Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:46:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

A picture of a hole

Started by biggytitbo, April 10, 2019, 02:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

I really want to throw a coin in.

Alberon

Ah, I think we've just encountered the middle of this conversation.

Twed

If I see one more "I fucking love science!" sap post a picture of the team behind the picture as if that means anything I'm going to go crazy. Also it's good that a woman lead this but constantly posting pictures of her and sharing her fucking Ted Talk is the same tedious "raising one already-successful woman to celebrity" neolib bullshit that we always default to when it comes to gender equality in STEM. Trying to make clebs out of women in science as if they're unicorns makes any attempt at normalising it as a career for women of all backgrounds fucking impossible.

You could throw in a coin, and wish for anything you want.

I'd wish for one more wish.

thenoise

<tag>lemme take a hole pic</tag>

Replies From View

Quote from: steve98 on April 10, 2019, 11:51:06 PM
That's your lot, what you see there; and isn't that just the event horizon pictured there? we don't get to see what's inside the event horizon, what actually constitutes the BH. Could be anything (Or nothing); it's certainly not going to be Kansas.

It depends if Kansas was sucked into the black hole, I suspect.

I'd absolutely love to see a highly compressed Kansas in a black hole.  I can think of hardly anything else that would be funnier.

Ray Travez

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 10, 2019, 02:19:50 PM
A hole - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-47873592

QuoteIt measures 40 billion km across - three million times the size of the Earth - and has been described by scientists as "a monster" 

Yeah, it's just the eye from the cover of REM's recently re-released ninth studio album, isn't it?

BlodwynPig

Ferris

Stolen directly from reddit

Blumf

hedgehog90

Did anyone watch the documentary about the massive blurry doughnut on BBC 4 last night?
They managed to produce a picture last year that looked almost exactly the same as this new one with the exact same dataset but that wasn't newsworthy for some reason. I guess they were holding out for the HD version before going public.
If anyone's interested, the doc mainly just consisted of Peter Capaldi narrating a sequence of crises that went as follows: some computers got too hot, a clock went wrong, and then they contemplated the lack of a feasible backup solution.
Edge of the seat, nail biting stuff.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 12, 2019, 03:07:39 AM
...the doc mainly just consisted of Peter Capaldi narrating a sequence of crises that went as follows: some computers got too hot, a clock went wrong, and then they contemplated the lack of a feasible backup solution.
Edge of the seat, nail biting stuff.

it's been better since moffat took over, hasn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: hedgehog90 on April 12, 2019, 03:07:39 AM
If anyone's interested, the doc mainly just consisted of Peter Capaldi narrating a sequence of crises that went as follows: some computers got too hot, a clock went wrong, and then they contemplated the lack of a feasible backup solution.

I somewhat suspect all these "crises" were things that had been anticipated and planned for and they were asked to play them up by the production team of the programme.

machotrouts

I don't care if it's I Fucking Love Science of me, I found the picture of the scientist sitting at her laptop delighted with her black hole snap positively heartwarming

Didn't stop me photoshopping Goatse into it, like, but

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Twed on April 11, 2019, 09:55:12 AM
If I see one more "I fucking love science!" sap post a picture of the team behind the picture as if that means anything I'm going to go crazy. Also it's good that a woman lead this but constantly posting pictures of her and sharing her fucking Ted Talk is the same tedious "raising one already-successful woman to celebrity" neolib bullshit that we always default to when it comes to gender equality in STEM. Trying to make clebs out of women in science as if they're unicorns makes any attempt at normalising it as a career for women of all backgrounds fucking impossible.

The flipside of this is a bunch of bellends on reddit have taken apart the commit history on github and reasoned she isn't the main contributor to the point that the bloke who did do the most commits told them to pack it in and stop being dicks.https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/status/1116518544961830918

Twed

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 14, 2019, 08:40:33 PM
The flipside of this is a bunch of bellends on reddit have taken apart the commit history on github and reasoned she isn't the main contributor to the point that the bloke who did do the most commits told them to pack it in and stop being dicks.https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/status/1116518544961830918
Yeah, I saw that. Sigh. What it really tells you is that the people who get angry about that sort of thing have never done anything themselves, because if they did they'd have a better understanding of how work is measured. It certainly isn't in commits/lines of code.

Sebastian Cobb

Good point, although I just took it as read that they were armchair scientists/developers; saved me some time.

Cloud

This is why we can't have nice things.

Every cool thing like this, gets drowned out by some shitty war of identity politics.  We had it the other way round with that comet landing a couple of years back and it was awful and unnecessary then too.

Sebastian Cobb

Is that the one where they guy controlling it got CANCELLED for wearing a garish shirt his mate had made?

Cloud

Aye that's the one.

This time it's actual sexists stirring things up, but still

Head Gardener