Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lunatics (New Chris Lilley show) April 19th

Started by Malcy, April 11, 2019, 02:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

The part with the big arse bloke harassing the girls in the nightclub was particularly unpleasant, mainly because there is no point or payoff to it. Chris Lilley just thinks it's hilarious and clever.

Moribunderast

As this opinion piece from Australia's 'The Age' newspaper explains, you'll all find that the show is actually brilliant - gradually revealing the humanity and vulnerability behind the wonderfully observed and realised characters.

Imagine writing down those character descriptions in an article where you're positing them as genius creations.

Natnar

Quote from: Dr Sanchez on April 25, 2019, 12:11:18 AM
The sweet student character who is 7ft+ is constantly bullied and physically injured but there's absolutely no pay off or humour in it..
I wonder if with that character he's just seen videos of Mandy Sellars a woman who actually has giant legs and thought "She looks funny i bet i can make a character like that, it'll be hilarious" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw8J3ieS4Jk

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I can't wait for his next creation: A character with delusions of grandeur, who uses what power they have to undermine and belittle those around them and attempt to elevate themselves.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 25, 2019, 07:53:16 AM
As this opinion piece from Australia's 'The Age' newspaper explains, you'll all find that the show is actually brilliant - gradually revealing the humanity and vulnerability behind the wonderfully observed and realised characters.

Imagine writing down those character descriptions in an article where you're positing them as genius creations.

That article's great. It's like she knows she has to say it's good for reasons totally unrelated to the quality of the finished product so she spends as much of the article as possible describing what is clearly an utter shitshow before quickly dumping some generic praise at the very end.

Then again, she also never stopped praising Please Like Me so maybe she just has very poor taste in comedy.

olliebean

I think the thing that bothers me most about Lilley is that a fair proportion of his work seems designed specifically to provide him with an excuse to spend a lot of time around attractive teenage girls.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Moribunderast on April 12, 2019, 10:35:16 AM

Full disclosure: as a redhead, I had never been mocked or bullied for my hair colour until SHH came out - then I started getting it from strangers on the street, at pubs - and Lilley really leant into that one, asked if he feels bad about perpetuating and celebrating bullying and basically laughing it off. So I may be personally biased against him on those grounds but I do genuinely think, on the basis that every show he's made is exactly the fucking same, that the guy is a hack.

EDIT TO ADD: Never forget when he posted this video online after an aboriginal child was run down by a cunt driver. The clip itself is indefensible but putting it up in the context of when he re-posted it is insanely cunty at worst and unfathomably dumb if I'm being charitable. SQUASHED NIGGA LOL

Fully fucking agreed as a fe;;pw redhead. I was 13 at the time it aired in the UK and I got absolutely shitrammed afterward. That and fucking South Park.