Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:12:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Meades on done a Brexit

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, April 10, 2019, 10:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

So 10 years after brexit their will be chaos, rampant racism etc etc etc, that's quite an original outlook, who new meades had it in him for a refreshing outlook, no one else could come up with that.

Sony Walkman Prophecies

Ohh, it's the sound of the establishment tickling each other and running away, dissing each other in Latin, leaving missives in each other's pigeonholes in intractable French argot. Can we get someone really smug and middleclass like Adam Curtis to join in and claim he's not posh and has actually identified as a Bristolian rapper for a good 10 years now? Maybe we can dig up AA Gill and get him to say nice things about multiculturalism from his home in the vibrant multicultural hub of Parsons Green, again.

idunnosomename

Jonathan Meades ate my balls!

hummingofevil

Quote from: idunnosomename on April 10, 2019, 11:24:12 PM
Jonathan Meades ate my balls!

Wrong. He would have slavishly gormandized one's mannish pudenda.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: hummingofevil on April 10, 2019, 11:28:55 PM
Wrong. He would have slavishly gormandized one's mannish pudenda.

Followed by arse gag told with Brummy accent.

Twit 2

I'm so glad this article is annoying people. Love Meades, the thinking man's Will Self.

pancreas

Far too drunk to actually read any of this bollocks but I expect it's largely sound. AMIRIGHT

thenoise

It's a very wordy way of saying not very much.

Twit 2

It's a piece of humour that will make po-faced gammons have a shit fit.

ajsmith2

Love his 'World of Norm' series.

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 11, 2019, 08:32:46 AM
It's a piece of humour that will make po-faced gammons have a shit fit.

Somebody somewhere in posh media land is doubting that brexit will have a successful outcome. Why I oughta...
Shakes gammon flavoured fist at liberals.

This is happening up and down the country as building sites draw to a halt for morning break, and out come the copies of the Guardian for the lads to get their teeth into.

Twit 2

Cuellar

Yeh but I've calmed down now.

What's that? Breaks over already?

But I was just about to read what Polly Toynbee reckons about all the racisms.

Cuellar

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on April 10, 2019, 10:47:44 PM
So 10 years after brexit their will be chaos, rampant racism etc etc etc, that's quite an original outlook, who new meades had it in him for a refreshing outlook, no one else could come up with that.
You appear to have reacted seriously to a humorous piece of writing. Bless. Who new ?

It may be a humorous piece but it'll make the gammonz SHIT BRICKS!!!

Cuellar

Twit 2

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on April 11, 2019, 09:49:31 AM
It may be a humorous piece but it'll make the gammonz SHIT BRICKS!!!

I know you're not a 'gammon' but I'd say it's exercised you somewhat. And take a look at the BTL comments for that piece, plenty of people jumping up and down, the same set who get outraged at Stewart Lee's similarly-worded windups.

I've not even read it. I was just amused by the idea of 'gammons' up and down the country being turned into, I dunno, tomatoes? because of a fairly obscure piece in a supposedly left wing broadsheet.
The Guardian is shit, basically, and like all print media it vastly overestimates its influence.

Twit 2

Yes, the Guardian is utter shit, but it has the occasional interesting writer. As I said, the Meades piece most closely resembles the ones that Lee writes, and it seems to have caused the same reaction. Of course, not 'up and down the land' but among the sort of centrists/right wingers who seem to make up most of the Graun's online readership.

pigamus

I used to love the man, but the brutalism film soured me on him considerably.

thenoise

Quote from: Twit 2 on April 11, 2019, 08:32:46 AM
It's a piece of humour

Unfortunately not the kind that actually provokes laughter and/or merriment.

jobotic

Quote from: solidified gruel merchant on April 11, 2019, 09:35:33 AM

Somebody somewhere in posh media land is doubting that brexit will have a successful outcome. Why I oughta...
Shakes gammon flavoured fist at liberals.

This is happening up and down the country as building sites draw to a halt for morning break, and out come the copies of the Guardian for the lads to get their teeth into.

Those stupid old builders probably can't even read. God I hate the working class, don't you?

Not 'hate' so much as doubt they all read the Guardian. Subtle difference, admittedly.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 11, 2019, 09:45:06 AM
You appear to have reacted seriously to a humorous piece of writing. Bless. Who new ?

oh no, I've been told I have the wrong opinion on the matter, how will I live this down

Shoulders?-Stomach!

So a bit like Lee and David Mitchell, Meades is better served presenting TV pieces, rather than writing columns!

Cuellar

GMTV

Quote from: pigamus on April 11, 2019, 10:23:42 AM
I used to love the man, but the brutalism film soured me on him considerably.

I loved that documentary on brutalism. If you were a fan of his surely it wouldn't have had such an impact to turn you against him. What was it that you disliked so much?