Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:59:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

similar sounding songs

Started by european son, February 24, 2004, 03:20:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

european son

i don't just mean an obvious lift (like the Beatles' aaaah aaaah aaaaahs at the end of She's Electric), but songs that you suddenly realise just sound like a song you've heard before. not ripoffs necessarily, just a similarity in style.

i was just listening to a great Six By Seven bootleg of a gig they did in Nottingham touring The Things We Make and realised how familiar IOU Love sounded.

then it clicked, it sounds a lot like Under The Milky Way Tonight by The Church, which was on the Donnie Darko.

not the instruments (IOU Love is loaded with harsh key stabs), but something in the melody and structure.... the way it builds up.

Six By Seven - IOU Love

The Church - Under The Milky Way Tonight

or am i just being silly and should i go to sleep?

Entropy Balsmalch

The current Kylie song Red Blooded Women is clearly a hybrid of Survivor by Destiny's Child and Cry Me A River by Justin Timberlake.

morgs

U2 - Beautiful Day

Very similar build up to

Aha - The Sun always shines on tv

And I always thought that Queen - Breakthru sounded a bit like 'Boys of Summer' by Don Henley...

best batch yet

the beginings of Captain Beefheart - Hothead, and Television - Friction

Amon Duul II - Restless Skylight-Transistor-Child/Landing (about 12 minutes in) and Muse - Newborn

and of course Wire - Three Girl Rhumba, and Elastica - Connection, beyond all reasonable doubt, I don't know how they thought they could get away with that

TraceyQ

Quote from: "best batch yet"
and of course Wire - Three Girl Rhumba, and Elastica - Connection, beyond all reasonable doubt, I don't know how they thought they could get away with that

Because Frischmann et al were so deluded about the level of their own coolness they foolishly thought no one else had ever heard of Wire.

european son

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
Quote from: "best batch yet"

Because Frischmann et al were so deluded about the level of their own coolness they foolishly thought no one else had ever heard of Wire.

petty i know, but when i used to indie-DJ at my old uni i used to take special pleasure in playing Three Girl Rhumba to confuse/annoy people. and also cos i love Wire and like to play short dancey songs.

TraceyQ

Quote from: "european son"petty i know, but when i used to indie-DJ at my old uni i used to take special pleasure in playing Three Girl Rhumba to confuse/annoy people. and also cos i love Wire and like to play short dancey songs.

European Son. Too Cool For School.

Des Nilsen

'The Dope Show' by Marilyn Manson has a similar throbbing feel to Iggy Pop's 'Night Clubbing'.

Also, 'Mother' by Pink Floyd and a few other bits and pieces on 'The Wall' are similar to songs found on Roger Waters' 'The Pros & Cons Of Hitchhiking' album, simply because he wrote the two main bodies of material around the same time.
The F & C middle/ending to 'Apparently They Were Travelling Abroad' could easily slip into 'Mother'.
There are also riffs repeating themselves (though that's veering off topic) on TPACOHH such as the 'In The Flesh' riff and a melody from 'The Fletcher Memerial Home'.

-

european son

Quote from: "TraceyQ"
European Son. Too Cool For School.

don't ya know it. in case there was any doubt here's another of my DJing faves

Jimmy

Quote from: "morgs"
And I always thought that Queen - Breakthru sounded a bit like 'Boys of Summer' by Don Henley...

Absolutely. Its the bit..

"If I could only reach you, if I could make you smile"

thats sounds like

" I can see you, brown skin shining in the sun"*

This may be the lyric from the cover version and incorrect, but the tunes still the same.

another Mr. Lizard

Well, Mark E. Smith is always accusing people of ripping off The Fall, which makes it rather ironic that 'Athlete Cured' from 'The Frenz Experiment' resembles Spinal Tap's 'Tonight I'm Gonna Rock You Tonight'.

At Xmas, a friend played me her new ringtone and asked me to guess what it was. It was obviously a seasonal choice  - 'The Holly And The Ivy', I ventured. Only to be informed that I was wrong, and it was in fact 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love'...

Bilko

The first two lines of Interpol - Say Hello To Angels sound exactly like The Smiths - This Charming Man. So much as when I listen to the Interpol song I hum in my head 'I would go out tonight but I haven't got a stitch to wear.....'

Vermschneid Mehearties

The Superjesus- Gravity.

The chorus is sung in exactly the same manner of Madonna's 'Like a Prayer'.

I even piss my brother off by singing 'no end and no beginning' over it.

My ex pointed out the similarity, which I had not previously spotted, between "Shpadoinkle day" from Cannibal The Musical and "The Ink is Black, the Page is White" from infant school assemblies.

gazzyk1ns

The chorus of 'Fight Test' by The Flaming Lips sounds like 'Father and Son' by... I've forgotten again, whoever Boyzone covered.

'Hero' by NIckelback is clearly a rip-off of 'Kiss From A Rose' by Seal, sing the lyrics of one to the chorus from the other, replace the word "hero" with "kiss from" or vice-versa.

According to a mate, 'M62 Song' by The Doves sounds like another really good song, although he can't remember which. Anyone?

Vermschneid Mehearties

Quote'Hero' by NIckelback is clearly a rip-off of 'Kiss From A Rose' by Seal, sing the lyrics of one to the chorus from the other, replace the word "hero" with "kiss from" or vice-versa.

Shit! Thanks for alerting me to that. I don't know how I missed that at the time.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"There are also riffs repeating themselves (though that's veering off topic) on TPACOHH such as the 'In The Flesh' riff and a melody from 'The Fletcher Memerial Home'.
Eh?  Can't see that one, BUT the one on The Final Cut that leapt out at me was the similarity of the last section of the song "The Final Cut" (the bit that goes "Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings / thought I ought to tear the curtain down") with the chorus of "Comfortably Numb".  The string arrangement in particular is *very* similar.

Ambient Sheep

"If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next" by Manic Street Preachers sounds very much like the chorus (or is it the middle-eight?) of "Duchess" by the Stranglers ("And the Rodneys are queueing up, God forbid.").  It leapt out at me immediately the first time I heard it; I believe they paid out in the end.

And as for "Style" by Orbital, I can only think that New Order were very nice chaps (and chapesse) not to sue for the borrowing of "Your Silent Face".  The melody is *identical*, as is much of the harmony underneath it.  My jaw just dropped.

Des Nilsen

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Des Nilsen"There are also riffs repeating themselves (though that's veering off topic) on TPACOHH such as the 'In The Flesh' riff and a melody from 'The Fletcher Memerial Home'.
Eh?  Can't see that one, BUT the one on The Final Cut that leapt out at me was the similarity of the last section of the song "The Final Cut" (the bit that goes "Thought I ought to bare my naked feelings / thought I ought to tear the curtain down") with the chorus of "Comfortably Numb".  The string arrangement in particular is *very* similar.

I hadn't spotted that CN similarity. I think as a vague sidenote and another thread contribution I ought to say that there's some intrumental soundtrack music on Micheal Mann's 'Manhunter' (during the scene where Graham realizes Dollarhyde uses the films to pick his victims) that is both similar in dynamics and style to CN.
It seemed closer the first time I noticed it, but has paled a little since.

Those riff/melody repeats are as follows:

The 'In The Flesh' riff appears at 02:53 in 'Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin'.
The chorus melody from 'TFMH' appears at 01:20 in 'Go Fishing'.

-

boki

There was a single by Will Young or somebody like him that seemed to owe quite a bit to 'My Way' (the crooners' standard not the Limp Bizkit tantrum) without actually sounding like it per se, but further detail mercifully eludes me.

Oh, and Billy Joel stirred Ravel's Bolero-flavour porridge in his Uptown Girl.

dan dirty ape

Justine's teefing habits must have rubbed off on her ex-beau. Blur's 'MOR' is virtually Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' with different words. Hang on...sometimes not even different words.

Bowie: 'Boys will...work it out!'

Damon: 'You, me, we'll....work it out!'

Put down your little ukelele and get ahhhhht, Albarn!

Tokyo Sexwhale

Taxman - The Beatles and Start - The Jam.  Although the latter may have been a deliberate homage.

And "Forget about You" by The Motors sounds EXACTLY like the theme to Grandstand.

european son

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Justine's teefing habits must have rubbed off on her ex-beau. Blur's 'MOR' is virtually Bowie's 'Boys Keep Swinging' with different words. Hang on...sometimes not even different words.

true, so much so the song has an eno/bowie writing credit, a bit like Step Out being credited to gallagher/wonder and someone

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Taxman - The Beatles and Start - The Jam.  Although the latter may have been a deliberate homage.

That one by Beck sounds the same as that too. Can't remember its name

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Des Nilsen"The 'In The Flesh' riff appears at 02:53 in 'Dunroamin, Duncarin, Dunlivin'.
The chorus melody from 'TFMH' appears at 01:20 in 'Go Fishing'.
Ah right, I misunderstood (entirely my fault, I wasn't paying attention).  I thought you were saying In The Flesh appeared in The Fletcher Memorial Home.

I'm afraid I've never listened to Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking since about 3 months after it came out, i.e. 20 years ago(!!).  So I'm not surprised I didn't notice, really...

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Tokyo Sexwhale"Taxman - The Beatles and Start - The Jam.  Although the latter may have been a deliberate homage.
I think it was, not 100% sure though.

QuoteAnd "Forget about You" by The Motors sounds EXACTLY like the theme to Grandstand.
Haha, yes!  That's it!  Been trying to place what "Forget About You" reminded me of years!  THANK you!  :-)

A Passing Turk Slipper

Too Drunk to Fuck (Dead Kennedys) and Gay Bar sound the same, as do Little Bitch by the Specials and that Bohemiam like you thing that used to be on the Vodaphone advert.

Cambrian Times

This will sound sad, but Mandy by Barry Manilow (or Westlife) and the chorus from Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights.

Oh and "Blue Monday" and "A Walk" by The Cure

Lord Spong

Quote from: "The Unicorn"

That one by Beck sounds the same as that too. Can't remember its name

The New Pollution.