Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:50:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Assange has been arrested

Started by Fambo Number Mive, April 11, 2019, 10:40:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggytitbo

Who knows what he was thinking at the time, but I believe just before his decision was made Sweden was involved in a very dodgy extradition that may have influenced him. Also remember, hard as it is to believe now, but before Trump Obama had an awful record in persecuting and prosecuting journalists and whistleblowers. I guess in the short term he thought it was worth hiding and hoping it would blow over than risking quantanamo.

Squink

Quote from: Zetetic on April 11, 2019, 07:58:29 PMI'll admit that I've never been holed up in an embassy under similar circumstances having to weigh my options.

Could you arrange for this to happen and then report back to us? Cheers.

Flouncer

So-called centrists like Obama and Hillary are just as keen as anybody on being able to engage in imperialistic wars without scrutiny. I'm not sure what the reason for Chelsea Manning's release was - it certainly surprised me at the time. I doubt Assange would be in any better a position had Hillary had won the election.

rjd2

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1116424423953903616

Great tweet from Corbyn.

Others have condemned today but tried to have it both ways with "look he is a piece of shit,,,but". etc.

a duncandisorderly

if only he hadn't've been such a vain, attention-seeking messiah type, then we might still be able to benefit from the valuable scoops he & his colleagues unearthed.

I don't know if he was a cock-monster or not, but that whole swedish episode exploited an unfortunate aspect of his persona, an achilles' heel, if you will.
that pulitzer or whatever it was went straight to his trousers.

biggytitbo

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on April 11, 2019, 09:03:03 PM
if only he hadn't've been such a vain, attention-seeking messiah type, then we might still be able to benefit from the valuable scoops he & his colleagues unearthed.

I don't know if he was a cock-monster or not, but that whole swedish episode exploited an unfortunate aspect of his persona, an achilles' heel, if you will.
that pulitzer or whatever it was went straight to his trousers.

Even if all of that was true its totally and utterly irrelevant.

That Corbyn tweet is indeed perfect, no conditions needed, Assange is a journalist being persecuted for publishing the truth about us war crimes, whilst the British media point and laugh at him. His extradition should be resisted at all costs.

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 08:07:16 PM
Who knows what he was thinking at the time, but I believe just before his decision was made Sweden was involved in a very dodgy extradition that may have influenced him. Also remember, hard as it is to believe now, but before Trump Obama had an awful record in persecuting and prosecuting journalists and whistleblowers. I guess in the short term he thought it was worth hiding and hoping it would blow over than risking quantanamo.

Quantanamera?

Urinal Cake

Trump is such a great cartoon villain. Too bad Assange is a graphic novel hero.

With this Supreme Court, Assange is fucked. Further I doubt many great US lawyers are falling over themselves to work pro bono. Normally you'd think with First Amendment and journalistic protections he had a good case.

This is about embarrassment and revenge on part of the US military. And Assange had been the co-author of his demise.

Crisps?

Quote from: Flouncer on April 11, 2019, 08:42:25 PMI'm not sure what the reason for Chelsea Manning's release was

A fuck you to Trump, like abstaining in a UN vote about Israel (also a fuck you to Netanyahu).

jobotic

No way this gonna backfire? Trump loved him because he had shit on Hilary. Now he's disowned him isn't any shit he has on Trump likely to surface?

steve98

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 11, 2019, 01:01:32 PM
Who's going to look after his cat now?

Eva? Don't cry for her she'll be fine.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: jobotic on April 11, 2019, 10:09:58 PM
No way this gonna backfire? Trump loved him because he had shit on Hilary. Now he's disowned him isn't any shit he has on Trump likely to surface?
After Mueller, I'm not sure what could destabalise Trump.

petril

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 11, 2019, 11:02:34 PM
After Mueller, I'm not sure what could destabalise Trump.

a flight of stairs

Fambo Number Mive

Urinal Cake

Quote from: petrilTanaka on April 11, 2019, 11:10:43 PM
a flight of stairs
Luckily as with Assange he has May's hand to help him.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 11, 2019, 09:37:14 PM

Even if all of that was true its totally and utterly irrelevant.......whilst the British media point and laugh at him. His extradition should be resisted at all costs.

non sequitur. the case in sweden & the effect it's had on how he is viewed by the media, & thence by the public, undermines the support he may have vis a vis his extradition to the US.
you may wish it was irrelevant, but it so clearly is not.

hummingofevil

I'm genuinely baffled by all of this. Anyone?

1. At what point did Wikileaks splinter from The Guardian and New York Times. When did the good guys become the bad guys by splitting with each other.

2. When did Assange decide that endorsing Trump and palling up to Farage was a good idea? What the hell was going on there?

3. What was the motivation for the initial Manning leak? How did Assange coordinate this / make contact / etc?

4. Was the focus always on the likes of Hillary and if so is there any evidence that Wikileaks was / is sitting on data leaks from other governments / republicans / etc?

5. Was Assange's motivation in helping Trump simply a case of him hating Obama and Hillary over their response to the leak and if so has this spectacularly backfired?

6. If Wikileaks has helped Trump is the only reason Trump is not interested in helping Assange now that it is dirt that will stick on Trump?

7. Who is actually responsible for these type of prosecutions? State department? Are there indictments out on Assange and if so is this entirely separate from any possible influence from the White House executive?

8. What was Assange actually alleged to have done? If Joe Biden is on one end of the pervert scale and Jimmy Savile on the other where is Assange? A Weinstein? A Rolf?

9. Is this Swedish stuff linked to the concept of the european arrest warrant and european courts and if so how would Brexit affect this (what protections or otherwise are we losing/gaining from extradition to the US post-Brexit). Why was it easier to extradite Assange from Sweden over the UK when the UK government is pro-US on this matter? What legislation was in place to protect Assange from extradition to US from UK?

--

Take your time. :)

BlodwynPig

From your post he sounds like the real world Biggy...

mothman

hummingofevil

Having spent the last couple of hours reading about all this I am still none the wiser about what I think about this. What I have realised though is how I form my political opinions. My default approach is to listen to what the worst types of cunts think about anything then think the opposite; I'm actually quite embarrassed yet relieved that my thought processes are so simple.

Unfortunately this doesn't apply in this case as their seem to be alliances of all varieties of awful cunts on both sides of the argument. The hottest take that has really thrown it open is the usual #FBPE types cheerleading for Assange's extradition in opposition to the Labour front bench's comments that he is a whistleblower and should be protected from a US show trial. Miraculously, yet unsurprisingly this once again, somehow, is all Corbyn's fault.

biggytitbo

Both Chelsea Manning and Assange now in jail, whilst George Bush is rehabilitaed as a cute, spaniel painting statesman and Tony Blair is a multimillionaire on telly every night trying to stop brexit.

Iraq, the war crime that never stops giving.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 12, 2019, 07:14:24 AM
Both Chelsea Manning and Assange now in jail, whilst George Bush is rehabilitaed as a cute, spaniel painting statesman and Tony Blair is a multimillionaire on telly every night trying to stop brexit.

Iraq, the war crime that never stops giving.
Can't wait to see people try to disagree with this.

Urinal Cake

Quote from: Twed on April 12, 2019, 07:16:27 AM
Nobody would disagree with this. The question is does Assange deserve a pass for the greater good.

greenman

Quote from: Urinal Cake on April 12, 2019, 08:46:18 AM
Nobody would disagree with this. The question is does Assange deserve a pass for the greater good.

The question would also seem to be exactly what his faults really are.

Paul Calf

Why would anyone disagree with that? There's barely anything to disagree with.

Neville Chamberlain

I disagree with the lack of a hyphen between "spaniel" and "painting".

biggytitbo

Quote from: greenman on April 12, 2019, 09:06:55 AM
The question would also seem to be exactly what his faults really are.

Or whether they're really relevant to US warcrimes.

Just seen Bernard Jenkins say Assange should be extradited because he is a 'traitor'. How can an Australian be a traitor to America? The funny thing is if Assange has exposed Russian warcrimes everyone would be saying how great he is and giving him a million pounds, rather than joking that he's a creep who smells bad and he needs to die the cunt.

Its realy two minutes hate stuff, the kind of bile in the press about him.

Buelligan

Quote from: biggytitbo on April 12, 2019, 09:18:04 AM
Just seen Bernard Jenkins say Assange should be extradited because he is a 'traitor'. How can an Australian be a traitor to America?

Is it possible he's a traitor to Oceania?  I think that's it in a nutshell. 

Odd isn't it, a big sticking point for many on the EU was the idea of an EU Army and yet, of course, we've already sleep-walked into a secret and far larger state, prosecuting wars and trading arms all over the planet without so much as a vote being cast. 

Assange's crucifixion is just one more small cherry on the top.

I love Corbyn, btw.

Absorb the anus burn

INFORMATION IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN PROVIDED BY WIKILEAKS:

- It was official government policy to ignore torture in Iraq.

- U.S. officials were told to cover up evidence of child abuse by contractors in Afghanistan. 

- Known Egyptian torturers received training from the FBI in Quantico, Virginia.

- The Obama Administration allowed Yemen's President to cover up a secret U.S. drone bombing campaign.

- The U.S. Army considered WikiLeaks a national security threat as early as 2008, according to documents obtained and posted by WikiLeaks in March, 2010.

- Then-Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and his top commanders repeatedly, knowingly lied to the American public about rising sectarian violence in Iraq beginning in 2006.

-  Of the 500 or so tactical nuclear weapons in the U.S. arsenal, it is known that about 200 are deployed throughout Europe.

- Guantanamo prison has held mostly innocent people and low-level operatives.

- There IS (despite government claims to the opposite) an official tally of civilian deaths in Iraq and Afghanistan.

- US Military officials withheld information about the indiscriminate killing of Reuters journalists and innocent Iraqi civilians.

- The Obama administration worked with Republicans during his first few months in office to protect Bush administration officials facing a criminal investigation overseas for their involvement in establishing policies that some considered torture.

- A U.S. Army helicopter allegedly gunned down two journalists in Baghdad in 2007. WikiLeaks posted a 40-minute video on its website in April, showing the attack in gruesome detail, along with an audio recording of the pilots during the attack.

- The State Department backed corporate opposition to a Haitian minimum wage law.

- US authorities failed to investigate hundreds of reports of abuse, torture, rape and even murder by Iraqi police and soldiers whose conduct appears to be systematic and normally unpunished.. US special-operations forces have targeted militants without trial in secret assassination missions, and many more Afghan civilians have been killed by accident than previously reported, according to the WikiLeaks Afghanistan war document dump.

- The U.S. Government had long been faking its public support for Tunisian President Ben Ali.