Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:01:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fussy and annoying stages in games you otherwise like

Started by Clownbaby, April 10, 2019, 11:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

St_Eddie

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 17, 2019, 08:01:07 PM
I think GTA and Shenmue are comparable.

They are both life simulations to a degree (though the further game technology progresses, the less meaning and distinction that title has) but the core experience couldn't be anymore different between the two.  They're completely different genres; one is a sedate adventure game of exploration and the other is a raucous action based sandbox game.

QDRPHNC

St_Eddie

Ferris

Quote from: QDRPHNC on April 17, 2019, 08:11:40 PM
From Carousel Bakery? Lucky git.

Carousel for custard tarts, but the superior absurd bacon sandwich is from Paddingtons in the north west corner. They tend to give you extra bacon if you tip well, or if they keep you waiting, or if they're bored.

I tipped well, was stuck behind 2 Mexican tourists so had to wait a bit, and the staff looked bored as fuck so I lucked into the absolute bacon megaload.

Always wanted to go into the dive bar attached to the back of Paddingtons but never found an excuse. Next Toronto CaB meet?

QDRPHNC

Paddington's is great, but I find carousel a bit greasyer and nastier, which for me is a bonus.

You mean the Paddington Pump diner itself for a drink? Up for it!

madhair60

The level in Earthworm Jim 2 where you have to bounce the puppies on the marshmallow.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That reminds me of the submarine bit in the first Earthworm Jim. You have a tight time limit to navigate an underwater maze, but you also can't bash into the walls too many times or you die. Even replaying the game as an adult, I found it impossible.

Jerzy Bondov

To be honest most of Earthworm Jim and at least half of Earthworm Jim 2 is fussy and annoying. Still good though.

madhair60

I'd argue that EWJ 1 is near-flawless and its gameplay variation is more restrained, it's only 2 that goes overboard with the complete random bollocks.  I think there are three "traditional" platform shooter levels in the whole sequel!

Jerzy Bondov

Yeah but I can do them and I can't do EWJ1. Therefore it's bad.

St_Eddie

The first two Earthworm Jim games are great.  There is NO THIRD GAME IN SHITTY 3D!!!

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 18, 2019, 01:22:54 PM
The first two Earthworm Jim games are great.  There is NO THIRD GAME IN SHITTY 3D!!!

I think EWJ2 is an aesthetic triumph that absolutely falls off the gameplay log after the first stage and never really gets back on it. I'm like, ah, a timed stage where I'm digging (firing diagonally for about a minute at a time). Ah, I'm catching puppies on a marshmallow. Ah, a weird Lunar Lander clone. Ah, a shit level where I have to bounce a bomb across the stage in isometric 3D.

St_Eddie

Quote from: madhair60 on April 18, 2019, 02:44:03 PM
I think EWJ2 is an aesthetic triumph that absolutely falls off the gameplay log after the first stage and never really gets back on it. I'm like, ah, a timed stage where I'm digging (firing diagonally for about a minute at a time). Ah, I'm catching puppies on a marshmallow. Ah, a weird Lunar Lander clone. Ah, a shit level where I have to bounce a bomb across the stage in isometric 3D.

To be fair, I haven't played Earthworm Jim 2 since I was a kid, so my nostalgic memories may be well be playing havoc with my mind.

Moribunderast

Just started playing Watch Dogs 2. Enjoying it for the most part but have noticed the cars handle like crap. Imagine my joy when I encounter an early mission where you're being pursued by cop cars and helicopters on busy streets and you have to get away from them. The cars handle so poorly I just crash around like it's dodge-em cars. After finally losing the cops (after numerous attempts) I ended up accidentally driving into the water and the mission restarted at the beginning of the chase! If you can't make the driving fun or even acceptable don't base whole missions around it ye fools! It could be a game-breaker depending on the amount of driving required going forward.