Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:01:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What sort of music is this I hear everywhere?

Started by ASFTSN, April 11, 2019, 10:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ASFTSN

Help an increasingly aging man identify a genre of music I hear all the time in public, and no-one seems to know what I'm talking about or ever to have heard it. Maybe I'm going mental. I characterise it by being/having:

• Loose, not particularly well crafted rapping (?) done by one vocalist rather than being done by a crew or having trade-offs
  • All autotune on the vocals, all the time
  • When I can make them out, passionless lyrics about fucking (distinctly remember trying not to laugh at the lyric 'I fuck her slowly then I speed up' I heard once)
  • Often has a heavy emphasis on the off beat in a dancehall/ska manner
  • Minimal percussion, often just a casio keyboard sounding drumbeat
  • Seems to have appeared in the last 10 years
  • Often played out of cars at high volume or 'sodcasted' on public transport

Norton Canes

I asked my kids (aged 15 and 19) much the same question. They told me it was called 'mumble rap'.

Norton Canes

Although, sometimes they call me 'mumble dad' so I think they might have been taking the piss.

ASFTSN

The Post Malone track and some of the stuff I briefly looked up when googling 'mumble rap' seem to kind of in the right area - but the music I've been hearing seems to be lower budget than that and...well, just a bit more annoying, repetitive and crap. Maybe that's just because I so often hear it through shite phone speakers.

buzby

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 11, 2019, 11:38:09 AM
The Post Malone track and some of the stuff I briefly looked up when googling 'mumble rap' seem to kind of in the right area - but the music I've been hearing seems to be lower budget than that and...well, just a bit more annoying, repetitive and crap. Maybe that's just because I so often hear it through shite phone speakers.
Cloud Rap, the chronological precursor to Mumble Rap?

ASFTSN

I don't know - all of this sounds too accomplished. If it's got actual rapping on it and doesn't sound like autotune diarrhea I don't think it's what I'm hearing. Most of this stuff sounds a bit like the vocalist is of latino origin too if that helps to narrow it down.

ASFTSN

The mumble dad stuff is the closest so far though I guess, just in terms of how shit it is.

madhair60

Icehaven

If it's that low budget and piss easy to produce, It's probably the work of whoever's phone or car you're hearing it blasting from, which is why they're so keen for everyone else to hear it.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: icehaven on April 11, 2019, 07:04:49 PM
If it's that low budget and piss easy to produce, It's probably the work of whoever's phone or car you're hearing it blasting from, which is why they're so keen for everyone else to hear it.

Yeah, the way it's described in the OP, that's all the characteristics of mumble rap, or trap at least. But chances are what you're hearing often enough is either the work of the person blasting it out, or it'll be some 22hr Spotify playlist that's chock full of any old pap (seeing as it's a genre that feels so disposable I doubt most of the people who enjoy it give a fuck about who it is they're listening to).

Man typing that made me feel like my dad

studpuppet

Quote from: ASFTSN on April 11, 2019, 10:11:27 AM
Johnny: help an increasingly ageing man identify a genre of music I hear all the time in public, and no-one seems to know what I'm talking about or ever to have heard it.

Nowhere Man

If I had a car I would blast out This Heat and The Residents

Quote from: icehaven on April 11, 2019, 07:04:49 PM
If it's that low budget and piss easy to produce, It's probably

SoundCloud Rap

www.gq.com/story/soundcloud-rap-boom-times

ASFTSN

Quote from: Better Midlands on April 12, 2019, 05:16:28 AM
SoundCloud Rap

www.gq.com/story/soundcloud-rap-boom-times

I think you've nailed it, although some of that article was pretty eye opening, fascinating and depressing. The Juice WRLD  and Matt Ox tracks in there are pretty much what I've been hearing, or as Nagsworth points out probably shovelware Soundcloud versions of. At least the Matt Ox stuff is literally made by a 14 year old child, it's got that as an excuse.

I'm glad I'm getting old.

Norton Canes

Ah, Gucci Gang, you should've said! My son has that on all the time. Gucci Gang Gucci Gang Gucci Gang

Dr Syntax Head

Gucci Gang is possibly one of the worst pieces of sound I have ever heard. And I've heard animals die

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on April 12, 2019, 10:10:14 AM
Gucci Gang is possibly one of the worst pieces of sound I have ever heard. And I've heard animals die

I like Gucci Gang, it's quite the earworm.