Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assange has been arrested

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 11, 2019, 10:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Just flashed up on the BBC News just now. No word on what the charges are. It's knocked Brexit off the top spot on the page.

steve98

biggytitbo

This has been in the works for a while, so they can deport him into an American torture prison for the rest of his life (the rape charges are a total red herring)

The way the UK press have treated Assange - a fellow journalist who has exposed grave war crimes and mass surveillance of the US, has been utterly shameful. The Guardian especially, are total cunts.

Fambo Number Mive

It's not a wind up, unless the BBC have decided to get involved: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47891737

Twed

Don't like Assange, but these things are absolutely done to send a message to us: don't ever try to expose powerful people, because you will be tortured.

The ones that break my heart are the Chelsea Manning and Reality Winner cases.

Cuellar

Maybe he shouldn't have raped that woman.

Twed

Quote from: Cuellar on April 11, 2019, 10:55:32 AM
Maybe he shouldn't have raped that woman.
That's not what this arrest is about.

biggytitbo

Assange has never attempted to avoid the rape charges in Sweden (of which he is innocent until proven guilty), he sort refuge to avoid been deported to an American torture prison for telling the truth about their war crimes.

Captain Z

But what does it sound like, Sean?

Urinal Cake

Assange did a favour to Trump in the expectation of a return. Assange also had to answer for his possible illegal sexual behaviour. He had some of the best (free) legal and practical help available and he still skipped out on bail.
He's an egoist nothing in the vein of Manning or even Snowden who operated out of the greater good or ideals. Frankly UK prison is still better than what Manning and Snowden have been put through. 

Cuellar

What's the charge?

edit: Failing to surrender to the court, right.

Cuellar

biggytitbo

The absolute madness on the news were they're discussing whether the UK will extradite Assange to the US or not, depending on whether he faces the death penalty (something that has been seriously argued by US official btw).

Assange is Australian, his actions happened outside of the US, what jurisdiction do the US have over him at all, let alone the threat of the death penalty? They should be told to go fuck the fuck off.

Cuellar

He should be extradited to Sweden.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

As if the forces involved actually want that rape trial, they just wanted the smear of it hanging over him to provoke an absence of public sympathy and outcry. (Not a very sympathetic character but that's besides the point)

Cuellar

Russia criticises arrest: "Disgraceful behaviour. Why didn't they just have him killed?"

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 11:11:01 AM
The absolute madness on the news were they're discussing whether the UK will extradite Assange to the US or not, depending on whether he faces the death penalty (something that has been seriously argued by US official btw).

Assange is Australian, his actions happened outside of the US, what jurisdiction do the US have over him at all, let alone the threat of the death penalty? They should be told to go fuck the fuck off.

Didn't Blair give America greater power for grabbing people in the UK back in the day?

Have I remembered that right?

kittens

why is julian assange like eldorado
they are both hidden in far flung parts of south america

sadly this joke is now out of date, and i only just made it up. fok's sake julian

Butchers Blind

Couldn't even be bothered to have a shave before the awaiting police and press.

Cuellar

QuoteThis is carefully phrased: Ecuador sought and received guarantees Assange wouldn't be extradited where he could face "torture or the death penalty".

That doesn't rule out US extradition – it just means the US would have to rule out the death penalty.

That's an easy guarantee for the UK to give, as it's essentially impossible for an EU country to extradite someone to face the death penalty under existing human rights law anyway.

If only they could have held off until we were liberated from the shackles of the EU, then we could have packed him off to the US no problem.

Urinal Cake

From memory UK -> Sweden -> US
something from a quick Google search https://www.aklagare.se/en/nyheter--press/media/the-assange-matter/kan-assange-utlamnas-fran-sverige-till-usa/

QuoteOnce the British authorities enforce the UK Supreme Court's decision to extradite Julian Assange to Sweden, Sweden is bound by the so-called "Doctrine of Speciality" which means that Sweden cannot extradite him further to a third country, for example the USA, without permission from the UK. This means that Julian Assange would be in the same position in Sweden as he would be in the UK with regard to further extradition to a third country.

This is obviously political rather than the concerns of the victim. Hence after 'helping' Trump he's lost a lot of goodwill from the left rather than after the initial allegation of rape.

I've never quite understood why him revealing callous, cold-blooded murder in Iraq was considered a greater crime than the actual murders themselves.

Jittlebags

So that where Buster Merryfield disappeared to.

Blumf

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 11, 2019, 11:23:52 AM
This is obviously political rather than the concerns of the victim. Hence after 'helping' Trump he's lost a lot of goodwill from the left rather than after the initial allegation of rape.

Methinks you perhaps don't know much about the charges...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assange_v_Swedish_Prosecution_Authority
QuoteOn 20 August 2010, two women, a 26-year-old living in Enköping and a 31-year-old living in Stockholm, jointly went to the Swedish police not seeking to bring charges against Assange but in order to track him down and persuade him to be tested for sexually transmitted diseases after their separate sexual encounters with him. The police told them that they could not simply tell Assange to take a test, but that their statements would be passed to the prosecutor. Later that day, the duty prosecutor ordered the arrest of Julian Assange on the suspicion of rape and molestation.

It's all politics.

Twed

I'm firmly in the Ash Sarkar camp on this one (and most stuff, it seems):

https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1116288003524190209

QuoteJust sayin' it's possible to think that Julian Assange is a definite creep, a probable rapist, a conspiracist whackjob *and* that his arrest has incredibly worrying implications for the treatment of those who blow the whistle on gross abuses of state power.

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 11, 2019, 11:20:17 AM
Couldn't even be bothered to have a shave before the awaiting police and press.

The beard is deliberate. The more fucked he looks, the better the optics. He's no fool.

I don't like Assange at all. He seems like a cunt. But he's never published anything that wasn't true. I don't think people should go to prison for publishing the truth. If a European government puts him in a position where he'll be imprisoned for telling the truth that powerful people don't want us to know, it's an absolute disgrace. It would be fucking indecent, and prove to all of us that the American government have their grubby hands wrapped around our necks, and the necks of the usually sensible people of Sweden, ready to exert pressure whenever they deem it necessary.

If he goes to prison for sexually assaulting two women then obviously that's a good thing. The two things should not be conflated.

This is the problem that public figures face. Everyone has to be all good, or all bad. A hero or a villain. But people aren't like that.

It's hard to see otherwise liberal people cheering his detention because they don't like him as a human being, or they don't like the deplorable shit that he has been accused of doing in his spare time. Just because someone is a dick, it isn't an excuse to abandon all morality about the way they are treated.

Urinal Cake

If it's all politics you'd have to believe that the victims were politically motivated from the start. From what I remember the victims' complaint was since Assange did not use protection despite the victims asking him to. Asking police to track down Assange to take a STD test does not strike me as purely political unlike a honeytrap or an outright allegation of rape. Further, while the Prosecution may have been later motivated by international politics, from what I remember the Prosecution also wanted to use Assange as a test case to test Sweden's then progressive new laws regarding sexual consent, rape etc. 

Assange if he's going to US prison is fucked and he doesn't deserve that. But on the other hand Assange being accused of a crime, then going into exile, then helping Trump 'win' but then Trump still turning on him is something of a Greek play.

greenman

In terms of politics as well I think Ecuador under Moreno has clearly shifted back towards the right and close ties with the US so his continued protection was always questionable.

KennyMonster

biggytitbo

All the news reporting so far is shit, they are conveniently overlooking the fact the UN report last year declared that Assange was not hiding in a cupboard, he was been arbitrarily detained by the UK authorities.

I still don;t understand what jurisdiction the US have over an Australian man that has committed no crime in the US.