Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fussy and annoying stages in games you otherwise like

Started by Clownbaby, April 10, 2019, 11:23:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Phil_A on April 10, 2019, 03:49:45 PM
The horse race against Ingo in Ocarina Of Time. Absolute torture to keep failing on the final stage and to then have to redo the entire sequence over again.

Trying to catch the fish in Twilight Princess on the wii was a pain in the arse and I still don't really know what I did to get it right.

Twed

Zetetic

Mostly non-incidental gameplay - that found in the main 'story' - in GTA3+ is terrible.

Cloud

Quote from: The Boston Crab on April 10, 2019, 11:29:06 AM
I adore Final Fantasy VII but hate the entire Golden Saucer section. At the time, the idea of minigames gave it a sense of freedom and depth and authenticity (you can actually play the arcade games!) but now it's a bloody awful section. It looks pretty good, certainly appropriately garish and there's some nice story touches in the hotel, but even just getting around with those pipes gets on my tits. The Chocobo racing is probably the nadir, though. Feels bad to say anything unkind about this game but it stands out in my mind.

I was going to mention the same game, but for me it'd be the Temple of the Ancients.  Tedious maze, too many random battles, and that bloody clock.

For VIII it'd be the dreaded desert prison

IX - probably the desert prison again (Kuja's place)

X - Blitzbollocks

X-2 - That bit towards the end where you're playing pianos to drop barriers or something, it was a bit ago but dragged too much

XII - All of the fucking thing.  Probably the big vast desert-type place but honestly there were a lot of places like that.

Nothing really stood out about XIII and I never completed any after that.

BeardFaceMan

wooders1978

Any game where you have to shoot from a moving vehicle - which seems to be most of them ;(

Clownbaby

Quote from: Chollis on April 10, 2019, 12:25:15 PM
GTA remote controlled anything, especially the RC plane cunt in San Andreas

and the people's favourite:

"All we had to do was follow the damn train CJ!"

edit: beat me to it

A lot of people seem to mention the train bit as being a really awkward one but it took me just a couple attempts first time playing, which is odd for me cause i am generally shit with motorbikes across the board

Ferris

Quote from: wooders1978 on April 10, 2019, 09:12:39 PM
Any game where you have to shoot from a moving vehicle - which seems to be most of them ;(

I really like those. Silly on-the-rails fun, helps break up the regular FPS game.

I wish studios still made light-gun peripherals and on-the-rails shooters. The House of the Dead series on Dreamcast was (and still is) a guilty pleasure. Especially all the silly unlockables and atrocious acting/dialogue/storyline.

BJBMK2

All silver coin challenges in Diddy Kong Racing.

So essentially 50% of Diddy Kong Racing.

St_Eddie

Quote from: Cloud on April 10, 2019, 08:55:22 PM
For VIII it'd be the dreaded desert prison

Yeah, that section does indeed suck.  Final Fantasy VIII is the weakest of the PSOne-era Final Fantasy games.  Final Fantasy VII is superb.   Final Fantasy IX is enjoyable but at the same time, somewhat unengaging.  Final Fantasy VIII stands among the black sheep of the PSOne family; it's a decent enough game but full of plotholes, annoying emo characters and arguably, extremely dubious battle mechanics.  Nonetheless, I love Final Fantasy VIII for its gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops and its phenomenal soundtrack (my goodness, the orchestral OST which I own is downright orgasmic).  The dessert prison section of Final Fantasy VIII is probably the weakest element of that particular game though, yeah.

Having said that, I'll always have a soft spot for Final Fantasy VIII, simply because I have a nostalgic attachment to it.  I have fond memories of reaching the maximum levels with all of the characters (level 99, 9999HP), across the Christmas period at my Aunt's house, back in 1999.  I consider such experiences, where I've mastered such games, to be some of my happiest gaming memories.  That's not a boast, I hasten to add.  Afterall, who would boast about such geekery?  I merely mean to say that a connection at that level with a game, tends to leave one feeling a little enamoured.  Having said that, such a feeling towards the game is entirely subjective.  Objectively, yeah, it's certainly a flawed game, to say the least.

Quote from: Cloud on April 10, 2019, 08:55:22 PM
Nothing really stood out about XIII and I never completed any after that.

XIII is a game comprised of fussy stages, that I'd otherwise care not to play.  In other words, it's shit.

BJBMK2

The water levels in Conkers Bad Fur Day.

The water levels in Metal Gear Solid 2.

The water levels in Super Mario Bros.

The water levels in Ocarina of Time.

The water levels in Majoras Mask.

The water levels in...

St_Eddie

Quote from: BJBMK2 on April 10, 2019, 11:26:02 PM
The water levels in Conkers Bad Fur Day.

The water levels in Metal Gear Solid 2.

The water levels in Super Mario Bros.

The water levels in Ocarina of Time.

The water levels in Majoras Mask.

The water levels in...

See also; sewer levels.  There's never been a good videogame level set within a sewer and if you think that there has, then you've imagined it and your brain is melting, whilst your mouth is frothing, because it did not happen.  Fact.

Cloud

The water levels in Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, etc.

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 10, 2019, 11:24:16 PM
Yeah, that section does indeed suck.  Final Fantasy VIII is the weakest of the PSOne-era Final Fantasy games.  Final Fantasy VII is superb.   Final Fantasy IX is enjoyable but at the same time, somewhat unengaging.  Final Fantasy VIII stands among the black sheep of the PSOne family; it's a decent enough game but full of plotholes, annoying emo characters and arguably, extremely dubious battle mechanics.  Nonetheless, I love Final Fantasy VIII for its gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops and its phenomenal soundtrack (my goodness, the orchestral OST which I own is downright orgasmic).  The dessert prison section of Final Fantasy VIII is probably the weakest element of that particular game though, yeah.

Having said that, I'll always have a soft spot for Final Fantasy VIII, simply because I have a nostalgic attachment to it.  I have fond memories of reaching the maximum levels with all of the characters (level 99, 9999HP), across the Christmas period at my Aunt's house, back in 1999.  I consider such experiences, where I've mastered such games, to be some of my happiest gaming memories.  That's not a boast, I hasten to add.  Afterall, who would boast about such geekery?  I merely mean to say that a connection at that level with a game, tends to leave one feeling a little enamoured.  Having said that, such a feeling towards the game is entirely subjective.  Objectively, yeah, it's certainly a flawed game, to say the least.

XIII is a game comprised of fussy stages, that I'd otherwise care not to play.  In other words, it's shit.

I pretty much  about 70-80% agree.  I liked VIII, and the emo mopey Squall, but I was an emo mopey cunt of about the same age at the time so could identify, and I liked how he gradually warmed up.  The airship (and its music, and how you get it) was the most badass of the series IMO.  Breaking the game was fun but oh so much drawing.

Very fond of IX though, and quite liked XIII despite the linearity and 80% of the game being tutorial, not one of my favourites though and I didn't care enough about it to finish XIII-2 (let alone -3)

Avril Lavigne

All of Bayonetta (that I have played so far since last week).

BJBMK2

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 10, 2019, 11:48:05 PM
See also; sewer levels.  There's never been a good videogame level set within a sewer and if you think that there has, then you've imagined it and your brain is melting, whilst your mouth is frothing, because it did not happen.  Fact.

Unrelated screenshot from Fuck You: The Game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

A game developed by nazi's intend on creating enough discord and confusion to break apart the civilized world.

- this review was brought to you by me at the age of 10.

St_Eddie

Quote from: BJBMK2 on April 10, 2019, 11:58:41 PM
A game developed by nazi's intend on creating enough discord and confusion to break apart the civilized world.

The Nazi's won, people.  The Nazi's won.  They did it through Chernobyl turtles and Nintendo.  A whole new generation of kids, indoctrinated.  We lost the war.  We lost the fucking war.

machotrouts

The music in the Crash Bandicoot 2 sewer levels is a rock solid jam so hoover that thought back into your brain.

I remember Sewer Speedway as being one of the more fun tracks in Crash Team Racing and all.

St_Eddie

Quote from: machotrouts on April 11, 2019, 01:11:14 AM
The music in the Crash Bandicoot 2 sewer levels is a rock solid jam so hoover that thought back into your brain.

Good music does not a good sewer level make.  It merely softens the blow.  There has never been an entertaining sewer level in a videogame.  That's been scientifically proven, several times over.  Fact.

Quote from: machotrouts on April 11, 2019, 01:11:14 AMI remember Sewer Speedway as being one of the more fun tracks in Crash Team Racing and all.

Funny the way that your mind can play tricks on you and alter your memories, isn't it?  I think that it's the mind's way of dealing with severe trauma.

Urinal Cake

St_Eddie

Glebe

Quote from: kalowski on April 10, 2019, 11:26:41 AMThe fucking Posion Ivy section in Arkham Asylum. Just terrible.

And, on a similar theme, the racing section on Arkham City. As I've said here before, if I wanted a racing game I'd have bought one.

I've not played Arkham Knight, but is that the one you mean by a racing bit? The part in the Ra's al Ghul trial in Arkham City where you have to dive during flight to gain height drove me a bit bonkers.

machotrouts

Now that I've mentioned Crash Bandicoot: the hidden crates at the beginning of the level Fumbling in the Dark, the difficulty of discovering them aside, require a couple of particularly fussy and annoying jumps. Last time I played the game all the way through, I think I died about 25 times in total, and 20 of those deaths were just from Crash bumping his head on an archway and awkwardly plopping into oblivion in this one specific bit. Those crates are only necessary for 100% completion – in fact, I think the entire level is optional – but it's the main thing standing between me and completing a no-death run, if for some reason I ever felt like that was a necessary thing to do.

St_Eddie

Achieving 100% competition on Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3 is a joy.  Doing the same for the first game is like bobbing for explosive apples in a vat of acid.

kalowski

Quote from: Glebe on April 11, 2019, 02:47:43 AM
I've not played Arkham Knight, but is that the one you mean by a racing bit? The part in the Ra's al Ghul trial in Arkham City where you have to dive during flight to gain height drove me a bit bonkers.
I'm getting them all mixed up. Which is the one where you are challenged by the Riddler to drive through a sewer (good point, At Eddie) in 3 minutes? Just a "fuck you, you can't play the rest of this game until you've done this" - and I'd already had to endure hours in the Bat-tank.

madhair60

Quote from: St_Eddie on April 11, 2019, 05:03:03 AM
Achieving 100% competition on Crash Bandicoot 2 & 3 is a joy.  Doing the same for the first game is like bobbing for explosive apples in a vat of acid.

Getting 100% in Crash 1 is an incredibly focused test of platforming skill, I find it a lot of fun! I love 2 as well but not 3, too much driving for me. And the relics are just a boring arseache.

Still, it's better than Wrath of Cortex. As is AIDS.

Timothy

Quote from: Twed on April 10, 2019, 06:48:10 PM
ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN, CJ

Indeed.

And the ''dungeons'' in Zelda BOTW. They all sucked.

Clownbaby

The sewer in Dead Island is crap and boring. Dead Island is such and flawed game but I have a soft spot for it, but not the sewer stages. They can fuck off. Another pet hate of mine is how a lot of games tend to start off in attractive locations and then get more brown/grey/sewer/industrial as the levels get harder, so there's a lot of games I've replayed up until the first grey level and then I just put it off

Clownbaby

I've always found all of the first Rayman fussy and annoying. Lovely to look at and basically a neat shot of nostalgia every time I switch it on, but I've ways been absolutely shit at it and can't get any further than maybe level 3 of Band Land because I just lose interest in trying.