Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assange has been arrested

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 11, 2019, 10:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazooka

I think Cumberbatch should take the fall for this.

biggytitbo

Quote from: jobotic on April 11, 2019, 02:15:25 PM
I know, it makes no sense. The Guardian are evil,its been declared earlier in the thread.

Yeah, the guardian have only spent the last 5 years dumping on Assange like a spurned lover. The way they in particular have behaved towards him has been absolutely despicable, but the whole British press should hang its head in shame for essentially launching a sustained attack on press freedoms because it suits them.

BlodwynPig

Its heartwarming to see so many fellow travellers hoping for the escalation of western war-machine imperialism in perpetuity.

Bence Fekete

'He might be a rapist, but... ' :   yeah he's not a rapist though is he?  The alleged victim tweeted 'I was not raped'. 

It's a fractal of school, prison etc.  If you grass, snitch or rat on anyone important enough you are to be made aware the consequences of doing so will be far far worse than the punishment administered for the original sin.  Shut your fucking mouth and be quiet.  Free press, more-or-less.  Chinese social media contracts.  Invisible wars nobody talks about.  Trump is very far from peak cunt.

Ferris

He was an Ecuadorian citizen on Ecuadorian soil - how are they allowing him to be extradited to [UK/Sweden/USA] if they don't know what he's being charged with or where he's being jetted off to?

This all seems very odd.

rjd2

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/1116336550873317377

fucking hell.

Wonderful to watch those who moan about the death of democracy when Trump tweets mean things about journalists relatively subdued  and happy to back the likes of Pompeo, Barr, Bolton all fine upstanding men of the American establishment.

Well that 4D-Chess plan to help elect a fascist government controlled by army generals and a buffoon desperate to prove he didn't collude with Russia sure backfired.

Who could have predicted?!

biggytitbo

The fact the rape allegations are irrelevant to the issue at stake never seems to escape the UK press, who continually use it as an excuse to dump on a man who exposed US war crimes, and thus by proxy press freedom itself. But it never ever seems to apply to the Guardian, who did exactly the same thing as Assange did, before they viciously turned on him and turned his plight into a big joke, someone to snark and snipe at because he's 'hiding in a cupboard'.

MojoJojo

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 11, 2019, 03:03:25 PM
He was an Ecuadorian citizen on Ecuadorian soil - how are they allowing him to be extradited to [UK/Sweden/USA] if they don't know what he's being charged with or where he's being jetted off to?

This all seems very odd.

It's not that complicated. He's being arrested for breaking bail.

Ferris

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 11, 2019, 03:08:57 PM
It's not that complicated. He's being arrested for breaking bail.

I'm a Canadian citizen in Canada - you can't come over here and arrest me without extradition paperwork being filed, and I have a right to challenge that. I get to see the charges against me and I get legal representation. I shouldn't get the local dignitary to show the foreign rozzers into my house and allow them to remove me. On what grounds can the ambassador do that?

He was an Ecuadorian who was (legally) in Ecuador. If he was hiding out in a room above a pub in Hackney, I'd agree with you. He wasn't, and that matters.

MojoJojo

The Ecuadorians chucked him out - have you actually read the story?

(the idea that embassies are legally a different country isn't really true, btw)

BlodwynPig

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 11, 2019, 03:20:11 PM

(the idea that embassies are legally a different country isn't really true, btw)

You will take your rightful place in the broom cupboard of The New World Order HQ.

Replies From View

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 03:25:53 PM
You will take your rightful place in the broom cupboard of The New World Order HQ.

They kindly provide a slightly mouldy Gordon the Gopher puppet if you want to reminisce.

Quote from: MojoJojo on April 11, 2019, 03:20:11 PM

What about that time I put on a Schteeve McClaren accent and lit up a fat doobie outside the Dutch embassy and suffered no penalty AT ALL?

Deluded soy boy CRUSHED. Get cucked, libtard.

biggytitbo

The US have been working on the Ecuadorians for a while to soften them up (I'm sure there were 'incentives'), and now they've relented, thrown Assange to the wolves and severely undermined the principle of political asylum in the process. The only crime he is actually liable for is a relatively minor bail offence with mitigating circumstances that would get most people a fine and a non custodial sentence.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 03:31:06 PM
The US have been working on the Ecuadorians for a while to soften them up (I'm sure there were 'incentives'), and now they've relented, thrown Assange to the wolves and severely undermined the principle of political asylum in the process. The only crime he is actually liable for is a relatively minor bail offence with mitigating circumstances that would get most people a fine and a non custodial sentence.

The Trump administration, to be specific.

Assange obviously shouldn't be prosecuted at all, but there's a sad irony here.

Dr Sanchez

He's out just in time to work on his summer tan, which I have to say is much needed as he has the complexion of a custard cream.

biggytitbo

What is it about the UK press that they find a journalist imprisoned in a room for 7 years for daring to expose US war crimes, his physical and mental health destroyed, so utterly hilarious?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 04:11:57 PM
What is it about the UK press that they find a journalist imprisoned in a room for 7 years for daring to expose US war crimes, his physical and mental health destroyed, so utterly hilarious?

They are human, sadly

Short sharp shock required to wipe the smug grins off their entitled coked up faces

biggytitbo

Quote from: BlodwynPig on April 11, 2019, 05:02:47 PM
They are human, sadly

Short sharp shock required to wipe the smug grins off their entitled coked up faces

If by the microscopic chance they ever write anything that challenges power, rather than act as a stenongrapher for it, they'll probably find it less funny when they become targets for it's spite and vengeance and all their colleagues just stand around, pointing and laughing.

Zetetic

Whatever you think of the bloke personally or his political actions, a miserable resolution.

Easy to suggest this with hindsight, but I suspect he'd have been better off - in various ways - getting himself into Swedish custody years ago (noting the risks involved with this).

Squink

Quote"I know nothing about WikiLeaks," Trump said in the Oval Office, according to a White House pool report. "It's not my thing."

Brutal.

BlodwynPig

Bence Fekete

Quote from: Zetetic on April 11, 2019, 05:42:15 PMEasy to suggest this with hindsight, but I suspect he'd have been better off - in various ways - getting himself into Swedish custody years ago (noting the risks involved with this).

Not sure.  You could argue that the West was still in such violent denial at the time (regarding Iraq) that he would've had a much harsher time of it in that atmosphere.  Also, remember, he was willing to surrender to due process if only they could guarantee non-extradiction.  But they couldn't do that, could they?  Because it was never about the women, and the whole situation was designed to be lose-lose-lose. 

He must've been advised that the Swedish charges would burn off in time and then he could fight the UK/US one-on-one, as it were.  Although these days even the left have turned on him after Clinton so what kind of public hearing he'll get is just as uncertain.

biggytitbo

Assange couldn't be sure the Swedes wouldn't hand him over to the Americans so they could dump him in a torture prison, that is the whole point of the last 7 years.

Zetetic

And nor he could he be sure that today wasn't coming, which was a large part of my point.

(And it has come.)

(Staying in the Embassy involved betting - at best - that the UK would relent before Ecuador did. Which with hindsight seems like a poor bet.)

Flouncer

I suppose what Zetetic was getting at is, he might have had a better time of it under Obama; for instance it might have transpired that he got locked up for a few years then was pardoned like Chelsea Manning (whose recent treatment treatment suggests a harder line is being taken now that Trump is in office). Of course this is highly debateable, as Zetetic acknowledged.

Fake edit, the Z-man replied but I'm posting this anyway.

Zetetic

More broadly, he might have had a better time of it:
a) In the hands of the Swedes (assuming he got that far).
b) In the context of the sexual offence charges, rather than the current situation. (And I might even suggest there's a moral high ground here.)
c) Under the previous British and American governments (without pretending that they were something that they weren't).
d) Holding the citizenship of at least one country with an interest in sympathy towards him (in contrast to none).

But I've acknowledged that this is with hindsight, and I'll admit that I've never been holed up in an embassy under similar circumstances having to weigh my options.