters 2. To this day, I fucking loathe stealth missions in shooters.
All instant-fail stealth sections in any game ever. Nobody bought the PS4 Spider-Man game hoping to play as MJ sneaking around.

Ferris

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on April 10, 2019, 02:20:32 PM
All instant-fail stealth sections in any game ever. Nobody bought the PS4 Spider-Man game hoping to play as MJ sneaking around.

Yes. If I wanted to sneak around and get in trouble the second I was caught, I'd have an affair.

Sin Agog

St_Eddie

The final meat circus level from Psychonauts.  Also, the completely out of place boss fights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 10, 2019, 01:53:21 PM
All boss fights in games.

You must hate Cuphead!

The stages in IK+ where you have to deflect the balls rather than do any actual fighting.  Takes up at least three-quarters of your game time.

Chollis

Twed

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on April 10, 2019, 03:43:13 PM
Seafoam Island caves in Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow

Are you mental? Those are great. It's the shitty zubat caves you want to be complaining about.

And if anyone (like me) cares, there's an app out there that works as an emulator for GBA so you can download ROMs on your phone and play Pokémon on the bus, without carrying a massive gameboy around like an utter melvin.

Phil_A

The horse race against Ingo in Ocarina Of Time. Absolute torture to keep failing on the final stage and to then have to redo the entire sequence over again.

The Goron Race in Majora's Mask is even worse, complete and utter bullshit.

Chollis

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 10, 2019, 03:47:29 PM
Are you mental? Those are great. It's the shitty zubat caves you want to be complaining about.

Fuck off mate. Literally impossible to do unless you got the walkthrough up on your home computer. Don't even fucking want Articuno he's shit

Ferris

Quote from: Chollis on April 10, 2019, 04:08:03 PM
Fuck off mate. Literally impossible to do unless you got the walkthrough up on your home computer. Don't even fucking want Articuno he's shit

Piling madness on madness here

Chollis

Just a sexed up Pidgeotto isn't he

Don't need him when you've got Blastoise running through brick walls for the manager

Chollis

kalowski